Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One UPB PW PIM for Elk M1 & HS - Is this a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One UPB PW PIM for Elk M1 & HS - Is this a problem?

I am trialing HomeSeer and have three specific use-cases that I want to be able to successfully test before I crack open the new license codes that are anxiously waiting for me in my email inbox.

Minimum Use Cases:
    - Elk M1 plug-in - Connected
    - HTD Audio plug-in - Connected
    - UPB plug-in - Maybe connected, maybe not?

I've installed the UPB Spud plug-in and there are no issues in the log and I've turned on "debug". Everything looks good to the novice eye:

Jan-27 4:55:28 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_SEND:: ABOUT_TO_SEND[70028E ]
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM UPBSpud DEBUG UPB_RCVR:: PIM Port opened and installed
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIM_SEND:: PIM Adapter starting sender thread
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM UPBSpud DEBUG UPB_MGR:: Activating media adapter
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM UPBSpud DEBUG UPB_MGR:: Initializing media adapter
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in UPBSpud
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM Starting Plug-In UPBSpud loaded in 412 milliseconds
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM Starting Plug-In Plugin UPBSpud started successfully in 48 milliseconds
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM UPBSpud INFO UPBSpud version 3.0.0.50
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM Starting Plug-In Initializing plugin UPBSpud ...
    Jan-27 4:55:28 PM Info Plugin UPBSpud has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:51738

However, I have three UPB devices installed in Upstart and working correctly via basic timed on-off events in Elk M1 but nothing showing up in the HS Home screen whereas I see both the Elk M1 and the HTD home audio plug-ins connected in the Home screen.

A few questions:

- Is it normal to not see any reference to UPB plug-in in the HS Home screen?
    - Is it technically acceptable and functional without conflict to have just one PulseWorx PIM in use by two separate applications (Elk M1 & HS)?
    - Once full conditional/event automation is implemented would it be better to move UPB out of Elk and only into HS?
    - Are there any other considerations that experienced UPB users would recommend? I do intend to expand my UPB network/usage.

Thank you, in advance for your help and insight!
    Jim

Originally posted by jpursey View Post
    I am trialing HomeSeer and have three specific use-cases that I want to be able to successfully test before I crack open the new license codes that are anxiously waiting for me in my email inbox.

Minimum Use Cases:
    - Elk M1 plug-in - Connected
    - HTD Audio plug-in - Connected
    - UPB plug-in - Maybe connected, maybe not?

I've installed the UPB Spud plug-in and there are no issues in the log and I've turned on "debug". Everything looks good to the novice eye:

However, I have three UPB devices installed in Upstart and working correctly via basic timed on-off events in Elk M1 but nothing showing up in the HS Home screen whereas I see both the Elk M1 and the HTD home audio plug-ins connected in the Home screen.

- Is it normal to not see any reference to UPB plug-in in the HS Home screen?
    - Is it technically acceptable and functional without conflict to have just one PulseWorx PIM in use by two separate applications (Elk M1 & HS)?
    - Once full conditional/event automation is implemented would it be better to move UPB out of Elk and only into HS?
    - Are there any other considerations that experienced UPB users would recommend? I do intend to expand my UPB network/usage.
    Thank you, in advance for your help and insight!
    Welcome to the Homeseer Board.

I do not believe it is possible for a serial interface to connect to two applications at once without specialized software to "split" the physical serial port into two virtual ports.
    I'd recommend connecting the PIM to Spud's UPB plug-in going forward.
    I'd also recommend that you do as much as you can to make your UPB installation work autonomously, without relying on an external interface. It is a very powerful technology; very robust; with considerable capability; and in my experience, rock solid reliable. HS offers a great way to link it to other devices, to detect occupancy, for example, but there is not much lighting automation that UPB cannot handle on it's own.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thank you, Uncle Michael! That's just the info I needed! I've redirected the PIM to HomeSeer, reconfig-ed the devices and imported the new file and I now see the devices in the Home screen.

I had a professional installer do the Elk and UPB config. After realigning UPB at your wise behest, I now see what you say about having autonomous capability and will dig into that deeper as I move along with expanding it and utilizing it's capabilities.

Now if I can just get Amcrest cameras working then I can crack open my new licenses! On second thought, cameras may just be icing on the HS "cake". I'm sealing the deal!

Thank you, again!

Comment

Glad it's working. Definitely spend some time with UPStart. The latest version is 8.x. It and a new manual are available for download from PCS Lighting if you don't have it already. UBP scenes are a powerful concept and they've been implemented pretty well, I think. Definitely worth becoming familiar with.

(FWIW, I find Blue Iris to be an excellent interface for IP cameras, and it works well with Amcrest, which are my favorite cameras at the moment.)
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X