No announcement yet.

Finally Connected, Now What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a screenshot of the daily production for Nov 14, 2019 from SolarEdge interface and a screenshot of the same date from the Modbus plug-in and Jon00 Database Charting. The numbers match and it's just a matter of how much resolution you're looking for. "Simply" run an RJ45 from the inverter to your router and enable the port on the inverter. The rest is done in the plug-in and with events.

I don't have any scripts for this, I enable Modbus plugin at sunrise and disable at sunset via an event. I have never gone as far as to store the numbers in a database to store for future comparisons or calculations.

For me it was more a mental exercise than a need since the SolarEdge mobile app and desktop website show me all I want to know. I will say that when my utility changes its rate structure to time of day demand then I would be getting fancier with this stuff (when to run the dryer, warm the hot tub, etc)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 11-17-19 at 09.30 AM.PNG
Views:	209
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1340738Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 11-17-19 at 09.31 AM.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1340739

Comment

Hello -
      I recently installed a SolarEdge inverter and also Modbus.
      Where are you getting the Modbus register data? I see different numbers on several discussions...
      I did find the PDF that listed all of the addresses, names, types, units, descriptions. I have enabled the modus gateway and tested it, it says it has tested successfully.
      I am not getting any values to register, not sure what I am missing -
      Thanks
      BC-

Name:	Modbus.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	1377085

Name:	modbus gateway device.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1377084

Name:	modbus device.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1377081
      Attached Files

Comment

beachcruiser I was going to type a reply but then realized that my posts on the second page of this discussion still apply. So...

Click on Add Device, then put in the register numbers that apply to your inverter, they're not necessarily the same as mine.

Have you enabled Modbus on the inverter itself? I did notice that the Modbus PI always says "Passed connectivity test..." Don't rely on it.

Comment

@racefern -
          I did read the previous posts but I still was having an issue...If I did that out of order I apologize.
          The invertor I have appears to be the same as your codes..maybe I don't have the correct register numbers...I assumed that both were SolarEdge that it would be the same? I have looked online and I am not coming up with anything except the sunspec
          I did enable the Modbus on the inverter, shortly I will be at the site so I will verify that it is enabled. Below snip is from this morning, I assumed that it is working by this log file. The passed test message I had a doubt in it as well.
          Thanks-
          BC

Name:	modbus gateway log.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1377102

Comment

What model inverter do you have?

You should find the Inverter Model MODBUS Register Mappings. I copied and pasted from mine, the following three registers that I use.
            40084 1 I_AC_Power int16 Watts AC Power value
            40085 1 I_AC_Power_SF int16 AC Power scale factor
            40094 2 I_AC_Energy_WH acc32 WattHours AC Lifetime Energy production

Use just the last two digits, 84,85,94 so remove the "400" in your previous screenshots. Again, this is all for my model. I've attached it here but yours may be completely different.
            sunspec-implementation-technical-note.pdf

Comment

SE43.2K - USRP0BNU4
              Should I have the "signed value" checked?

Comment

For register
                84, yes.
                85, no.
                94, no. Also note that this is int32 not int16

See attached for the gateway settings I use.

Have you created any virtual devices to hold some values?

Name:	Screen Shot 04-12-20 at 03.30 PM.PNG
Views:	81
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1377128

Comment

I had multiple registers selected.
                  Have not created any virtual devices....Can you share how you convert the values with the virtual devices? In the advanced tab, I am seeing the values on 84 and 92 now.

BC-

Comment

It sounds like you're making progress.

But first I need to tell you about register 85 as it's a strange one. For some reason, this register can have a few different values.
                    If 85 has a value of 0 then the value of register 84 is the actual power production at that moment.
                    If 85 has a value of 65533 then the value of register 84 needs to be multiplied by .001
                    If 85 has a value of 65534 then the value of register 84 needs to be multiplied by .01
                    If 85 has a value of 65535 then the value of register 84 needs to be multiplied by .1

I assure you I'm not holding back anything but when you haven't thought about something for a long time, you forget all the hoops you had to jump through.

Virtual devices:
                    1-Yesterday's Power Production Total (for tracking purposes)
                    2-Today's Production Beginning Number (for math and tracking, you need to know where you started) This is the overall grand total
                    3-Today's Power Production (this keeps climbing throughout the day)
                    4-Last Power Production Number ( for graphing and accumulating totals) this will also let you know if there is a problem with reading the unit since the numbers should always be changing)
                    5-Current Power Production (for tracking and accumulation)
                    6-Solar Stuck (this is a counter)
                    7-Set Production Flag (if solar stuck climbs to 2 then set this flag to "no good".

Name:	Screen Shot 04-12-20 at 04.01 PM.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1377136

Comment

I am making some progress-
                      would you be willing to share a few screenshots of how your virtual devices are set up, really interested in the "set production flag".
                      How do you know to check the "signed value"?
                      also - when I poll the modbus it says the plugin not set?
                      BC-

Comment

I don't poll the Modbus. I left the default settings in the configuration tab.
                        Someone in the modbus forum said to check the signed value. I think it was John245
                        Do you mean actually creating the virtual devices or how they are used in events? I don't want to send unnecessary screenshots.

Comment

How you use them.

Comment

OK, Here are screenshots of all the events that I use. It will take a few posts but hopefully they're in a logical order. AFA events, there are a number of different ways to do the same thing in HS so if you come up with something better please post it.

Name:	Screen Shot 04-12-20 at 04.37 PM.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1377149

Name:	Screen Shot 04-12-20 at 04.37 PM 001.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	1377150

Comment

Name:	Screen Shot 04-12-20 at 04.38 PM.PNG
Views:	74
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1377152Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 04-12-20 at 04.38 PM 001.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1377153

Comment

Wow!
                                I will need a few to digest that. I really appreciate the information, I have communication with the invertor now. On to working out the notifications for my set up.
                                BC-

Comment

Working...
                                X