LIFX Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LIFX Effects

Any chance we could get support for "effects" that the LIFX app has?

David

I'm getting a feeling that the answer is "no". It looks like effects are done from the app, not the cloud. I'm using the Windows 10 app for back up control. I want to use the effects, but I'm trying to do it while running PowerPoint, which freezes when it loses control. So, if I have music or a video running, it freezes. Thus I was wanting to turn on the effect from HS3.

If the above is the case, then the next question would be, could you add better controls for creating our own effects? I use the Immersive effect, which is like the Music Visualizer on Android. The lights change colors and dim rates based on the music. I use some of the others, too. I could probably do something with Set Waveform, but to program this for individual lights, and randomly change colors, etc., etc., would be a lot of work, and I haven't had much luck with it so far.

David

Comment

I should have added....

I kicked around adding IFTTT integration so that HS3 could use an event to trigger IFTTT which would call LIFX to set the effect, but I think it's going to have the same issue.....no set effect on the LIFX side.

David

Comment

Some of it may be possible. I've noticed that the move effect on the lifx strip will keep running with the app closed and no connection to the cloud

Comment

I did read somewhere that there was an app update that would allow the effects to continue in the background, but I think that only applied to iOS and possibly Android. The Win 10 app appears to have less development going on.

I real problem is Powerpoint. I do have a plugin called Power Show that, if configured properly, allows the multi-tasking. At the moment, though, I can't get it to display across two screens properly (this gets really complicated...). However, this still means I have manual effort to activate and stop the effects. I'd really like to control them directly from the presentation.

David

Comment

This is no longer critical, though it would be a nice thing to have.

I use PowerShow, a Powerpoint plugin, but it wasn't working correctly. It is now working, and it allows me to take focus away from the presentation and run the lights. I just have to remember to make the presentation screen active before advancing to the next slide.

David

Comment

Some of the effects require a constant stream of UDP packets to be sent to the bulb. That's why the LIFX app needs be open when running the effect.

LIFX doesn't publish how to duplicate the effects in the LIFX app. However, with a little trial and error, you should be able to duplicate most of them with the LIFX effects in the UltraLighting3 HSPI.

Let me know what effect your trying to run and I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Hi -

Thanks for the update!

I mainly use Immersive, which syncs with the music videos I'm playing. Sometimes I use the Pastel effect, with a 1 second change, to slower music.

Is there any way to "call" the app, to have it trigger the effect?

Also, I need to trigger OFF at the end of the song. The next slide resets the lights, but I have found that this doesn't negate the effect.

David

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
                  Hi -
                  Is there any way to "call" the app, to have it trigger the effect?
                  Hello David,

I am sorry, but I don't understand your question. Are you asking if there is a way to call my plug-in or the LIFX "app"?
                  Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I'm asking if there is a way to call the LIFX app from your plugin, or an event.

Comment

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
                      I'm asking if there is a way to call the LIFX app from your plugin, or an event.
                      Thank you for clarifying. No, LIFX doesn't provide a means of calling the LIFX app remotely.

Regards,
                      Ultrajones

Comment

Working...
                      X