Views:	1557
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	1358370

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelly1-HS4.PNG
Views:	950
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1358371

The Shelly 1 is a basic module designed to fit behind non-smart switches in traditional J-Box installs and provide smarts to the previously installed switch. Unlike other relay/switch members of the Shelly family this device isolates the relay inputs and outputs from mains voltages. This means this device can be applied to any situation where smart switching using a relay is desired such as irrigation where 24VAC is switched or a garage door push button where digital 24/12/5 volts is switched.

It uses a 16A relay so it can handle typical 14 gauge household wiring without being the weak link. It comes in models with UL rating and without this rating. Obviously a price premium exists for the additional certification, but the UL rating makes it legal for install in many jurisdictions. Contrast this with many other suppliers of equivalent WiFi devices where the relay is rated at 10 amps and no UL certification exists.

The switch side of the device does only work at mains level voltages so it is not possible to safely use the input to sense digital voltage levels or contact closures.

The unit is small with dimensions of about 1.5" diameter and 0.6" depth. This size makes it attractive for install in its primary design location behind existing switches. For those who are unlucky and have shallow J-Box (no room) or have metallic J-Box (blocks WiFi from most directions) may have difficulty with using the Shelly 1 in its intended application.

The electrical connection shown below illustrates the mains connections to Load and Neutral and the switch connection also switching with mains levels. The two sides of relay I and O can be connected to anything.

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	1621
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1358372

Additional settings for the Shelly 1 can be found at https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/#shelly1-1pm-settings
    and are shown bellow. The ones that may be of interest is how the switch input behaves, the polarity of the switch input and default state upon application of power

Assuming that the IP of the Shelly 1 is 192.168.0.123 (yours will be different) these settings can be applied using a browser with URL set with examples shown below. The red font is what will be the parts that you need to customize.

Code:
    http://[COLOR=#FF0000]192.168.0.123[/COLOR]/settings/relay/0?default_state=[COLOR=#FF0000]last[/COLOR]
    http://[COLOR=#FF0000]192.168.0.123[/COLOR]/settings/relay/0?default_state=[COLOR=#FF0000]last[/COLOR]&btn_type=[COLOR=#FF0000]edge[/COLOR]
    reset any Submitting a non-empty value will reset settings for the output to factory defaults
    name string Relay name
    default_state string Accepted values: off, on, last, switch
    btn_type string Accepted values: momentary, toggle, edge, detached, action
    btn_reverse bool Inverts the logical state of the input
    auto_on number Automatic flip back timer, seconds. Will engage after turning Shelly1 OFF
    auto_off number Automatic flip back timer, seconds. Will engage after turning Shelly1 ON
    btn_on_url string URL to access when SW input is activated
    btn_off_url string URL to access when SW input is deactivated
    out_on_url string URL to access when output is activated
    out_off_url string URL to access when output is deactivated
    longpush_url string URL to access on longpush
    shortpush_url string URL to access on shortpush
    schedule bool Enable schedule timer
    schedule_rules array of strings Rules for schedule activation, e.g. 0000-0123456-on

These can also be set interactively by navigating browser to http://192.168.0.123After selecting settings option the browser image will appear as:

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	950
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1358373

A common feature of the Shelly family is the Weekly Schedule options to allow the device to automatically control the output based upon day of week and time of day. This is equivalent to HS events doing the same, but does not depend upon HS. Note that HS will be informed via MQTT message of a new output state of the device so HS is able to monitor and provide notifications or remedial actions if the state update is not received when expected.

For the weekly schedule to function the Shelly 1 needs to be on the internet to use NTP time and the timezone setup. The device has an auto timezone discovery, but my experience is that it seems to always be New York (USA Eastern) rather than Los Angeles (USA Pacific) when left in the auto mode.

Plug In fails when I try to install, is it something I can fix?

Comment

Seems to be an updater issue

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	766
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1404098

I have two suggested approaches. #2 is likely going to be a preferred method.

1. First is to obtain the latest plugin version at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsShelly_5_4_0_5.zip and follow either 1a or 1b.
      1a. Extract file updater_override.txt and put it in the HS folder. Place the downloaded zip in /Updates3/Zips folder. With browser to to Plugins/manage menu. Click on Update Listing, Additional Interfaces and a section for Local should exist with mcsShelly only option available. Select it. Remove updater_override.txt so normal updater function returns.
      1b. Open install.txt from the zip. It contains the updater instructions for where each file in the zip should be placed. Manually copy each file from the zip into the path indicated by install.txt

2. mcsMQTT is a superset of mcsShelly and you will get the same end result with Shelly devices and have other capabilities available. You can get it from Updater (Plug-in/Manage). The latest version of this plugin is http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT_5_4_0_5.zip. If you have success with the updater to install it, then only HSPI_MCSMQTT.exe into HS folder and mcsMQTT_2020.dll into the /bin/mcsMQTT folder will be needed from the zip. If the updater fails with this one too then the same process is used as approach 1 for it.

Comment

Your link to the .zip files for the mcsShelly was exactly what I needed; that pdf gave me what I needed to get the mcsMQTT to work. I'm a rookie in this stuff, but love the support folks like you give here. Went with Homeseer due to the ability to literally do anything I can dream up, as long as I figure out how . . . Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X