Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is best PIM to use with UPBSPUD & homeseer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is best PIM to use with UPBSPUD & homeseer?

I'm thinking of experimenting with upb & homeseer, what PIM works best with both?

From reading it seems Simlpy Automated products are good, who has the best prices?

Any other suggestions or advice on getting started with upb/he would be appreciated?

The serial PIM is the best choice. I'm using the one from PCS, which has a built-in serial to USB converter, and it works very well. I don't think the plug-in supports the SA UPB PIM, but that may have changed.

In general, SA devices are less expensive than the ones from PCS, but finding the best price will involve some comparison shopping. I don't know of any source that has the lowest prices consistently. Worthington Distribution is one place to check, though.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thank you Uncle Michael for you advice, I spent about 20 minutes on the phone today with Simply Automated tech support, he was very helpful explaining UPB & noise problems that could potentially cause issues.

He suggested I order their starter kit for $150 to experiment with, which I did, you get 3 dimmer switches, a phase coupler and a PIM. (pretty good deal to get you hooked). Like you, he suggested the serial interface module not the USB.

I will be experimenting!

Comment

Yes, a very good deal. Enjoy your new toys!

Depending on your computer, you still may need a USB to serial converter. It's pretty rare to find serial ports any more.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Good stuff and a very good deal.

Here recently updated legacy UPB stuff to newer dual load multi paddle UPB switches and they are doing very well. I still do have a hodgepodge of UPB switches around (SA, HAI and PCS).

I utilize an HAI UPB PIM for my OPII panel (with a spare one for testing connected to a Quatech serial server on the other side of the house - seldom looked at these days).

SA Serial PIM is connected to the HS box. Keep an SA USB floater for the laptop.

Intially tried and utilized the SA / HAI and PCS phase couplers. Settled on PCS initially,

Removed the phase couplers then and installed an HAI UPB Repeater. (these look identical whether they are PCS, HAI or SA).
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
            As with most things the more I read the more conflicting the information, since you have a lot of UPB experience l would appreciate your opinions.

1) Do you feel the SA PIM is good or better to use another brand?
            2) This whole Gen 1,2,3 business & a repeater not working with SA if I needed one in the future would you rule out SA?
            3) Does one brand UPB work better with HS & SPUD plugin?
            4) If you were starting from scratch based on quality, value & support which brand UPB would you pick today?

Any advice direction you can provide would be much appreciated!

Comment

Do you feel the SA PIM is good or better to use another brand?
              No they are all the same to me.

The only difference is what was mentioned between the operations of the SA USB PIM and PCS USB PIM by Uncle Michael.

This whole Gen 1,2,3 business & a repeater not working with SA if I needed one in the future would you rule out SA?
              Well it is written. It is confusing though.

Generation I UPB products DO NOT support repeaters, and although SA says their current products do, I can tell you, that is not what I am finding.

So I was an early adopter of UPB and had mostly SA switches back in the Gen. I days. After several couplers, my signal was OK, but with a PCS repeater, it was SOOO much better. BUT Gen 1 stuff doesn't work with a repeater in the return path.

O.K. new house, and I decided to go all HAI Gen. III with the same PCS repeater. Everything works fantastic, EXCEPT with a few SA devices, even new ones, which aren't working good. And a SA PIM might be part of the problem. I have a PCS PIM that I will try today. But for "O" traffic, WITH a repeater, your stuff on BOTH ends must support a repeater and some SA stuff doesn't.
              http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/2...automated-upb/

Here I utilize an HAI repeater and have PCS, SA and HAI UPB devices and see them function fine with good signals. I was fine with a phase coupler until one day noticed a signal drop (across both phases), no noise, just a drop. I am thinking it was the installation of a signal sucker in ground pool pump that caused it?

I only tested the SPUD UPB plugin and it worked fine for me. I can control my UPB from Homeseer 3 this way and the HAI OPII panel via the Homeseer HAI plugin.

If you were starting from scratch based on quality, value & support which brand UPB would you pick today?
              SA probably. PCS has the better warranty but most expensive. HAI UPB is made to work with the HAI OPII panel (all of my UPB works fine with what I do with the OPII panel).

My very first PIM was an HAI UPB serial PIM. It was delivered disfunctional (broken) and caused me grief as I was just learning. I returned it and got a new one and all was well. I just purchased a 3rd HAI serial PIM as a hot spare.
              Last edited by Pete; November 28, 2014, 08:53 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rayvino View Post
                Personally I use the SA serial PIM, but any other serial PIM should just work fine with the plugin.

Comment

Spud your input is helpful, thanks.

Pete,
                  As a "Wizard" I appreciate your experienced input, I have plenty of old scars troubleshooting technology problems so as I set up two homes with HS3 and automation I'm trying to avoid as many new ones as possible.

I thought the answer was going to be all Zwave automation & I already started installing Zwave devices but it seems now I am going to try; part UPB mostly for lighting, hardwire more sensors to my alarm system (very reliable) and go slow with new Zwave purchases while the software & hardware settle down especially with the new Zwave plus chips coming.

Hoping to tie it all together with HS3 & a couple of Spuds plugins.

Comment

Here have been automating using the Leviton / OPII panel and powerline in two homes now for over 10 years for light switches.

Security is all wired sensors only. I am still playing (and did purchase) with wireless security alarm sensors; but not into changing batteries.

I've been using Homeseer since 1998 and it is integrated into my stuff. Homeseer can control whatever is plugged into my OPII panels or via controllers (I have PIMs connected to both setups).

IE: also playing with Z-Wave, Zigbee, Insteon and X10 stuff.

Light switches in walls are all powerline only.

That is me though and what I have done.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                    X