Announcement: Modbus Plugin Rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Announcement: Modbus Plugin Rewrite

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
    Due to a number of issues with number transformation and connectivity I have decided to re-write the plugin to be based on the underlying libraries used my the popular modpoll tool.

This should give the plugin feature parting with modpoll and simplify implementation and troubleshooting.

At the same time we will also get additional protocol support and better logging.

Please bear with me as this is a huge architectural change.

If you’re interested in becoming a beta tester then please let me know. There are thousands of different devices out there that behave differently so the more testing we can do the better.

Thanks for your patience.

Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gavin,

First of all I appreciate all your effort on this PI which is key for me.

Of course you can count on me as beta tester. Although the PI is working very well for me I'm willing to contribute to a "better" version of the PI. This will also assure that all my needs (as incorporated in the current PI) are addressed.

However, in my opinion it is even more important that the persons with a connectivity issue participate as a beta tester as I can not judge whether these are solved by the architecture changes.

Do you have any timelines?

---
    John

Comment

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

I neither experience these issues with 6 Modbus devices and over 300 addresses (so I hope it is only an architecture change and will not affect the configuration of the addresses).

I hope that by using the underlying modpoll libraries not to much other errors will occur. After my stability issues were solved the PI is rock solid.

---
        John

Comment

Due to a number of issues with number transformation and connectivity I have decided to re-write the plugin to be based on the underlying libraries used my the popular modpoll tool.
          I'm IN at int16[value]% !

I'm new here but I have a lot of connected and functionning (RTU and TCP) modbus devices, including PLC, energy meters, 1wire servers, relays, and so on.
          Ok, not a lot, but more than the average

So, be kind to add me as 𝛽tester.

Mike

Comment

Rewtite

While in the process of rewriting, I would request the ability to act like a modbus client.

This would allow a PLC to query assigned homeseer devices.

You could create a table that attaches select homeseer devices to a modbus address. IIn my case, it would provide DSC alarm access to my PLC, better import of weather etc (using Labview with an OPC server at the moment, but a liottle top heavy, and the licenses are steep).

If you did implement this, I would be a ready beta tester.

Comment

Hi Gavin,

To let you know there will also be a benefit for me. Currently my UPS is integrated with my HS system using SMTP. As I want to keep the number of different interfaces as low as possible I started migration the use of the SMTP to Modbus. But I also get this error "The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets". Other TCP/IP modbus devices are working properly.

Using Modbus Poll I was able to read the registers.

---
              John

Comment

Feature request - more detailed info

Hi Gavin,

A feature request for the next release or later.

Is it possible to include the name of the modbus gateway in the error message. In my set-up three solar inverters are included that starts reporting errors in case there is no sun. This is normal behavior, it will only flood the error log. I was thinking to stop polling when the error message occurs. Currently I can not differentiate the error message from the three inverters.

---
                John

Comment

thanks Gavin! Looking forward to a better more robust plugin.

Comment

As one of the hopeful but extremely frustrated users that was never able to get your plug-in to work on a SEL Pro, I would be willing to participate in any beta testing that might help.

Comment

Hi Gavin,

I'm actually curious about the status of changing the architecture of the Plug In.

I hope you do not experience too many setbacks.

---
                      John

Comment

Hi Gavin,

Any update on the progress?

---
                        John

Comment

I can beta test as well, I have three separate completely different Modbus devices. Just bought the plug in and it is not working, again, so I will wait for the rewrite while doing some other testing.

Also second the request on Modbus client, I was really hoping to be able to import my homeseer data for zwave devices into a different HMI using Modbus as the gateway, but que sera sera

Comment

Apologies for the delay - some unfortunate personal circumstances (eye surgery, loss of job, loss of close family friend) have all culminated in the plugin taking a lower priority. I do still intend to launch a revised version. If anyone would like a refund based on non-performance I fully understand and will help facilitate this via HST.

Comment

Apologies for the delay - some unfortunate personal circumstances (eye surgery, loss of job, loss of close family friend) have all culminated in the plugin taking a lower priority. I do still intend to launch a revised version. If anyone would like a refund based on non-performance I fully understand and will help facilitate this via HST.

Hi Gavin, thanks for the update. Completely understandable that the new version of the PI has no priority. Your health, family and personal matters are more important. Good luck with everything.

---
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X