Mitigating a power outage and Lifx lights default to ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitigating a power outage and Lifx lights default to ON

Wondering how are people handling power outages and Lifx lights defaulting to "on" after a power outage?

Philips Hue updated their firmware and app late last year so that light(s) will return to the previous state after a power outage (not sure how it tells the difference between switch off or power outage), JowiHue has a workaround setting called "Recover light settings after being unreachable" for his Zigbee HSPI, but don't know if there's anything possible for Lifx.

I have a minimum of 20 50W halogen downlights with 90mm cutouts that require replacing and think the Philips options won't give me enough brightness (Hue GU10 color=250lm, Hue 90mm White Ambience=350lm, Hue Amphelion=600lm which is great, but the downlight is too big / wide).

Lifx downlights seem perfect at 800lm and 90mm cutouts but this default to "on" after a power outage is a real showstopper for me. Having all lights come on after a power outage (eg. middle of the night, away from home / on vacation) would be dreadful!

Adding to why this is important to me, I currently have a Clipsal C-Bus system and don't have switches wired to lights and therefore can't just flick the switch at night time or when I go on vacation. I'm slowly replacing the C-Bus equipment, lights permanently connected to power, and wanting to operate lights via Homeseer, motion sensor(s), and Zigbee or Hue or Z-Wave battery operated remotes for switches.

Any thoughts / advice from Lifx owners please?

@ultrajones: Not sure if this plug-in is still being actively developed for added functionality but any possibility of considering something like what JowiHue included in his plugin for a workaround to power outages (ie. "Recover light settings after being unreachable")?

If anyone is interested here is some of the outcry in the Lifx community. Been going on for 2 years so don't have much faith in a firmware update from Lifx: https://community.lifx.com/t/what-is...e-problem/3157

jdee I am not sure if this might help you in the meantime, but here is the event I use to turn all my LIFX bulbs off after a power outage

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 9.57.09 PM.png
Views:	446
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1338928

I think you could also use the EasyTrigger plugin's Push to Stack with HS3 Events to store the state of each bulb when they change and EasyTrigger's Pop from Stack to restore that state after power is restored (assuming your HS3 system stayed online) instead of just turning them all off like i do.

I suppose you could store each LIFX bulb's status to virtual devices in case your HS3 system's UPS ran out of battery during the power outage too.

I bet there is an easier way to do this if you know vb script, but i don't so this is as far as I can go.

Comment

Originally posted by mda View Post
      jdee I am not sure if this might help you in the meantime, but here is the event I use to turn all my LIFX bulbs off after a power outage

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 9.57.09 PM.png
Views:	446
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1338928

I think you could also use the EasyTrigger plugin's Push to Stack with HS3 Events to store the state of each bulb when they change and EasyTrigger's Pop from Stack to restore that state after power is restored (assuming your HS3 system stayed online) instead of just turning them all off like i do.

I suppose you could store each LIFX bulb's status to virtual devices in case your HS3 system's UPS ran out of battery during the power outage too.

I bet there is an easier way to do this if you know vb script, but i don't so this is as far as I can go.
      That's fantastic, thank you.... didn't know / think of the "Offline" condition.

After some trials I have pretty much decided on moving forward with Philips Hue because:
      1. Hue app has a specific option of what to do after power outage (which doesn't work well in a brown out from my short testing).
      2. There is an app called hueDynamic that has a setting to programme the Hue Hub to turn off all lights after a power outage. In my case, I was trialling some Hue compatible downlights that of course I couldn't flash the Hue firmware for Option 1 to work, hence need this ability as those downlights, like Lifx, would turn on after a power outage.
      I do have a battery backup on my HS hardware but that would eventually give up after a while and power down. With Option 1 enabled on my Hue lights, and Option 2 working for my Hue compatible downlights lights, things seem to work as I need following a power outage. That is, Philips Hue lights don't come on at all and my Hue compatible downlights turn off a few seconds after Hue Hub boots up.

Comment

Any idea how sensitive the "offline" trigger is? I get a lot of "flickers" that are enough to reset the LIFX bulbs to on/base color.
        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
          Any idea how sensitive the "offline" trigger is? I get a lot of "flickers" that are enough to reset the LIFX bulbs to on/base color.
          Not sure. Some of my lifx bulbs often become “offline” for a minute or two each, and there is a bug Ultrajones is working on where they all go offline... hopefully that will be fixed in the next few days (I believe it is in testing now) and only a real power outage will knock them all offline.

Comment

Working...
          X