Finally Connected, Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Connected, Now What?

Finally! My inverter was replaced yesterday after power production started to fall gradually over time. It's nice that this stuff has a long warranty. So when they replaced the inverter, I had them plug into the RJ45 port. I connected to my router, enabled port 502 in the inverter and VOILA! MODBUS test sees the unit.

I'm jumping into the modbus plugin help file and I have no idea what to do next. I tried creating a device and gave it the address in the sunspec manual but I'm missing something somewhere. Has anyone connected to a Solaredge inverter? Can someone point me in the right direction please. I'm close.

FYI, my goal is to capture overall power production so I can spot when there is a problem. There are soooo many variables when it comes to power production, it's easy to just assume it was cloudier than I thought or whatever. In reality there were a couple of things that stuck out. I should have spoken up sooner and I had hoped that since all the data went through Solaredge that they would pick up on a problem. The bottom line was that after a year of wondering and not making about 2.5GW of power I finally complained. Hence the new inverter.

My goal is to capture and graph my own data and either export or use Jon00 database charting, or whatever will work.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-15-18 at 05.40 PM.PNG
Views:	328
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1247629

At least HS3 is catching something, but what?
    Sep-15 18:33:37 Modbus Error I'm not going to poll any remaining registers on this gateway as it seems there is a communication issue.
    Sep-15 18:33:37 Modbus Error Read error for Modbus Device
    Sep-15 18:33:37 Modbus Error Error in Read: The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets.
    Sep-15 18:33:37 Modbus Error Error in ReadValue: The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets.

Comment

Please post your Modbus gateway and device settings.

--
      John

Comment

This should cover it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 08.15 AM 001.PNG
Views:	403
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1247636Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 08.15 AM 002.PNG
Views:	401
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1247637Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 08.15 AM.PNG
Views:	378
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1247638

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          This should cover it. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 08.15 AM 001.PNG
Views:	403
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1247636Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 08.15 AM 002.PNG
Views:	401
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1247637Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-16-18 at 08.15 AM.PNG
Views:	378
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1247638
          Did you try only the last two decimals?
          ---
          John

Comment

I tried both two and three decimals since it does go over 100.
            Sep-16 11:32:32 Modbus Error I'm not going to poll any remaining registers on this gateway as it seems there is a communication issue.
            Sep-16 11:32:32 Modbus Error Read error for Modbus Device
            Sep-16 11:32:32 Modbus Error Error in Read: The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets.
            Sep-16 11:32:32 Modbus Error Error in ReadValue: The operation is not allowed on non-connected sockets.
            I also got this warning, could it be it only connects when I hit the "test" button? If that's the case I should have captured something when I clicked "test". Maybe?
            Sep-16 10:57:32 Modbus Start poll timer for gateeway [Modbus IP Gateway] every 300 seconds
            Sep-16 10:57:32 Modbus Warning Gateway [Modbus IP Gateway] status has changed to [Connected]
            Sep-16 10:57:32 Modbus Populating register database for gateway [Modbus IP Gateway]
            Sep-16 10:57:32 Modbus Warning Gateway [Modbus IP Gateway] status has changed to [Unreachable]
            Sep-16 10:57:21 Modbus Populating register database for gateway [Modbus IP Gateway]
            Sep-16 10:57:06 Modbus Populating register database for gateway [Modbus IP Gateway]

Comment

I've managed to avoid errors by changing the polling time to 1m55s since it appears the unit disconnects after 2 minutes of inactivity. However, I still don't see any messages coming through. I do have some new errors since trying various options on three devices. Not sure what is causing these errors.
              Sep-16 16:33:31 Modbus Error I'm not going to poll any remaining registers on this gateway as it seems there is a communication issue.
              Sep-16 16:33:31 Modbus Error Read error for Modbus Device
              Sep-16 16:33:31 Modbus Error Error in Read: Exception of type 'Modbus.SlaveException' was thrown. Function Code: 132 Exception Code: 1 - The function code received in the query is not an allowable action for the server (or slave). This may be because the function code is only applicable to newer devices, and was not implemented in the unit selected. It could also indicate that the server (or slave) is in the wrong state to process a request of this type, for example because it is unconfigured and is being asked to return register values.
              Sep-16 16:33:31 Modbus Error Error in ReadValue: Exception of type 'Modbus.SlaveException' was thrown. Function Code: 132 Exception Code: 1 - The function code received in the query is not an allowable action for the server (or slave). This may be because the function code is only applicable to newer devices, and was not implemented in the unit selected. It could also indicate that the server (or slave) is in the wrong state to process a request of this type, for example because it is unconfigured and is being asked to return register values.

Comment

I think I've tried just about every combination of settings, except the right one. Has anyone gotten the plug-in to read data from a solar inverter?

Comment

Progress! I tried a couple more options and have some results to show. The numbers don't make sense but at least they're not errors.
                  I have to poll more often than I prefer because I can't figure out how to keep the connection alive so for now polling is every 90s.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff that will help makes sense of it? I plan on capturing daily power production values
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Updating device [Heat Sink Temperature in C] - Address:104 - Type:HoldingRegister(Int16) to [-32768]
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Read Slave: 1 Address: 104 HoldingRegister:Int16 as -32768
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Reading Slave: 1 Address: 104 HoldingRegister:Int16
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Updating device [AC Lifetime energy Production] - Address:94 - Type:HoldingRegister(Float32) to [-7.78125]
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Read Slave: 1 Address: 94 HoldingRegister:Float32 as -7.78125
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Reading Slave: 1 Address: 94 HoldingRegister:Float32
                  Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Updating device [AC Power Value] - Address:84 - Type:HoldingRegister(Int16) to [0]
                  Sep-17 19:12:39 Modbus Debug Read Slave: 1 Address: 84 HoldingRegister:Int16 as 0
                  Sep-17 19:12:39 Modbus Debug Reading Slave: 1 Address: 84 HoldingRegister:Int16
                  Sep-17 19:12:39 Modbus Debug Polling Modbus IP Gateway. Reading 3 registers from slaves

Name:	Screen Shot 09-17-18 at 07.01 PM.PNG
Views:	334
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1247905

Comment

Progress! I tried a couple more options and have some results to show. The numbers don't make sense but at least they're not errors.
                    I have to poll more often than I prefer because I can't figure out how to keep the connection alive so for now polling is every 90s.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff that will help makes sense of it? I plan on capturing daily power production values
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Updating device [Heat Sink Temperature in C] - Address:104 - Type:HoldingRegister(Int16) to [-32768]
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Read Slave: 1 Address: 104 HoldingRegister:Int16 as -32768
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Reading Slave: 1 Address: 104 HoldingRegister:Int16
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Updating device [AC Lifetime energy Production] - Address:94 - Type:HoldingRegister(Float32) to [-7.78125]
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Read Slave: 1 Address: 94 HoldingRegister:Float32 as -7.78125
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Reading Slave: 1 Address: 94 HoldingRegister:Float32
                    Sep-17 19:12:40 Modbus Debug Updating device [AC Power Value] - Address:84 - Type:HoldingRegister(Int16) to [0]
                    Sep-17 19:12:39 Modbus Debug Read Slave: 1 Address: 84 HoldingRegister:Int16 as 0
                    Sep-17 19:12:39 Modbus Debug Reading Slave: 1 Address: 84 HoldingRegister:Int16
                    Sep-17 19:12:39 Modbus Debug Polling Modbus IP Gateway. Reading 3 registers from slaves

Name:	Screen Shot 09-17-18 at 07.01 PM.PNG
Views:	334
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1247905
                    Did you enanble/disable zero based addressing. This will shift the register address with one.

---
                    John

Comment

Enabled zero based and I have more usable numbers, thanks! I can reliably read current AC production but other variables don't make sense. For example the heat sink temp is in celcius on the inverter display but imports a number in the 2500-3500 range. The same weird numbers for total AC production. If someone else has gotten further along than me, please post.

Comment

Enabled zero based and I have more usable numbers, thanks! I can reliably read current AC production but other variables don't make sense. For example the heat sink temp is in celcius on the inverter display but imports a number in the 2500-3500 range. The same weird numbers for total AC production. If someone else has gotten further along than me, please post.
                        Register 40107 is the heat sink temp scale factor. I think you have to correct for that in the Modbus PI.

Can you read the temperature on the display? Is the temperature between 25.00 and 35.00? In that case you have to divide by 100.

---
                        John

Comment

Thanks, I'm seeing quite a few scale registers as I examine more closely.

Yesterday the heat sink temp was showing what appeared to be numbers I could work with. Today, I have a heat sink temp of 32768 and a heat sink scale value of 65534 or 65535 depending on what it displays. I'm not sure what changed overnight to have numbers that don't fit the register. I don't really care about the heat sink temp, I just decided to use it to learn how to setup the Modbus devices.

The AC Power Scale was 65535 until it reached 3kW then the power scale number changed to 0 and then later afternoon it went back to 65535. Not sure why but it seems consistent so I can work with that. Baby steps.

Comment

I created an event that disables the Modbus communication just before sunset and enables it again about sunrise. The problem is that communication does not start unless I press the "Test" button to wake things up. Is there a way to circumvent this?

One more thing, I added a couple of devices and all heck broke loose.
                            Sep-21 16:02:11 Modbus Error I'm not going to poll any remaining registers on this gateway as it seems there is a communication issue.
                            Sep-21 16:02:11 Modbus Error Read error for AC Power Value
                            Sep-21 16:02:11 Modbus Error Error in Read: Response was not of expected transaction ID. Expected 918, received 917.
                            Sep-21 16:02:11 Modbus Error Error in ReadValue: Response was not of expected transaction ID. Expected 918, received 917.
                            I deleted the devices, but now even the devices that were reporting are not reporting the same values. For example the AC Power scaling was reporting one of four numbers, 1, 65533, 65534, 65535. Now I am getting a -1.

I have no idea what to do or where something could have gone wrong.
                            Last edited by racerfern; September 21, 2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Hi there

I can’t help but just wanted to say I’m really interested in this as we’ve only just had solar panels fitted with a SolarEdge inverter and would love to link it through to Homeseer.
                              - Am I right in saying that Modbus won’t work over WiFi?
                              - Have you used a Modbus sniffer/analyser to see the data on your network?
                              - Have you tried to get support from SolarEdge themselves?

Cheers
                              Jez

Comment

Working...
                              X