Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Port selection on Zee S2 for PIM?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Port selection on Zee S2 for PIM?

    The list of ports that appears for the Spud UPB plug-in is /dev/tty0, /dev/tty1, etc. How does this "map" to the four USB ports on the Zee S2?

    Also, are there any known problems with using the Simply Automated USB PIM? If so, and I get a Simply Automated RS232 PIM, are there any known issues with TRENDnet USB-to-RS232 converter "cable"?

    PS - If this information is available somewhere, I wasn't able to find it (but not for lack of trying).

  • #2
    The PIM that are known to work with this plugin are:
    - any RS232 PIM
    - the PCS USB PIM

    I don't think the SA USB PIM works with this plugin

    As for TRENDnet USB-to-RS232 converter I can't give you a definitive answer, but I think it should work as it based on PL-2303 chipset and this link says this chipset works with Raspberry Pi: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriph...32.29_adapters

    once plugged in a USB port, the port to use with the plugin should be something like /dev/ttyUSBX
    to know the exact one, you can use the lsusb command

    and you can force the plugin to use this port by adding it to UPBSpud.ini file:

    Code:
    [PIM]
    com_port=/dev/ttyUSB1
    Last edited by spud; July 5th, 2015, 12:55 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the details. I guess I don't see a /dev/ttyUSBX in the list because there isn't a compatible USB PIM connected?

      I suppose since I have to buy a new PIM either way, the PCS USB PIM is the way to go. I'll get one and see how it works.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Eric24 View Post
        Thanks for the details. I guess I don't see a /dev/ttyUSBX in the list because there isn't a compatible USB PIM connected?
        I don't know how this list is populated on Linux, but as I said even if it doesn't show up in the list, you can force the plugin to use it by setting the port from UPBSpud.ini

        Comment


        • #5
          OK. Port selection worked fine (once the PIM was connected to the Zee S2, it shows up correctly in the plug-in configuration list).

          I'm new to HomeSeer, so forgive the stupid question: How do I get a file onto the Zee S2 to a place that the plug-in can read it?

          EDIT: I got the file over the Zee S2 over SSH (in /usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/UPB/test.upb), but after setting this path in the plug-in config and clicking Import, it says "Import Failed". There is on other output. The file has read rights for everyone. How do I troubleshoot?
          Last edited by Eric24; July 9th, 2015, 03:59 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            How do I get a file onto the Zee S2 to a place that the plug-in can read it?
            Is this relating to the UPB plugin?

            1 - you know how to create you UPB file and I am guessing you utilized Upstart for this.
            2 - on the same Wintel machine you use Upstart install WinSCP.
            3 - Relating to copying files, changing RW rights and editing files (like INI files) on the Zee S2 you can use WinSCP in Wintel.
            4 - easiest too if you shut down Homeseer when you are playing with files in the Homeseer directory.

            Very easy to use interface.

            BTW putting the port that doesn't exist in an INI file on your RPi2 - Zee S2 would never work as the hardware port is defined by a physically connected device. Homeseer 3 will only see this port / connected device if it is there physically there and not just defined in an INI file.

            I have attached a picture of it running on a Wintel machine talking to the Zee-2 on the RPi2.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; July 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM.
            - Pete

            Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

            X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Eric24 View Post
              EDIT: I got the file over the Zee S2 over SSH (in /usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/UPB/test.upb), but after setting this path in the plug-in config and clicking Import, it says "Import Failed". There is on other output. The file has read rights for everyone. How do I troubleshoot?
              set the log level to debug in the config page of the plugin, then try the import again, then copy the logs from VIEW > Logs and paste them here.

              Comment


              • #8
                @Pete - Thank you; I ended up doing exactly that and it worked fine.

                @Spud: I'm a moron--I was trying to import the .upb file, not the exported file (.upe); the latter works like a charm (as to all of my UPB devices)!

                Which brings me to my next few questions:
                1) Is there a way to prevent certain items from being imported or to "hide" them after import? And if I do, will they just "come back" on the next import?
                2) After the import, no labels are visible on "View/Device Status"; everything is there, grouped by Location/Room, but you have to hover over the power icon to see the device label.
                3) Maybe more of an HS3 question, but the import includes my UPB scenes, which work as expected if activated via the web interface, but no scenes show up in HSTouch on my phone. Is there a way to expose the UPB scenes on HSTouch?
                4) Similar to scenes, if I create an event that triggers on a Z-Wave device, it appears in HSTouch Events, but an event that triggers on a UPB device does not (although in both cases, the events work when the triggering event occurs).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Aha--I figured out how (or a way) to get the UPB scenes to appear in HSTouch: assign them to a location. By default, they show up under the "unknown" location, which don't appear in HSTouch. Is there a way to make this "location" assignment in UpStart so that the scenes import with it?

                  Also, when importing the .upe file, is this a "delete and replace" operation, such that any changes I've made to UPB devices in HS3 are lost?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Eric24 View Post
                    Aha--I figured out how (or a way) to get the UPB scenes to appear in HSTouch: assign them to a location. By default, they show up under the "unknown" location, which don't appear in HSTouch. Is there a way to make this "location" assignment in UpStart so that the scenes import with it?
                    there is no automatic way to poulate the location field for UPB Links, but I'm surprised the "unknown" locations don't show in HSTouch

                    Originally posted by Eric24 View Post
                    Also, when importing the .upe file, is this a "delete and replace" operation, such that any changes I've made to UPB devices in HS3 are lost?
                    when you reimport the .upe file, HS won't delete anything, it will just create new devices if there is any. So you can rename the HS devices to anything you want, your changes won't be deleted.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by spud View Post
                      when you reimport the .upe file, HS won't delete anything, it will just create new devices if there is any. So you can rename the HS devices to anything you want, your changes won't be deleted.
                      OK. That works (just trying to understand it). So I guess it bases "new device" on finding a new UPB ID? And if I delete something from the .upe file, I guess I'll need to deleted it in HS too, right?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Eric24 View Post
                        OK. That works (just trying to understand it). So I guess it bases "new device" on finding a new UPB ID? And if I delete something from the .upe file, I guess I'll need to deleted it in HS too, right?
                        correct

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for all your help. So far, everything is working very well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            PS - I suppose the same logic applies to scenes found in the .upe file (i.e. existing scenes by scene number are left alone, new ones are added)?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X