Need Advice on using LIFX and Z-Wave Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on using LIFX and Z-Wave Together

I picked up some more LIFX bulbs, since they are on sale. These are going in at church (I already have four in place) to give me better lighting controls.

The four I have are on all the time (though I could put them on a Z-Wave controlled outlet and did have them that way for a while). These new bulbs, though, will go into sockets controlled by several Z-Wave wall switches. Does anyone have any experience running them this way? I know they are supposed to return to their last known state when powered on, but in my experimenting found they sometimes come back on to a default white temp and all the way bright.

If I can reliably turn them on/off power-wise, I'll go ahead with install them. Otherwise I need to rethink things. I bought them at Best Buy, so can easily return them in the next few weeks, but I REALLY want these to work. They will give me a LOT more flexibility in controlling my "stage" lighting.

Oh, and I realize I'm going to have to turn on the Z-Wave switches and probably wait for a bit for the bulbs to get onto WiFi - then I can control them through UltraLighting3. I can live with that. 90% of the time they will just be turned on/off.....and that needs to be 100% reliable.

David

Originally posted by david.delano View Post
    I know they are supposed to return to their last known state when powered on, but in my experimenting found they sometimes come back on to a default white temp and all the way bright.
    It sound like you might have triggered the "white restore" feature. The bulb will reset to 3500k white @ 100% brightness if the bulb is turned on and off, twice, at the power switch, within a few seconds.

Comment

That very well could be what happened. The puzzling thing is, not all four bulbs did it, just one (when all four were turned on).

Comment

I bought more bulbs and started replacing the ones I have.....but, ran into problems.

I have four bulbs, each on it's own switch. The switches are the GE/Iris ones, without the common wire. I do not have easy access to the white wire without getting an electrician involved. The bulbs will not come on. They flicker on and off.

I've had this issue before. I don't know if it is specific to the GE switches, but it appears that the bulbs don't give enough load to keep the switch on.

I have another switch that has three bulbs on it. I was able to replace two of the bulbs, but not the third, before the pulsing occurs.

Anyone have a solution for this? I could replace the switches, but want to make sure I have a solution that works before doing it.

David

Comment

Unconfigured PHP Module

Collapse

Working...
        X