IS UPB dead ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    I know xAP never caught on, but I have been using it since HS1 days for UPB. Rock solid and no failures. I have spares that are just gathering dust.
    Michael, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can you provide a link to more info on using xAP with UPB? What about MQTT?

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Browse mcsSprinklers.com. All my xAP applications are there. I think there is also my xAP forum on this message. One sub forum is the library and the other is the discussion.

I have not touched it in years. It does use the Upstart export as its database for configuration.

It was done with vb6 so would be effort to do a MQTT variant. I do not intend to do this.

Comment

I am installing a few 3 way UPB switches and I was reading that it might be better to use all UPB switches and no companion ones. In other words, 1 switch in actually controlling the load and the other switch is sending a link message to control the main switch. My question is, how do I even set this up? Has someone on this forum configured these links before?
        Thanks

Comment

I three and two way in place for years using companion switches and have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smartdave View Post
            I am installing a few 3 way UPB switches and I was reading that it might be better to use all UPB switches and no companion ones. In other words, 1 switch in actually controlling the load and the other switch is sending a link message to control the main switch. My question is, how do I even set this up? Has someone on this forum configured these links before?
            I do it both ways and they both work fine, but if I had it to do over I would not use dedicated companion switches.

The downsides:
            • A fully functional UPB switch is more expensive than a companion switch.
            • Converting to standard switches from UPB will require that the wiring support the 3-way companion.
            The advantages come from the fact that 3-way wiring is not needed.
            • The 'companion' switch can be placed anywhere power is available.
            • The 'companion' can be added anytime. No need to plan ahead for where they go, or the 'aw shucks' realization that it would really be nice to have somewhere that doesn't have it. Same goes for making the light a 4-way (. . .or even n-way ).
            • UPB Links can be programmed to control the light in more ways than just the on and off provided by a conventional 3-way
            It's very easy to do using the UPStart software. If you haven't tried using UPB links yet, it's something I'd highly recommend you look into. They are very powerful.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I like to use the three-way switches because (I do mean the companion switches):
              1) They are considerably cheaper than the active UPB switches
              2) They do not load the line (each UPB switch draws down the signal just a smidge)
              3) They use standard 3-way wiring in the wall.
              4) They can be replaced quickly with regular 3-way 4-way setups if needed (see #3)
              5) There is no additional switch to reprogram.

On the other hand there are places where there wasn't three-way wiring and you can actually have the load controller completely separated from the paddle actions on the font of the switch. I LOVE UPB for this type of flexibility. This means I can have lights controlled from places where the electrician didn't think to put a switch.

Gray

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a bunch of left over UPB switches and companions. I am interested in how to do this without the companions.

Do you have a sample of how the link is programmed? I assume that the second switch works exactly as the primary. Double click on. Double click off. Hold to dim etc..

Thanks

Comment

One of my issues with the companion switch in the second switch box, I don't have a constant power feed. Only the red traveler and the black traveler and the load wire. This makes it challenging using the companion switch. However using a standard UPB switch I can use the red as a power lead from the first switch to the second one

Comment

I am interested in how to do this without the companions. Do you have a sample of how the link is programmed?
                    I'm not sure what you are asking, but PCS has some useful instructional videos, including one on setting up links: https://pcswebstore.com/pages/videos
                    (Note, the videos were made some time ago, so they do not depict the look and feel of recent versions of UPStart. The link video describes adding link transmission to buttons on a keypad, but using a switch as a companion switch is the same as turning it into a two button 'keypad' so the process is the same.)

I assume that the second switch works exactly as the primary. Double click on. Double click off. Hold to dim etc.
                    No, it will not replicate the controlling switch, because it does not control the load itself, it only broadcasts the links that have been programmed. (It should be possible to approximate replicating the action of the primary switch, but I've never tried to do that.)

Comment

Is there anyway to update the firmware on these switches? I am have many switches and the firmware builds are all over the place. That being said I am trying to use a feature that is not available on the firmware build that I have on this particular switch. These are HAI UPB switches. Thanks

Comment

Is there anyway to update the firmware on these switches? I am have many switches and the firmware builds are all over the place. That being said I am trying to use a feature that is not available on the firmware build that I have on this particular switch. These are HAI UPB switches. Thanks
                        No the switch firmware is not upgradable ... you would need to replace the switch with the firmware supports the feature that you want .... or try to program around it.

Comment

Thanks, I just programmed around it...

Comment

Working...
                          X