Ubuntu 20.04 / HS4 / HomeSeer UPB setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 20.04 / HS4 / HomeSeer UPB setup

This is how I installed the unsupported Homeseer UPB plugin on Ubuntu 20.04 with HS4 Standard Edition 4.1.6.0, to interface with a Simply Automated UMC-USB-W PIM (not supported by UPBSpud, according to the UPBSpud forum). These instructions also import your existing UPB network.

Go to Plugins / Add, for me it didn’t show up in the list, so I had to search for UPB (all caps), searching for upb (lowercase) was ineffective.

Once installed, you have to contact HomeSeer tech support for your UID or licenseID and password, and enter that information into Plugins / Installed / Register

While you’re on that screen, switch the plugin on

Prior to configuration, you will want to go into UpStart (the program you used to configure your UPB network) and export your existing UPB network configuration as somefilename.upe

Upload the .upe file to your Ubuntu system and copy it into the HomeSeer Config directory (this would have been configured during your HomeSeer installation, I used /usr/local/HomeSeer/Config)

Configuration of the plugin in HomeSeer requires you to connect your PIM to your Ubuntu system, which may have been connected to another system for running UPStart.

Open a terminal and run dmesg

At the bottom of the output, your PIM when connected should show up as ttyxxx (for me TTYUSB0)

From the browser HomeSeer interface go to Plugins / Installed / More / Config

Select the correct power line device interface port from the list (you got this from dmesg, if you haven’t plugged in your PIM it won’t appear in the dropdown list)

Change the file name and or location of the UPStart Export File Location

Make any other selections necessary and click Save Changes

Then go to devices and see what you’ve done. WHOA!

I haven’t tested this for very long, but it seems to work very well so far.
Working...
X