VLAN support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLAN support?

I have a couple of Lifx bulbs on a separate VLAN but the PI does not seem to find them. I have a firewall rule that allows my LAN to pass all communication to my VLAN so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with VLANs and this PI?

Well 17 views and no replies so I guess no one is using VLANs with Lifx. For someone else that stumbles into this issue in the future, I've managed to fix it. The solution is to configure your router to relay broadcasts across VLANs. My specific setup is a Ubiquiti USG Pro 4 router with Unifi switches. Since routers typically do not broadcast across VLANs, I had to install and configure a piece of software that would accomplish this. The details are here: https://github.com/britannic/ubnt-bcast-relay

Comment

Originally posted by ando1 View Post
      Well 17 views and no replies so I guess no one is using VLANs with Lifx. For someone else that stumbles into this issue in the future, I've managed to fix it. The solution is to configure your router to relay broadcasts across VLANs. My specific setup is a Ubiquiti USG Pro 4 router with Unifi switches. Since routers typically do not broadcast across VLANs, I had to install and configure a piece of software that would accomplish this. The details are here: https://github.com/britannic/ubnt-bcast-relay

Not knowing much about VLANs and Network security for that matter, that does not sound safe?
      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post

Not knowing much about VLANs and Network security for that matter, that does not sound safe?
        "Safe" is a pretty broad term. In reality no network, home nor business is truly safe as we see in the news all the time about data breaches occurring and users information and passwords getting stolen.

In general, it is a good practice to segment iOT devices from your main computers to reduce the attack surface of something happening. This is what I did by putting the bulbs on a separate VLAN. I also narrowed the attack surface by only allowing the 2 Lifx bulbs communicate to only the HomeSeer PC on the LAN on one UDP port. I am by no means an expert at networking, but I like to tinker and learn which is why I also have HomeSeer

Comment

In order to talk between a LAN and VLAN, routing is required. Once a route is established, the barrier between the LAN/VLAN is gone unless there are firewall rules in place. So, "safe" is a matter of whether you're filtering traffic or just letting everything pass between the LANs. If a route is created but there is no filtering, then there is no real reason for the VLAN to exist.

Comment

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
          X