TP-Link plugin high CPU usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP-Link plugin high CPU usage

Several times my Win10 system has gotten real sluggish. So slow that I had to reboot to resolve. A few times I have been able to look at task manager and could tell it was the TP-Link plugin but then had to reboot. Today I caught it happening. First I saw an error in the HS3 log. Snip below. Then looked at task manager and the plugin was using lots of CPU. Did a snip on a few of the details. Then, stopped the plugin and restarted. All is normal. The only thing out of the ordinary was the satellite internet went out shortly before. Lots of snow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tplink status 3.png Views:	0 Size:	4.3 KB ID:	1354531

Click image for larger version

Name:	tplink status 2.png
Views:	588
Size:	539.2 KB
ID:	1354534

I've taken a look at the code and don't see anything obvious but based on your input, it is likely the plugin. I will spend more time on it.
    thanks .
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Thanks. Let me know if there is anything more in terms of info I can provide. The frequency is unpredictable. Might be a while before it occurs again. Very willing to run debug code if that would help.

My guess is that is has to do with communicating with the tp-link host and handling of errors/recovery when it fails.

Comment

The plugin is again using a lot of CPU and memory. I can leave it in this state for a while in case you want to try debug. Let me know. I'll let it sit until it beings to cause problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tplink PI high CPU 1.png
Views:	527
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	1357696

Comment

I'm having the same high CPU usage (HS4) after about three days. When the plugin starts it's very low CPU usage and runs fine for a couple of days or so then after about three days it goes way up (usage like from .05 to 26.5). I'm running on a Windows 10 i7 Intel NUC so when the CPU goes up like this I can hear the fan start running hard, that's how I know the plugin is having an issue. To fix this I shut down the plugin then restart it and good for a few days again. Any ideas how to fix this OR what should I do to debug to help out fixing it?

Comment

Happening quite often here as well on Win7 box running latest HS3
            May-27 11:03:55 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 10:43:55 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 10:18:38 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 9:44:25 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 8:28:07 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 7:56:12 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 7:17:12 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-27 5:13:44 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-26 6:23:01 PM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-26 11:09:42 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-26 7:24:07 AM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-25 5:29:23 PM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it
            May-25 3:38:11 PM TPLinkSmartHome Error polling timer seems to have stopped, retstarting it

Comment

I am focused on writing a version of the plugin for HS4. The code has been re-written from scratch and it is faster without any hints of CPU issues so far. I should have a beta in mid-June unless work gets busier.
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Thanks Jasv. No worries. My system is in the cellar so I only can hear the CPU fan winding if I'm in there. Now that I know this is the behavior I'll just stop/start the plugin every few days to fix it. Can't wait for the HS4 plugin!

Comment

I hate to bring an old thread back to life but I'm seeing the exact same behavior - every 2 or 3 days my CPU fan starts going crazy and the TP-Link plugin is using up an entire core. Disabling then re-enabling the plugin will immediately fix the problem, but only for 2 or 3 days at a time. Is there anything I can / should do to prevent this (or gather more data when this happens)? It's a Win 10 laptop running the latest version of the plugin (2022.12.30.0) on HS4 Pro 4.2.18.3. Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	83
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1612657

Comment

Working...
                  X