Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin intermittently crashing

Hi -

About every 5 days HS can no longer control my TP Link devices and I find the plugin crashed on my Homeseer PC. I am using a Hometroller Pro S6 with the latest (non-beta) version of HS3Pro installed. Here is the message that I find:

HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome has stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 19.10.7.1
    Problem Signature 03: 5d9bfe6c
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 4.8.3928.0
    Problem Signature 06: 5d39000b
    Problem Signature 07: 51a
    Problem Signature 08: d
    Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentNullException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.320.65
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

John

I reported the high CPU usage on the plugin before and I'll bet this is happening to you too. I started shutting down the plugin nightly and restarting it again. This is a workaround and the HS4 plugin is in the works to fix this hopefully.

Comment

I am aware of the problem with with the hIgh CPU. I've been focused on HS4 and will not be working on trying to fix the HS3 version. Having said that, I do still use the HS3 version in 2 locations with over 10 tplink devices. How man devices do you have?
      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I have about 32 TP-link devices. 4 Power strips and 8 HS110. I am okay with a nightly shutdown though. It crashed last night actually and until I clear the crash message on the console HS events stop working too (at least I noticed that my motion sensor activities were not triggering).

I'm not familiar with an automated way to restart a plugin. WOuld you be able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Comment

I have 40 devices four of those being power strips so children of the IP address, all static. Since they are all switches I don't poll them other than default. I don't poll any for power.

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni View Post
            I have about 32 TP-link devices. 4 Power strips and 8 HS110. I am okay with a nightly shutdown though. It crashed last night actually and until I clear the crash message on the console HS events stop working too (at least I noticed that my motion sensor activities were not triggering).

I'm not familiar with an automated way to restart a plugin. WOuld you be able to point me in the right direction?

Thank you!
            I use Jon00's plugin. You can down load it from his site. Once installed just create an event that shuts the plugin down then restart it. Works great. Since I started doing this no more errors.

Comment

Excellent - will do - thank you!

Comment

Strangely, it got worse after implementing the nightly stop/start event. Now it crashed daily. Here's the HS log. The plugin restarts nightly at 1:45AM.
                Jun-28 3:49:48 AM Warning Plugin TPLinkSmartHome is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                Jun-28 3:49:48 AM Warning Dropping event callbacks due to full queue (Type: RUN_SCRIPT_SPECIAL) (2000 entries), system may be too busy, plugins and HSTouch may not receive all device updates
                Jun-28 3:49:46 AM Error Calling HSEvent in plugin TPLinkSmartHome, Instance :Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                Jun-28 3:45:43 AM Warning Dropping event callbacks due to full queue (Type: RUN_SCRIPT_SPECIAL) (2000 entries), system may be too busy, plugins and HSTouch may not receive all device updates
                The bad part is that when the plugin crashes it also impacts my other events, even those that are not related to TPLink. For example, I have motion sensors that turn on ZWave lights in certain rooms. The way I know that the TPLink plugin has crashed is that those events no longer work. When I go to the HS console and click the Windows error message to close the plugin, those events start triggering from the past.

Comment

This look to me like you have a bad device. In my experience the devices that are least stable are the power strips. By bad device, I don't mean a bad TPlink hardware but maybe a corrupt tplink virtual device.

You do have way more devices than I do. The approach I took with the HS3 plugin was faulty in that I spawned a thread each time it polled and with as many devices as you have, I can see that possible a thread would not finish before the next one starts.

Are you using HS4 yet? I am behind in completing that plugin since I got slammed with work and I am have a dissertation proposal due at the end of the summer. However, my HS4 plugin might be ok for simple monitoring and events. Color bulb actions are not yet supported. If you think you want to try that, I might be able to get something to you in by July 6th.

Otherwise, just as wild guess, limit the 1 minute polling to only critical devices and remove any emeter parts that you don't need (like watts).
                  James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

jasv. I’ll test any HS4 plugin you have. I just use it for monitoring and events. I don’t poll more than 2 minutes and I don’t have any bulbs

Comment

jasv I am thinking of moving to HS4 soon. If you have the HS4 plug-in I'll give that a shot. I do not have bulbs and I do not use for energy monitoring. Plus I do not need polling any more often than 2 minutes.

Been busy at work too so I just tried disabling energy monitoring in the HS3 plug-in. Up to today it reliably crashes every 4 days. I'll see if disabling the energy components through the setup helps. Also, I have polling for all devices set to 2 minutes.

Comment

Since jasv has been busy and I got my production machine on HS4 now I’ve moved away from the HS3 plugin. I was tired of the high CPU issues and the trouble automatically starting HS4 with the TP plugin problems. I’m running the Hubitat plugin for other devices anyway so I put all my TP devices over there on the HT hub and I access them in HS now using the Hubitat plugin. My TP devices have been running excellent now, no CPU issues, start up issues etc. Also some extra features there that are useful like reboot individual device, bind/unbind from cloud, reboot individual devices, etc. I especially like the unbind from the cloud tool as once you join a device from the Kasa cloud and get it on your WiFi network you can disconnect it from the Kasa cloud and just use it on your own WiFi network so much more secure.

Don’t get me wrong the TP HS plugin by jasv has worked well for me on HS3 for a long time and a lot of good work was done there. I really appreciate all of his efforts and when the HS4 version is ready I’ll test it but for now I’m happy with what I have set up.

Comment

Hey Bigstevep - thanks for the update. The plugin is crashing so much that I need to make a change. I just picked up a new Hometroller with HS4 on it so will be switching over soon. I have not used Hubitat before but am happy to spend/implement whatever it takes to get things stabilized. Would you mind sending me a few tips on using the TP-Link with Hubitat? Is it as simple as getting a hub, linking all of the TP-link devices to it, removing them from HS, and getting the HT plugin running on HS?

I am also interested on what else you are doing with Hubitat...?

Comment

I apologize but both work and school have been much tougher than I thought. I am guessing 2 more weeks before i can get to anything. I will post the HS4 version this weekend but it is incomplete. It does let you control most devices but it hasn't been very thoroughly tested.
                            James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Keoni The Hubitat hub and HS mcsHubitat Plugin works great together. If you don’t have a HT hub already you are in luck as they are back in stock and its the new C-7 which has the Zwave 700 chip (of course backwards compatible). I just got mine yesterday so I’ll play with it over the weekend upgrading my C-7 hubs. Anyway:

Here is how you do it:

1. Get yourself a Hubitat Hub and set it up
                              2. Install the Kasa Integeration App and install it in the Apps Code. You can get the code from the Hubitat Git Hub
                              3. Install the Kasa Drivers from Git Hub and install them. You can install which ones you need but I just install them all
                              4. Go to The Kasa App and configure your Kasa Username and password
                              5. Add Kasa devices
                              6. You now will have all your Kasa devices in HT
                              7. I unbind my devices here in the setup. By unbinding your devices you are just setting them up to be used on your local network only not the Kasa App
                              8, Install the Maker API app. This is a built in HT app
                              9. Open the Maker API app and select you want to use in HS. You’ll see your Kasa devices here, select and choose update. You can add any devices you included in HT here (Not just Kasa) you want to use in HS. You can add devices anytime by selecting and update
                              10. Once you have update just below the update window you’ll see “Get all Devices and Full Details” link. Click on this and it will open a webpage with that link.
                              11. Copy that webpage link, you’ll need it for HS.
                              12. Install the Hubitat plugin in HS
                              13. Start the plugin. And go to the settings page
                              14. Add the maker URL you saved from step 11 and save
                              15. Stop the plugin
                              16 Restart the plugin
                              17. Look under your devices group and you will see a new group called Hubitat with all of your devices there and also the Hubitat Hub controller
                              18. With the Hubitat Hub Controller you can sync (after adding new devices in HT) reboot the hub, etc,
                              19. You can now use your HT devices in HS as you would any other devices, events, on/off, etc.

I use HT for all my TP Link devices, all Zigbee (except Hue lights but you could) my Power Node and Zooz power strips (eliminates the power reporting issues in HS), my iBlinds (the strips and iBlinds are Zwave). Zigbee is mainly motion sensors which are really fast and really cheap but I do have a few on/off outlets mainly for repeaters to strengthen the Zigbee mesh.

I use HT for my iPhone presence sensors (I posted a How To on the forum). Using this and the Geofency IOS app my home/away is fast and reliable. I was using the phLocation2 plugin for a long time put got tired of the MyHS location server not responding and having to monthly re-verify the API with Apple so I switched over to this method.

For all the HT stuff there is tons of it with good how to’s etc if you Google them.

Hope this helps you out

Comment

Working...
                              X