Plugin Re-Write

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin Re-Write

The design and architecture for the new version of the plugin will be started in November. We expect a new release in January providing:

1. Increased stability of the plugin
    2. Better Linux/Pi support
    3. Support for true Modbus/TCP (and UDP)
    4. Bug fixes around register calculations and conversion
    5. Better error handling of exceptions such as losing connectivity to a gateway, serial failures,etc.

Thanks to all of the supporters of the plugin for your patience during a trying time and I hope the new release meets your expectations.
    Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
    The design and architecture for the new version of the plugin will be started in November. We expect a new release in January providing:

5. Better error handling of exceptions such as losing connectivity to a gateway, serial failures,etc.

Thanks to all of the supporters of the plugin for your patience during a trying time and I hope the new release meets your expectations.
    Hi Beerygaz,

Awesome to have a release date for the improved PI.

Will you start from scratch or update the current PI?

Love to test un case you have a ß version available.

---
    John

Comment

Hi Beerygaz,

January passed away.

Do you have a new expected release date?

---
      John

Comment

You’ll be pleased to hear development has started on the new release. No firm date as yet as I have to balance work and plug-in but we’re getting there.

A new modbus library and tighter C# code should both contribute to better stability and new features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

You’ll be pleased to hear development has started on the new release. No firm date as yet as I have to balance work and plug-in but we’re getting there.

A new modbus library and tighter C# code should both contribute to better stability and new features

Sounds great, looking forward to it.

—-
          John

Comment

Good to hear. I have been looking on ebay for Modbus to Wifi-adaptors and not sure if they support Modbus TCP or RTU over TCP/IP. If I purchase your old plugin will that license work on the new?

Comment

I know this is taking a little longer than planned but bear with us. We're changing the architecture of the whole plugin. This is going to mean a whole new plugin and it will mean reconfiguring everything from scratch and I know some users have put a lot of effort into creating devices and rules for those devices.

Writing a "conversion" script will delay release and may only benefit a few folks.

Any comments? Would everyone be happy (ok, perhaps happy is the wrong word) starting again?

Comment

I know this is taking a little longer than planned but bear with us. We're changing the architecture of the whole plugin. This is going to mean a whole new plugin and it will mean reconfiguring everything from scratch and I know some users have put a lot of effort into creating devices and rules for those devices.

Writing a "conversion" script will delay release and may only benefit a few folks.

Any comments? Would everyone be happy (ok, perhaps happy is the wrong word) starting again?
                Hi Gavin,

To give you an idea of the amount of work I will have:
                1. 296 modbus devices (some of them have a significant amount of status texts)
                2. > 30 events using modbus devices
                3. > 10 scripts using modbus devices
                4. > 60 modbus devices used in HSTouch projects

Will it be a new PI so I can run both in parallel and migrate in little steps?

Can we not change the device reference number manually to the one used by the current PI? In case this is not possible it will also break my loging of the values (using Device History).

Do you have any tmelines. Not to push you, but based on this I can decide if I will add more devices/scripts/events taking into account the required reconfiguration.

---
                John

Comment

Ok, well that settles it. We’ll find a way to keep the device references! I can’t make it a second PI as the commercials, licensing, etc get in the way.

We’ll work on a conversion tool.

Comment

Ok, well that settles it. We’ll find a way to keep the device references! I can’t make it a second PI as the commercials, licensing, etc get in the way.

Thanks for keeping the device refrences.

Looking forward to the upgrade.

---
                    John

Comment

Hi,

Any updates on the rewrite? Maybe a beta release we can test.

At the moment it is not possible to start the current plugin on ubuntu. Most likely due to mismatch with the NLog.dll file version compared to the expected version.

Regards,
                      Christian

Comment

Hi Gavin,

Almost 1Q since your last update.

How are the things progressing? Still planning a release of a re-write?

Do you need alpha or beta testers?

John

Comment

This has taken far longer than I anticipated. However we are making good progress.

I’ll post some screenshots shortly of how the plugin is coming along.

One of the hardest parts is working on a reliable migration/upgrade strategy as this is a complete rewrite.

Comment

This has taken far longer than I anticipated. However we are making good progress.

One of the hardest parts is working on a reliable migration/upgrade strategy as this is a complete rewrite.

Hi Gavin,

Looking forward to the d
                            First screenshots.

Take your time. As it will be a migration in Te production environment a smooth process is essential.

I prefer a longer period to wait instead a lot of issues.

—-
                            John

Comment

Any beta releases soon? Don't need the migration just something that works on linux.

Regards,
                              Christian

Comment

Working...
                              X