Plcbus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Well, I've been watching this thread on and off - it appears to have gone quiet. Is there any news - particularly of any plugin development?

Also, can anybody here enlighten me - is PLCBus a proprietary protocol? It sounds interesting - assuming a HS plugin is forthcoming anyway - but I would be a little worried about putting all my eggs in an unknown basket. Are other companies likely/able to jump in?

I see from Kevin's website that the target market for these products is China - and without wishing to offend anybody by stereotyping - I wonder how strong that market is (considering the status of the HA market anywhere outside of the US is dismal). I'm just trying to look at where the future lies for this protocol.

Thanks
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sjcato View Post
        Well, I've been watching this thread on and off - it appears to have gone quiet. Is there any news - particularly of any plugin development?

Also, can anybody here enlighten me - is PLCBus a proprietary protocol? It sounds interesting - assuming a HS plugin is forthcoming anyway - but I would be a little worried about putting all my eggs in an unknown basket. Are other companies likely/able to jump in?

I see from Kevin's website that the target market for these products is China - and without wishing to offend anybody by stereotyping - I wonder how strong that market is (considering the status of the HA market anywhere outside of the US is dismal). I'm just trying to look at where the future lies for this protocol.

Thanks
        Steve
        Can't speak for plcbus but the same market has given us x10-2 - and pretty much everything I have bought from Kevin has been better technically, functionally, and even aesthetically - if anything, europe is the backwater looking at these products.

Who can actually say that following a complete kitchen refit at home - the waf was such to prompt the quation "can we have some nice switches like the lounge" - high WAF indeed.

Malarcy

Comment

A board user ordered the C# code of the Direct Input Plugin a few monthes ago, in order to build a PLCBUS plugin. I haven't heard of him since then.
          --
          stipus

Comment

I just finish my setup program for PLCBUS USB Computer Interface.
            Screen Shoot : http://x10-hk.com/store/images/plcbus/uc_1_1024x701.jpg
            User Manual : http://x10-hk.com/store/manual/plcbu...ftware_029.pdf

And I develop this program by VB 6.0 and it support ALL the command of that hardware. Now is available for FREE download.

And I find that some function is hidden or not mention in User Manual.
            1) For all PLCBUS dimmer module , it have Pre-Set dim function and this function have two parameter , one is Dim Level in % another one is fade rate in number of seconds.
            So you can setup your dimmer like this :
            Dim to 75% in 10 seconds

2) For the scenes address setup , you can setup an scenes , e.g. Watch DVD mode :
            You have A1 , A2 ( Non-Dimmable Appliance Module ) and A3 A4 ( Dimmable Dimmer Module )
            A1 , A2 OFF ( No matter they are ON or OFF , final result is OFF )
            A3 , A4 dim to 30% bright

In the PLCBUS command center user manual , they only mention how to setup the ON device , didn't mention how to setup OFF device.

3) Some function only available on PLCBUS USB Computer Interface , e.g. All User Lights ON \ OFF , All User Unit OFF
            Normally , X10 have All Lights ON \ OFF and All Unit OFF , but it only support under same House Code , but this PLCBUS USB Computer Interface suport to turn ON\OFF ALL the lights under the same user code. No matter the device in different House Code

4) Normally , PLCBUS-4206 Two Scene Wall Switch is only support to setup two scene , but by input some special keystroke , it can setup as FOUR scene wall switch.

As mention in previous message , after consult with factory R&D , they are difficult to add the support on send out the Local ON\OFF status when press the button manually.

Because in PLCBUS , it have two working mode , one is Single Phase , another is Three Phase.
            And all the command in Single Phase and Three Phase is different format.
            The work flow under three phase like this :
            I send out the A1 ON command on Phase 1 ( in Three Phase Command format )
            The PLCBUS Three Phase Coupler will receive the command and turn into Single Phase format and amplify it into three Phase 1 \ 2 \ 3

And it is difficult to add support on all PLCBUS Micro Module and Wall Switch to switch between Single Phase or Three Phase format for send out Local ON\OFF status.

Finally , I still try to write an plug-in for Homeseer , but it is not easy for me. Is that any volunteer here interesting in develop an Homeseer plug-in for PLCBUS ?

Comment

As mention in previous message , after consult with factory R&D , they are difficult to add the support on send out the Local ON\OFF status when press the button manually.
              They could make it work for "single phase" only. 99% of the residential customers in Europe (using 230V) are using single phase in their house. How does the switch know if it's installed on a single phase, or multiple phase ?

Is that any volunteer here interesting in develop an Homeseer plug-in for PLCBUS ?
              The plugin would already have been released if PLC bus was interesting for me ... but if the computer doesn't know when a switch is activated locally, PLC BUS is no use for me.

Consider a simple turn-off timer (the basic of home automation)...

IF corridor light HAS BEEN ON FOR MORE THAN 20 Minutes THEN
              TURN OFF corridor light

How can I achieve this with PLC BUS ? The computer needs to poll all lights status every minute ?
              --
              stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post

IF corridor light HAS BEEN ON FOR MORE THAN 20 Minutes THEN
                TURN OFF corridor light

How can I achieve this with PLC BUS ? The computer needs to poll all lights status every minute ?
                Now , no "clever" way to achieve it. Two stupid way :

1) All the device is install Micro Module on the ceiling or in wall switch backbox. Install transmitter module behind the wall switch for control all the device's ON \ OFF , so the USB computer interface can listen and capture all the signal on the power line to keep monitor which device is ON or OFF

And this method can check all the PLCBUS device's ON\OFF\DIM\Bright action but it will increase whole system's cost.

2) Poll the specific house code's ON device or specific unit code's status every minute to keep tracking.

Kevin Lo

Comment

The plugin would already have been released if PLC bus was interesting for me ... but if the computer doesn't know when a switch is activated locally, PLC BUS is no use for me.
                  Are you interesting in Z-Wave?
                  I have some samples of new Z-Wave, Radiator Thermostat (RA PLUS-w) from Danfoss that I can send for free to some one who can write HomeSeer PlugIn for this unit.

Comment

I have been very interested in z-wave since it all started...

However, here in Europe we don't have much choice, and the Z-Troller computer interface is not available. This means we can't really do anything with Z-Wave.
                    --
                    stipus

Comment

1) All the device is install Micro Module on the ceiling or in wall switch backbox. Install transmitter module behind the wall switch for control all the device's ON \ OFF , so the USB computer interface can listen and capture all the signal on the power line to keep monitor which device is ON or OFF
                      What is the transmitter module you are talking about ?
                      Is this the micro-module ref PLCBUS-2269 ?

It's really too bad the factory can't do anything... I would really like PLC Bus... but without the "report local action" feature it's too expensive to setup something really usefull, and we can't use the crystal switches.
                      --
                      stipus

Comment

What is the transmitter module you are talking about ?
                        Is this the micro-module ref PLCBUS-2269 ?
                        Yes .
                        For Micro-Module , the transmitter is PLCBUS-2269 Four Scenes Micro Module. For Crystal Wall Switch , the transmitter is PLCBUS-4206 Two Scenes Crystal Wall Switch ( You can change PLCBUS-4206 into four scenes )

Comment

I have been very interested in z-wave since it all started...
                          However, here in Europe we don't have much choice, and the Z-Troller computer interface is not available. This means we can't really do anything with Z-Wave.
                          I am also from Europe. In the present time I use a ZCU010, PC interface from ACT. This one are discontinued now but ACT will deliver new one probably this year. Also in a short time I awaiting a new Z-Wave LAN Interface - HouseControl: http://www.smarthus.info/product_inf...oducts_id=2085
                          This interface will be supplied w/software but integration with a HomeSeer can be interesting...

Comment

There seems to be a whole range of zwave equipment listed at smarthus - has anyone got any details of who makes this stuff or any more info on the range?

The those (like me) who are linguistically challenged the tech descriptions and and pdf's appear to be in English.

Looks like a range of micromodules, plug in units, remotes and battery swotches etc. - with the lan based controller this could be interesting.

Malarcy

Comment

http://x10-hk.com/store/manual/plcbus/plcbus-1141.pdfhttp://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...roducts_id=165

I controll the modules from scripts:
                              This is on a 3 phase system for setting D1 (Home,Unit) to ON (UserCode is Hex 33)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

sub main()

dim PLCBUS, port

'02 06 33 30 62 64 00 1C 03 hex to send to 3 phase system (33 user code) (30=D1) (62 64=ON replace with 63 00=OFF)

port = 7 'set com port number

PLCBUS = chr(&H02) & chr(&H06) & chr(&H33) & chr(&H30) & chr(&H62) & chr(&H64) & chr(&H00) & chr(&H1C) & chr(&H03)

hs.OpenComPort port,"9600,N,8,1",1,"",""

hs.SendToComPort port,PLCBUS
                              hs.WaitSecs 1
                              hs.SendToComPort port,PLCBUS

hs.CloseComPort port

end sub

Comment

I really hope that somone is going to do a plugin for PLCBUS.
                                I'm currently in the process of reaching an agreement with Kevin to buid the plugin. I have no news as I think he is currently away in holliday, and didn't respond to my emails since August 14th.
                                --
                                stipus

Comment

Working...
                                X