UPB communication problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB communication problem

For the first time in a long time I fired up UPStart to change some switch settings and investigate some issues I have with dropped link commands and I notice a very large number of my switches (about half of them) are not communicating with UPStart. Most of those respond correctly to commands from Homeseer. Some link commands from these switches do not work (which is part of the reason i turned on UPStart. I can control the switches from UPStart (or from Homeseer) but they fail the communication test. In some cases UPStart can see some commands from the switch. Two things have happened since I last looked at this carefully. First, my phase coupler seems to have been removed (I'll fix that but I guess I need to buy another one as I have no idea where it went). Second I have added two Tesla Powerwalls which are now backing up the whole house. The reason I am leaning toward blaming the batteries for "eating" the UPB commands is that virtually all of the switches that cannot communicate report they are on the same phase as the UPB interface on the computer (at least I assume that 's' and 'o' in the phase column on UPStart stand for same and other). That being the case is a phase coupler likely to make a difference? Does anyone have any experience with batteries and UPB? If, in fact, they are the problem, is there any solution (short of removing the batteries, which I obviously won't do or switching to ZWave which I am extremely reluctant to do)? I will either find the phase coupler (who knows what the Powerwall installers might have done with it, but I'm guessing I wont find it) or buy a new one but since the failure are all on the same phase as the interface I am not terribly optimistic (unless, perhaps, 's' and 'o' are arbitrary and don't necessarily correspond to the phase the interface is on).

Thanks for any advice, especially related to the battery aspect of the query. I'll update this once I have located and reinstalled the phase coupler.

Pete Tompkins

I do not have a Tesla battery backup, but I found that I needed a split-phase repeater to get good communication across phases. That doesn't sound like it's your problem though. I do have some SA devices that are very difficult to contact from Upstart, but all my PCS devices are working reliably.
    Can you temporarily disconnect the backup system to see if the performance changes?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Pete,
      Out of curiosity I sent an email to pcslighting support to ask if they had any experience with a Tesla powerwall and UPB. Their response:

We never tested with any tesla powerwall backup system at all. I talked to a customer before with neighbor having tesla charging system generating loads of noise. We advised the install to look into the isolation transformer. I probably would suggest isolation transformer for the Tesla powerwall backup system to prevent and filter noise over the power line around the house.
      Regards,
      Man Chong
      Powerline Control Systems Inc.
      PWX/SWX Product Engineer
      Support/Sales Hours of Operation: M-Th: 8:30AM – 3:30PM
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Not sure why I didn't think to try this before --- turned off both batteries and UPStart zips right through all of the devices (even without a phase coupler/repeater)!! THe only failures are a couple devices that I know need to be replaced. I' replace the phase coupler that I guess the Tesla installer must have removed, but I think in the end I'll need to do something to isolate the batteries.

Comment

Yeah, good luck with that. The noise is likely injected by the switching power supplies Tesla uses to convert the DC from the battery to AC for the house. An isolation transformer (perhaps with filtering capacitors on the battery side) might work, but it would need to be sized large enough to run your entire house. It'd likely be similar in size to the transformer the power company uses to interface your house to the transmission line, only it would have a 1:1 ratio since you wouldn't want to change the voltage from the input to the output. I'd love to know how it worked out for you, where you got it from, and how much it cost.

Comment

Working...
          X