Unable to import new homeseer.upe file into HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to import new homeseer.upe file into HS4

My HomeSeer HS4 deployment still uses some (ten devices) of PCS Lighting's PulseWorx UPB technology, due to its reliable long-range powerline communications features. After many years of stable operation, I am attempting to add a PCS WD600 Wall Dimmer to the existing UPB network and find myself unable to properly import the updated "homeseer.upe" (Upstart Export file) into HS4 via the UPB (Spud) PI. No event log errors are observed. I am currently using the latest UPSTART version 8.3 Build 34 for Windows 10. Granted, at least once per year, launching Upstart.exe prompts to download and install a newer version and it's never been a problem to do so. The current Upstart version appears to be: UPStart Version 8.3 Build 34 for Windows 7/8/10/11. For test purposes, I have rolled back to earlier V7.x and v8.x versions of Upstart.exe from prior years to no avail.

​When I visually compare a good / working homeseer.upe export file produced in 2021 to a new export file produced in 2023, I see few similarities in the cryptic structure and content. My most recent testing involved producing a fresh Upstart.upb master file (consisting of a single WD600 Wall Dimmer device assigned to a new UPB network ID, the WD600 test device never appears in HS4 after importing via the PI's Config page. I do see the "Importing complete" message, but no new HomeSeer devices are found.

Because the PulseWorx system controls critical systems (Hot Water, Pool Pump, Exterior Lighting), at the end of each testing day I end up restoring HomeSeer from backup to get back to a stable UPB configuration. I recently purchased a PW PWG (IP) Gateway as a planned upgrade, but it does nothing to resolve my inability to import modified Upstart export files.

I'm saddened to see little activity here on the UPB (Spud) forum. Are there any other current UPB users out there with some advice on how I should proceed?

Dan the LAN Man
    "It's always something!"

What do you get in the logs, if you set the log level to Debug and try to re-import the .upe file?
    Could you post your .upe file so that I can try to import it to figure out what's wrong?

Comment

Thanks for responding! I am using the UPB (Spud) Plug-in version 3.0.0.55. In response to your request, I reinstalled latest upstart.exe Version 8.3 Build 34 to create a fresh network ID 1 with a single WD600 Dimmer. Both the .upb design file and it's .upe export file are attached for your review. Credentials are pwg / pwgpw NOTE: File EXTENTIONS were RENAMED to overcome forum file blocking for .upb & .upe files; remove the .txt suffix.

Also, the HS4 Event Log captured during import of the target .upe file (in the PI's DEBUG mode with UPB (Spud) plugin filtering) is attached.

In summary, my obvious symptom is importing the .upe file seems to transpire for the included WD600 device (and appearing in log as a Generic Device???) named SOUTH (UPPER) in the room BACKYARD. However, the included WD600 never appears as a device in HomeSeer HS4 Pro after importing the attached .upe file. I get similar results for multi-device .upb / .upe file sets.

Without better direction, my next step here will be to build up a standalone HS4 PC and focus on testing the UPB Plugin.

Dan the LAN Man
      "It's always something!"
      Attached Files

Comment

when I import your .upe file, the SOUTH (UPPER) device is correctly created by the plugin
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	82
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1637313
        What may happen for you is that you already have some UPB devices in your HS4 system, and one of them already has an UPB ID equals to 1. So that when you import this .upe file with the WD600 device also having an ID=1, the plugin will not create a new device but will re-use the one he found with a UPB ID equals to 1, and it will not change its name or locations.

In HS4 / ​Setup / Custom, enable "Show Device Address on Device List Page" and save, this way you will see the UPB IDs for your devices.
        The address format is {NetworkId}-D{DeviceID}, for example for this upe file the address is 1-D1.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	71
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1637314
        Unfortunately, when the plugin look for existing devices it doesn't care about the network ID, so even if your networks IDs are different but the device ID are the same this problem may occur.​

Comment

Following your logic, I will try recreating the single device UPE after giving it an unused device ID (above the range of my first ten devices) and assign the original Network ID of 101 used by the other devices. If that fails to resolve my issue, I will build up a fresh HS4 testbed and retest with a simple, clean setup.

You have indirectly confirmed for me "no known third-party changes have broken the symbiotic relationship of HS4, the latest PCS Upstart program, the resulting UPE file format and the UPB (Spud) Plugin.

A QUESTION: On the Plugin Management page, the UPB (Spud) Plugin offers the option to "create another instance". What is the purpose / value of that?

Thank you for testing!

Dan the LAN Man
          "It's always something!"

Comment

Greetings - I successfully built up an Intel NUC i5 / Win10 test bed fitted with a clean HS4 install to which I added the current legacy version 3.0.0.55 of the UPB Spud Plug-in and nothing more. Installed a fresh copy of PCS Upstart latest v8.3 Build 34 and used it to create a fresh single WD600 test.upb file, followed by creation of a fresh test.upe export file. And... It WORKS! The Plug-in's IMPORT function completed quickly and created the device properly. (The test bed is using a PulseWorx Gateway as the powerline modulator; my production system is currently using a Serial PIM-R; I anticipate no issues specifically traceable to either.)

Now I am seeking advice on which HS4 Devices and files to purge from my production HS4 system and then redetect and reimport UPB-wise, in order to hopefully get things working with expanded import files and devices once again. I will make special efforts to keep the UPB Network ID the same across all devices.

Dan the LAN Man
            "It's always something!"

Comment

[QUOTE=Dan the LAN man;n1637165

I'm saddened to see little activity here on the UPB (Spud) forum. Are there any other current UPB users out there with some advice on how I should proceed?

Dan the LAN Man
              "It's always something!"

[/QUOTE]

I use UPB extensively with the Spud plugin. I found that if I make a change in UpStart to an existing device, I am best to delete the device from HS before reimporting the UPB file.
              tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post

I use UPB extensively with the Spud plugin. I found that if I make a change in UpStart to an existing device, I am best to delete the device from HS before reimporting the UPB file.
                I'm heavily dependent on USB. If you do this doesn't it break any events dependent on the original device? I.E. doesn't it assign a new ref number to the re-imported device?
                P.S. I got rid of the Serial PIM due to too many problems and went the more reliable (expensive) way of installing an IP Gateway.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

I'm heavily dependent on USB. If you do this doesn't it break any events dependent on the original device? I.E. doesn't it assign a new ref number to the re-imported device?
                  P.S. I got rid of the Serial PIM due to too many problems and went the more reliable (expensive) way of installing an IP Gateway.
                  My worries too, on broken events. Won't be the end of my world for my ten or so devices. I'll try to document all the "where's", but I'm certain something will be missed. But as I've always said... "It always comes out better the second time!" The only supported choices for UPB powerline modulators are PIM-U, PIM-R and PWPWG (PulseWorx Gateway with it's IP interface being best). If I can get back to a stable UPB environment soon, WAF goes way up.

Comment

I should clarify, I only delete the device and have it redefined upon making changes in UpStart if I am changing the name or device type.

I moved to using the PWPWG a few months back, and find I am losing connection and have to repower it every few weeks.
                    tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the LAN man View Post

My worries too, on broken events. Won't be the end of my world for my ten or so devices. I'll try to document all the "where's", but I'm certain something will be missed. But as I've always said... "It always comes out better the second time!" The only supported choices for UPB powerline modulators are PIM-U, PIM-R and PWPWG (PulseWorx Gateway with it's IP interface being best). If I can get back to a stable UPB environment soon, WAF goes way up.
                      After I switched to the PulseWorx Gateway I never looked back. Flawless performance compared to the SerialPIM. The stuff from PCS lighting is assembled in USA and they just work - like forever. Also, with so many link options to affect a group of lights. I.E. I have links for Evening lighting, Emergency flash, Morning turn off of overnight lights, etc. I only have to send one command and all the configured lights respond.

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                        I should clarify, I only delete the device and have it redefined upon making changes in UpStart if I am changing the name or device type.

I moved to using the PWPWG a few months back, and find I am losing connection and have to repower it every few weeks.
                        Tenholde: I am just now moving up to a PWPWG after 10 years of stable PIM-R use, so we shall see. I am assuming the gateway with IP will be superior, as avpman has indicated. I'm sure you have checked for and installed latest PWPWG firmware, yes?

Dan the LAN Man
                        "It's always something!"​

Comment

I installed recent firmware update a week ago, saw today there is a new one correcting some problem. Will update soon.
                          tenholde

Comment

I also make extensive use of UPB and Spud's plug-in. I use the Gateway as well. I have experienced amazingly reliable performance from the system.
                            I am, however, aware of two limitations that can be annoying.

One is related to my generator, which is about 15 years old. Its speed is governed by a mechanical governor, which suffers from some load effects. As a consequence, the speed set under no load has to be a bit faster than operational speed, so the frequency produced is actually a bit higher than 60/sec, which results in a "nominal" 60 cps under load. If it is set too high, which is fairly common, the UPB signal does not have time to finish in the reduced cycle time, and most of my lights don't work. My generator maintenance company is pretty good about it, but a new tech will almost always set the speed to high after the annual maintenance "to be on the safe side". (Current models use electronic speed control, which eliminates the problem.)

The other problem I encounter is that the plug-in apparently does some behind the scenes checking following some scripting calls. Those checks appear to generate overhead on the UPB network that increases response time for multiple UPB commands. I have not been able to identify what the cause is, but I continue to see the delays in response for some of my scripts.
                            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                            X