Support for HS220 wall dimmer switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for HS220 wall dimmer switch

Hi, I was wondering if there were any plans to support this wall dimmer switch via the plugin? I have two options under actions: smartplug and smartbulb. This device shows up under smartplug.

Here's what I have for actions for the switch (no dimming):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-08-03_12h55_17.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1408238

Here's the debug info for it if that's helpful:

outlets : System.Collections.Generic.List`1[HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.Devices.TPLinkSmartPlug+child_outlet]
    monthStat : GetPropValue(monthStat) not valid/found
    dayStat : GetPropValue(dayStat) not valid/found
    current : -1
    voltage : -1
    power : -1
    total : -1
    PoweredOn : False
    LedOn : False
    PoweredOnSince : 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM
    Features : TIM
    NumberOfChildOutlets : 0
    CurrentOutlet : 00
    OnlineStatusChanged : False
    isOnline : True
    IsOn : False
    Hostname : 10.245.10.12
    Port : 9999
    MessageCache : HSPI_TPLinkSmartHome.Messaging.TimeGatedMessageCache
    SoftwareVersion : 1.5.5 Build 180717 Rel.155202
    HardwareVersion : 1.0
    Type : IOT.SMARTPLUGSWITCH
    Model : HS220(US)
    DevName : Smart Wi-Fi Dimmer
    Alias : Backyard cafe lights dimmer
    CurrentTime : 8/3/2020 12:52:13 PM
    Failure to Connect Count : 0

It's only $20 on amazon so it's a good deal for a wall dimmer if it works out. Thanks!

Name:	2020-08-03_12h57_08.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1408239

The plugin takes the capabilities from interrogating the device. Does the "on/off" work? I do have a dimmer and I will take a look and see if there is more info I need.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Actually this might be a clue -- when I added the device via the "broadcast discover TPLink devices" button it only had on/off capabilities. Under the status/graphics page I manually added the one range called "_Dim", as seen here.

Maybe that was part of the culprit? Ignore the "offline" as I didn't fully install it yet until I sort out the dimming.

Name:	2020-08-04_08h53_28.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1408425

Comment

Hi, have you had a chance to try out your dimmer?

Comment

I have just added the plugin. All devices show up as on/off only despite being dimmable when controlled directly from Kasa. Did I miss something in the setup?

If I go into the TPLinkSmartHome tab and hit the button to get details, I see that the parameter IsDimmable : True is set as expected. But the device does not show a slider or other means to dim the bulbs.

Maybe this is related to the issue the OP is discussing?

Comment

I am glad I searched for the forum for the HS220. I was about to buy a dozen for a new house, but if the plugin doesnt support them I will look elsewhere. Is there any update on the fix?

Comment

TPLink changed their protocol with the HS220 and I couldn't figure out the encryption. At the time there wasn't anyone with a solution but I have seen a lot of discussion on it lately. I will try to take a look in the few days if but it may take longer.
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I have a couple hs220 and several hs200. The hs200 all appear as type smartplug. The hs220 appear as type unknown. All of them have just on/off buttons. None of them work via Homeseer. I am able to control them with Alexa. Disappointing.

Comment

I did some more experimenting. Disabled and re-enabled the plugin and now the HS200s will turn on/off in homeseer. The HS220s still don't work.

Comment

I guess I'll give up on the HS220 dimmer functions and swap them out for zigbee alternatives since it looks like this won't work.

Thanks for looking into it anyway!

Comment

I haven't had much time because of work/school and my workload won't be better until Mid dec. It is possible that someone has figured out the new protrocol by now but I won't be able to take a look until then. Sorry it didn't work out.
                      James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

looks like the HS4 version supports HS220?

Comment

I don't have an HS220 to test. I would guess that it does but I cannot confirm.
                          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Ok. Sorry I guess I need to catchup. I realize it is free, but the "jasv TP-Link Smart Devices 4 Software Plugin for HS4" on the HomeSeer website lists the HS220 as supported. I am running HS3 and I was going to upgrade to HS4 for this upgrade. It has not been verified then. Will you be working on backwards compatibility for theHS3, or is the development on the HS3 platform completed? (i.e. no further development on the HS3 platform).
                            thankx

Comment

Good point. I do remember testing swtichs so I will need to double check to see if the HS220 is one or not (I use Zwave switches). Regardess, if it doesn't work, I will fix it (but it may take a week or 2). Hold off upgrading for another 2 weeks and I will have it tested by then. .
                              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Working...
                              X