Plugin Doesn't talk to devices after IP address change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin Doesn't talk to devices after IP address change

Hey I have noticed now using this for a good bit that if my Lights IP address change the plugin stops talking to them untill i shut it off and restart it. It can see them if i do the search it says already added to system but the plugin reports the old ip and doesn't control them. until i restart the plugin

Assign a static IP to the devices?

Comment

I would consider that a bug with the plugin. I thought I had that covered but I will need to take a look. It might be a week or so since things are busy right now.
      Thanks for bringing it up.
      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I don't know if this was ever corrected or not, but I ran into it today.
        I had to change the IP address for my bulb, and it works with the KASA app but not the plug-in.
        the plugin sees the correct IP when I check for it in setup, but sees the OLD IP in the list of devices and in the device itself.
        I have tried resetting it, redetecting it, several times.
        I turned off the plugin - turned it back on and redetected, no effect.
        I uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, no effect.
        I looked for a config file to remove or edit and couldn't find one.

help??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture16.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1451563Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture17.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	1451564

Attached Files

Comment

There is a limitation in the data that the TPLink devices provide the plugin. When I poll the devices they return a MAC address but not the IP address. I use the windows command "arp" which will give me the mac to IP address reference. That arp command is subject to a cache and it will sometimes take a while to refresh. There are manual ways to force refresh but not sure that is helpful.
          If you discover using the "IP" there isn't an issue.

I know that what I wrote doesn't solve it but unless someone knows how to get an IP from a MAC from the OS, I don't have a clean solution. Does anyone know how to get an IP from a MAC other than doing an "arp -d" and "arp -a"?
          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

So i should just wait and it will resolve itself?
            i'm not sure what you meant by " If you discover using the "IP" there isn't an issue. ", cause i did do the find device by IP and it didn't fix anything.
            i'll give it a few days, thanks.

Comment

If you created the HS device using the IP, all should be good. Are you having any trouble controlling the device?
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Yeah, HS does not communicate with it at all. The status page gives the wrong IP still, as does the device, while the setup page shows the correct IP. Like in the screenshots.
                should i delete the existing device and see if it will create a new device with correct IP?

i'll have to redo all my events programming using the old device

Comment

Originally posted by RogerL View Post
                  Yeah, HS does not communicate with it at all. The status page gives the wrong IP still, as does the device, while the setup page shows the correct IP. Like in the screenshots.
                  should i delete the existing device and see if it will create a new device with correct IP?

i'll have to redo all my events programming using the old device
                  Yes. Deleting the device should fix it. And yes, you will need to update the events.

Are you using HS3 or HS4? Still working on it, but I am building a auto-refresh of the IP in the HS4 plugin.
                  James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Im still using HS3. Will delete and rebuild. There should no need to change IP again in the future.

thanks

Comment

Good news, the delete & redetect worked, and the only fixes i had to do in events were direct commands to the bulb from HS (on/off) as the events using the plugin commands stayed the same.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Glad it is working
                        James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

As an FYI, the HS4 version now will automatically update the IP address if it is changed by DHCP.
                          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Working...
                          X