Selling home - help needed UPB light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling home - help needed UPB light

Hello. In my home we have about 2/3 Control4 and 1/3 UPB from last owner - Ill admit I learned a lot re programming C4, but most UPB was to get AlexaUPB to work.

When we bought the house there were 2 lights in the hall upstairs that for the life of us we couldn't turn off. Every once and a while they would go off then back on. On apparently the same track - other lights of similar style in same hall do turn off and on.

The problem is that now none of those lights go on. I have checked bulb etc, but when I run UPStart again one of the lights just doesn't show any more (the three lights were Art 1, Art 2, Art 3). I suspect the light switch has just become in a bad state but the real problem is the former owner placed several switches in the wall - so I have some 8 button switches but not a single.

How can I get the system to detect the missing one?

thank you

in UPBstart you should be able to run Verify All and it should let you know what ones are different or missing or i believe you can restart the plugin and watch the hs log as it checks all the devices and see what one tries several times then fails

Comment

Reset / reconfigure the UPB switch and reprogram it.

1 - put the UPB switch in set up mode (tap it 5 times and you will see the LED blinking) or reset it tapping it 10 times will factory reset the switch
      2 - put Upstart on your laptop and plug in the PIM on the same circuit as your problematic switches.

If you do not see it or you cannot reset it then you might have a defective switch

3 - reprogram the UPB switch with Upstart such that it matches your old configuration.

Personally I would remove all automated switches from house that you are selling and replace switches with conventional analog switches. That is me and what I have done in the last 30 years here. A few years back helped the widow of a Homeseer plugin author (who passed away) and she sold her home and asked me to remove all of the UPB switches cuz of the questions coming up in the sale. I removed them all and sale went fine.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

So I think I may have learned more. In a closet I saw two of these. One drives the Art 1 light and works - the other there is no light so either broken or needs resetting. There is no switch on it so not sure how even I would reset this - any ideas.

Also for this light removing the UPB for a normal switch makes sense but I don't even think there is a wall switch - just part of an 8 button combo

Comment

Hi what you have in a lighting module , these we’re used when say you wanted to control 2 functions but only have 1 load , example you want to install a fan with a light kit but only have 1 wire you would install 2 of the modules at the fan one relay ( fan on/ off ) and one dimmer for the light
          they were made by simply automated you can simply discover them in upstart or swap them out for a UPB Dimmer or relay based on what’s need to control ( you can use any UPB switch they are all the same ) to put in set up use a non conducive stick look for a a button on the front
          also see if the brown wire is connected this activates the led

Also who ever installed this probably did not need dimming control from the closet ,they are also less cost then a dimmer switch

Comment

That looks like a Simply Automated in-line module. There should be a recessed button that you can access with something like a toothpick. Press it 5 times to put the module in setup mode, then use UpStart to find the unit in setup mode. If UpStart can't find it, then it is either not working or the connection to the power line is broken
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Cool thank you. One of the module doesn't have the light (red or green) so guessing burned out - need to buy one - would I just place it inline?

Comment

i think there should be a clear air gap switch on the top of the front that you can pull out to disconnect it when replacing light fixtures etc... but make sure it is pushed in. if it got bumped just right it could have come out and will cause it not to work until it is pushed back in

Comment

Originally posted by canuckpaisa View Post
                  One of the module doesn't have the light (red or green) so guessing burned out - need to buy one - would I just place it inline?
                  Be sure to confirm that the device is getting power before concluding it isn't working.
                  If the problem is a defective module, you can wire in a new one by swapping one wire at a time with the existing device. UpStart has a function that will then let you copy the programming that was assigned to the old device to the new one.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

since I have 2 of these modules side by side with one working and one not - if I were to swap them that could verify if power or the unit right?

Comment

If the two are on the same circuit (their black and white wires are connected together - and secure), that would be a good indication by itself, but if you are having trouble determining if the device is receiving power, I would recommend calling an electrician.

Comment

ok thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X