Find device by IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find device by IP

jasv, happy to see the plugin in the official list.

TPLinkSmartHome Plugin version 19.4.18.1

Just installed on a new HS3 server by using the installer. Worked great.

I'm now trying to use the Find Device by IP. The dialog box pops up and I put in the IP address (192.168.0.4) and press enter. The dialog box goes away and the IP address populates. However, there is not any sort of button the start the find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tplink1.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1303767

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    jasv,

I'm now trying to use the Find Device by IP. The dialog box pops up and I put in the IP address (192.168.0.4) and press enter. The dialog box goes away and the IP address populates. However, there is not any sort of button the start the find.
    Just to be sure,
    1) Can you ping that address from a cmd window?
    2) If so, have you tried either the broadcast or Kasa approach.
    3) When you click on the broadcast do you see more than one IP address (indicating you have more than one network card). If you do, you need to click on one.

I do seem to have a bit of a problem when there is only one TP-link device on the network. If that is your case, let me know and I can test further.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Sorry for the tardy response.

Turns out it was my bad. The IP address for the device I was trying to add was not static and therefore was changing on me whenever I plugged the device in. It is now configured as static in DHCP and I was able to add it fine.

On thing that might have helped would be a message indicating the IP address was not found rather than being silent. Maybe even a popup to tell the person some things to look at.

Thanks.

ETA, you mentioned potential probs if only one device existed. In fact, this is the only tp-link device on this network. Once I got the IP right, it added fine.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
        Sorry for the tardy response.

Turns out it was my bad. The IP address for the device I was trying to add was not static and therefore was changing on me whenever I plugged the device in. It is now configured as static in DHCP and I was able to add it fine.

On thing that might have helped would be a message indicating the IP address was not found rather than being silent. Maybe even a popup to tell the person some things to look at.

Thanks.
        Good idea on the error message. Will add that to the next release.
        James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

FYI, I auto added 2 of 3 TP-LINK HS110 plugs no problem. The third HS110 is out in the backyard at limit of wifi but it shows up in the Kasa app. This unit would not auto add so I used Kasa app on phone to get MAC address, then scanned home network to get the IP address and added it via IP address add. It works fine even though it is not always on the net, values populate in HomeSeer.

Comment

Working...
          X