X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody seen this?

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2220qs.pdf

It's a good primer on UPB.

Unfortunately they miss the true power of a link, as they are more than just a scene. They are a scene AND a way to control a group of lights so that they act at the exact same time. The way to think about it is that you can have "Scene activate", "Scene deactivate", *and* any device control command go to that set of lights. This makes it scene control and grouping all in one.

Originally posted by DC
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I haven't figure out the benefit of scenes when using HS to control lights. I know the purpose is so that you can push one button on a controller and have multiple lights come on, or go off or go to preset dim levels, etc. But you don't need scene capable switches to do that with HS. HS can send each individual switch the appropriate command, can't it?

Comment

Originally posted by DC
        I haven't figure out the benefit of scenes when using HS to control lights. I know the purpose is so that you can push one button on a controller and have multiple lights come on, or go off or go to preset dim levels, etc. But you don't need scene capable switches to do that with HS. HS can send each individual switch the appropriate command, can't it?
        DC,
        There are many who apparently like the ability to turn on several lights at the EXACT same moment. With X10 if you send several commands there may be a second or two between when one light comes on and another comes on. I personally do not sit around and watch lights come on so this isn't an important feature.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

It is also a huge traffic reducer, plus you don't have the sometimes significant delay (when HomeSeer is busy) in terms of running into a dark room where HomeSeer has to see the On command from the controller and then send out a bunch of commands to the lights.

The thing that most people don't get is that it sure is nicer to send a "Living room lights on" command than a "This light on, that light on, the other light on". Especially when adding or removing a light from the "Living Room Lights" link means that nothing has to change in the HomeSeer programming. No muss no fuss. Plus they all go on together.

Originally posted by Rupp
          DC,
          There are many who apparently like the ability to turn on several lights at the EXACT same moment. With X10 if you send several commands there may be a second or two between when one light comes on and another comes on. I personally do not sit around and watch lights come on so this isn't an important feature.
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I think the group on command in HS will turn all lights in the group on at the same time, and also dim them. Works for me.
            Thanks,

T.

Comment

There is another thread on this subject. X10 has very limited support for grouping. The command has to be built-up with each device address so it can take a while for the command to complete. It also only supports on and off. Because it is a larger group of commands strung together it has (NumDevices) times more chance of going bad than a normal command. UPB uses links to accompish the same thing with an unlimited number of devices and a single command. HomeSeer grouping will only work with X10 devices within their limitations, otherwise HS just sends out individual commands to each device.

Originally posted by Tcassio
              I think the group on command in HS will turn all lights in the group on at the same time, and also dim them. Works for me.
              Jon Ort
              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
              X