Plug-in crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-in crashing

I have a problem with this plugin crashing frequently (about once a day). And worse, when it crashes there is a dialog box on the Hometroller box saying it has crashed and the plugin does not restart until that dialog box is dismissed. Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts as to a solution? This is causing lots of problems (overflowed my swimming pool one time, as it missed the UPB signal that the pool is full). I have fixed some of my events to be sort of failure proof (or at least failure tolerant), but I shouldn't have to do this. I'm thinking of trying the Homeseer plugin but that would require editing a whole lot of events, so I'm not thrilled with the idea.

Any thoughts?

I am running HS3 Pro on a Hometroller series 4 (I think) box.

what version of the plugin are you running?

could you set the log level to debug, and post the logs you get just before the crash?

thanks

Comment

Logs

Here are two files---one is everything logged by the plug-in since the system was rebooted on December 6. The second one is the entire log (not filtered) from 10:00 this morning until 10:35. My guess is the plugin crashed at about 10:05 (the last message from the plug-in is 10:05:39), and then I noticed and cleared the dialog at 10:32:13 (when the log acknowledges it is down), and it restarted.

I wonder if all the activity around link 202 (activating and deactivating) may be overloading your queue. Link 202 commands are generated by a UMI32 connected to a water level sensor in the pool. The time around all that activity is when my pool guy was here cleaning the pool and likely causing the sensor contact to open and close because of the disturbance of the water around the sensor as he cleaned the pool.

Thanks for any help.

Pete Tompkins
      Attached Files

Comment

Please test version 3.0.0.29 attached, I fixed a possible buffer overrun in this version. Unfortunately there is not enough info in the logs to tell if this is the problem you are experiencing, but I also added some more error trapping in the new version, so if you still get a problem hopefully we will get more info.
        Attached Files

Comment

So far so good! But I haven't really done anything to stress it (and won't have time to do so until probably Monday).

I'll let you know what I find out.

Pete

Comment

Another strange thing (maybe HS3 and not your plugin)

I just restarted HS3 and got teo messages from the plugin:
            Dec-11 7:18:01 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIMADAPTER:: Access to the port 'COM1' is denied.

Dec-11 7:18:01 PM UPBSpud ERROR PIMADAPTER:: Unable to open PIM port COM1

Stopped and started the plugin and it started correctly (on COM9) which is where it has always been configured. No idea why it would have been looking at COM1, unless HS3 sent the wrong parameter to you at startup.

Comment

Originally posted by pete@malibubeach.com View Post
              I just restarted HS3 and got teo messages from the plugin:
              Dec-11 7:18:01 PM UPBSpud DEBUG PIMADAPTER:: Access to the port 'COM1' is denied.

Dec-11 7:18:01 PM UPBSpud ERROR PIMADAPTER:: Unable to open PIM port COM1

Stopped and started the plugin and it started correctly (on COM9) which is where it has always been configured. No idea why it would have been looking at COM1, unless HS3 sent the wrong parameter to you at startup.
              yeah some strange things happen with COM port sometimes, but I think this is a HS3 bug.
              to force the COM port, add this line to your UPB.ini

Code:
              [PIM]
              com_port=COM9

Comment

I assume you mean UPBspud.ini (the UPB.ini looks old and probably left over from when I tried the Homeseer plugin last May (the time stamp on the file).

Also, it has run now for about a week with no crashes, so whatever you did in the version you posted in this thread seems to have resolved my problem.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Damn---it crashed again

So it ran nearly a month---I can live with one crash a month. And I had gotten so confident that I turned off most of the debugging, so there is nothing you can learn or do. The one thing that is really troubling however, is when the plug-in dies (and this is true of one other plug-in and even HS3 which dies very occasionally) it leaves up a dialog saying "an error has occurred . . ." and the plug-in does not restart until that is manually cleared on the Homeseer console --- is there some setting somewhere that can resolve that? If your plugin (or any other) simply dies and restarts itself occasionally, it is livable, but when they die, they hang up with this dialog, so Homeseer does not detect the failure and the plug in is not restarted. I get messages like this in the log:
                  Jan-05 1:12:24 PM Warning Plugin UPBSpud is not responding but it is still running, not restarting yet.
                  They continue probably any time an event calls on the plug-in until I clear the dialog.

When I cleared the dialog, allowing it to restart, I get these three messages:
                  Jan-05 6:01:21 PM Warning I/O interface UPBSpud is down, executable is not running, restarting ...
                  Jan-05 6:01:21 PM Error Calling SetIOMulti in plugin UPBSpud:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
                  Jan-05 6:01:21 PM Info Plugin UPBSpud with instance: has disconnected

That middle one about SetIOMulti doesn't give you any kind of hint, does it??

Comment

unfortunately this error doesn't give any hint.

regarding the dialog popup you get when the plugin crash, it will be fixed in the next release. In the meantime you can try the workaround I posted in the other thread:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=178861

Comment

Working...
                    X