Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to replace Zwave CA3750 w/PCS PulseWorx UPB Output Control Module & HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to replace Zwave CA3750 w/PCS PulseWorx UPB Output Control Module & HomeSeer?

I am wondering if this device, PCS PulseWorx UPB Output Control Module (OCM) by Powerline Control Systems (PCS) works OK with HomeSeer and the Spud plugin?

I am trying to control 2 low voltage loads. This device has 2 isolated relay contacts which it controls. I am looking to control a SPA using existing low voltage control wires that I had hooked up to a Zwave Intermatic ca3750 but the CA3750 died within 3 months & a new one just arrived DOA, so I am giving up on that solution & looking to control via UPB.

This device is fairly expensive ($175) so I want to be sure it will show up & both relays work ok in Upstart/HomeSeer via the plug in. My other UPB devices are Simply Automated.

I would expect it to work, but you are more likely to get an authoritative answer if you ask your question on the forum for the Spud UPB plug-in. He's been very responsive, so I'd expect him to work with you to make it work if it doesn't at first.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I can"t tell with certainty if my plugin works with this specific PCS device

but it already support input/ouput devices like the UMI-32-W: http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Automat.../dp/B000RRKU9M

so if it doesn't and if you can help me test it, I could probably add support for the PCS device without too much problems.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Here my UPB network is made up from PCS, SA and HAI UPB devices that all interplay just fine. I do have a UPB repeater between the phases here.

Primarily the Leviton HAI OPII panel manages the UPB stuff and Homeseer secondarily manages it via HAI and SA serial and one SA USB interface.
          Last edited by Pete; January 12, 2015, 03:09 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete, I think I will be ordering the SA UMI-32-W: that Spud mentioned since it works with his plugin.

I wasn't aware of the SA UMI-32 device & should be able to get it to do what I want with some relays.

I expect to replace all of my Zwave switches with SA UPB, I like the Upstart software, very logical and I found a series of Youtube videos from last February that do a good job of discussing how to use Upstart.

I'm playing around learning the differences between the ways of programing the different model switches and how they interact with Spud's plugin.

Comment

Upstart is sort of a set and forget application as UPB just works for me.

Yup; recently here updated many UPB switches to dual load / multiple paddle. WAF is good.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am really impressed with how stable Spuds plugin has been. My UPB switches have had no trouble at all for quite awhile and the plugin seems to be rock solid.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

should be able to get it to do what I want with some relays.
                  Curious what you are doing with the relays?

Reason I ask is that I have migrated to using multiple LED power supplies now for my outdoor low voltage lighting and using one UPB relay to manage all of the power supplies and it would work better if I could control each one separately via relays.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I just ordered the SA UMI-32 device which appears to have 2 low voltage solid state relay/type outputs. These I expect to use directly on the 2 low voltage control wires that allow my SPA heater to turn on/off & the other to switch the SPA motor to high speed for the SPA jets.

The other Zwave CA3750 I have set up (which is working but I have low confidence in the product) I have switching 220volts to power the SPA filter motor & Salt generator.

I'm thinking of using a DPDT relay with a 120volt coil to switch the 220v load & maybe trying to use a UPB appliance module to control the power to open/close the relay?

I'm open to ideas on how to best use upb to control the 220v SPA motor.

Comment

Or you can just purchase two Elk contactors which will do the same with a regular UPB relay switch.

Take apart you Intermatic contactor if you want. I would be curious if its just using a low voltage contactor.

Found this on Amazon.

I bought the CA3750 to control my water heater. Installation was easy and it worked manually without a problem. If you just want a manual 220V contactor, I think the CA3750 will do the job. If you are looking to control the load via Z-wave, be prepared for some extra work.

I installed the unit by my water heater which is around 40 feet from my VeraLite. The signal has to travel through several walls and I expected there to be some issues until the rest of the network started routing it's traffic. Two weeks and several healing attempts later, it still wouldn't respond reliably, so I started looking for a fix. I have relaying switches within 10 feet of my water heater and I wasn't having problems with any other devices on my network, so I assumed that there was a problem with the CA3750's Z-wave controller.

I took it apart to investigate. The CA3750 is well-built and seems pretty solid. Once I got down to the the Z-Wave board, though, the problem was clear. The antenna wire was routed flat along the control board in such a way that it was well shielded from the rear and sides. I re-routed the antenna away from the board where it was less obstructed, reassembled the unit and powered it on. Vera immediately recognized it and was able to configure and control it without a problem.

The bottom line is that while the CA3750 is well built, the antenna placement could be better. The control board is mounted vertically with the antenna flat against it and needs to be re-routed for decent range, particularly if the front of the box is facing away from your Z-wave controller. If you don't mind tinkering, the fix takes about 15 minutes to implement. There's no room inside the control module so I ended up drilling a small hole just above the push-button switch so the antenna could stick out. It's not pretty but it works.
                      Last edited by Pete; January 14, 2015, 12:45 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just noticed this morning an interesting collection of gadgets being sold at Home Depot by Schneider Electric. This stuff looks really familiar. Actually it appears to be Leviton - HAI Zigbee repackaged stuff...Schneider is a bit international player and it appears that they "promote" their Wiser Zigbee automation in many markets domestically and internationally. Looks too that Leviton makes their stuff. Schneider and Leviton are big players with much money. Much of the wireless automation stuff today is relating to Z-Wave and Zigbee while the 802.11 / Insteon stuff is really still very new....well GE is pushing its stuff (junk to me) too.

Personally here all of my in wall light switches are UPB and they work well. I do mix technologies here taking what I want relating to automation from Z-Wave and ZIgbee and playing still a bit with Insteon. IE: my OPII panel talks X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee and my Homeseer 2 boxes talk X10, Insteon, UPB and Z-Wave. I have implemented Zigbee wireless and wired and Z-Wave and Hue stuff with my Almond +. To the little LCD screen a light / appliance switch looks the same whether its Zigbee or Z-Wave.

I am still mostly a wired person rather than wireless (understanding it is convenient) I am also a tinkerer such that I would probably use a low voltage contactor with an analog AD thing primarily then go with UPB and then also use wireless to control the UPB for the poolside control. IE: In FL sort of doing this with an HAI OPII panel connected to a wireless receiver which lets me use little wireless things with my switches and stuff. Still in play mode but works fine. (IE: exterior pool spots, in pool lighting is all automated - but still have the old tried and true Intermatic mechanical timed controller for the pump (actually still using these for parking lots et al). The spa / jacuzzi part of the pool does have a remote on and off this and that stuff connected to it.

Schneider Electric Wiser

There is no Homeseer plugin right now for Zigbee. Maybe Homeseer ought to consider one?

That said though I am already using Zigbee with other stuff. (just playing) and my HAI OPII panel does have a configuration for use of Zigbee.
                        Last edited by Pete; January 15, 2015, 10:42 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete,
                          When I get a chance I will take apart the CA3750 (the one that doesn't respond to Zwave) & see if I can solder into the board behind the mechanical on/off switch to tap in for control with the UPB module.

This project is on hold since I have about 15 UPB devices coming tomorrow to hook up & program in Upstart over the weekend. I did leave the mechanical Instamatic SPA pump timer in place having wired the good CA3750 in parallel with the timer so either could work. I needed something my Florida house sitter could understand if there are problems while I'm back up north.

Like you I'm more of a hardwired person having owned an alarm company at one time & I prefer less problems to troubleshoot.

Comment

Yup here recently migrated many of the UPB switches here to multiload / multipaddle in a way cleaning the footprints of having double UPB switches in 4X4 boxes.

I have a few 3-4 switches per gang box here.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, I finally took apart the CA7350 that stopped responding to Zwave commands, I removed the Zwave board and the circuit board with the step down transformer.

There are 2 heavy duty nice sealed contactors with 120volt coils to trip them, the outputs are connected to the 2 sets of terminals on the front of the CA3750.

I connected a SA UPB switch to the coils, to turn the contactors on/off and they now control (more reliably I hope) the SPA Jets/Heater controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X