Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPB Fan Speed Control

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    UPB Fan Speed Control

    this is a better group for advice......

    I have a Broan ventilation fan (bathroom) that can use a speed control, but I want to use UPB in wall control , are there any specific units that I might use ?

    http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=706

    Thanks
    HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

    #2
    UPB Fan Control

    Originally posted by Richard
    this is a better group for advice......

    I have a Broan ventilation fan (bathroom) that can use a speed control, but I want to use UPB in wall control , are there any specific units that I might use ?
    Richard,

    At this point we can only turn the fan on and off. If you tried to "dim" the fan it is likely you would hear an obnoxious hum. We do have a fan control switch on the dream list. I cannot say when it will become a product.

    Comment


      #3
      Are you at liberty to say what devices SA is working on for the near future?

      I would love to see something similar to the KeypadLinc. I know you have an 8 button controller but the buttons don't light up to indicate which ones are on. That's a serious limitation, in my opinion.

      Comment


        #4
        The next device we release will be a Pocket Programmer. It is UPStart in a hand held device that plugs into the wall and used for initial configuration.

        I know we are working on lighted keypads... and other stuff.

        Comment


          #5
          Hardware UPB

          For use in controlling my fan, in the Smarthome world it could be accomplished with an switch that has a neutral wire (load and neutral) because I understand that the "typical x10" had some of its control electrical coming through the "load" and on a fan there is not the same load as a light bulb.

          Please feel free to comment, I am looking for a "slow the fan" solution that is UPB. I do not want a powerline flakey stuff solution.

          Is there any outdoor motion / lights on the production schedule.

          What the world needs is a motion sensor that is UPB reliable ?

          Thanks
          HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

          Comment


            #6
            Unfortunetly, the only true solution for fans on the market is the Lightolier Compose fan control. At a little under $100, most people cannot justify it for a large ceiling fan, let alone a bathroom fan. Lightolier is about the best quality equipment you can get in the X10 world, but it's still X10. Judging by the interest the Lightolier has gotten with the professional installers, IMHO it would be a good idea for SA to grab the reins for a UPB version.
            My system is described in my profile.

            Comment


              #7
              Someone I spoke to...

              said that a Smartlinc with a seperate neutral wire will control most bathroom and ceilings fans.

              Any real examples out there ? I do not have a unit to test out .


              Anyone have a recommendation until SA creates a motor control unit |?

              Thanks JL and others in advance.
              HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

              Comment


                #8
                Richard,
                I use 3 Z-Wave relay switches on my bathroom fans and they work perfectly. I have each one stay on for 45 minutes once it turned on so it drys the bathrooms out.
                -Rupp
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  From the original post I think he was looking for a switch with speed control. Any old relay/appliance switch will work fine with a fan so long as you don't want remote speed control.

                  Jon


                  Originally posted by Rupp
                  Richard,
                  I use 3 Z-Wave relay switches on my bathroom fans and they work perfectly. I have each one stay on for 45 minutes once it turned on so it drys the bathrooms out.
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                  (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    speed control is needed ....

                    yep, I was thinking from what I read that speed control (with neutral lead is possible) Rupp, anyone, have you had success with speed control on a bathroom fan.

                    Ramp up to 60 % for X minutes then OFF. 100 % is just too much air flow.

                    .... the Broan fan has a manual speed control wall switch, this is what I want to replace with a remote control speed unit.

                    Thanks in advance,
                    HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Richard,
                      I haven't tried using a dimming module on a bathroom fan. I just use relays. I wish mine moved too much air. I have to leave mine on for 45 minutes to clear the room of moisture. The 10 foot ceilings kill me along with undersized fans.
                      -Rupp
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Richard
                        anyone, have you had success with speed control on a bathroom fan.
                        I have my bathroom fan on a 1000 watt X10 dimming switch. The dimming level does control the speed of the bathroom fan. In my house, I also use Zwave and UPB but the bathroom fan works so well on X10, I've never taken the time to change it.
                        James

                        Running HS 3 on Win10 .

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Generally motors work very badly on dimmers. You can burn them out pretty easily.


                          Jon


                          Originally posted by jasv
                          I have my bathroom fan on a 1000 watt X10 dimming switch. The dimming level does control the speed of the bathroom fan. In my house, I also use Zwave and UPB but the bathroom fan works so well on X10, I've never taken the time to change it.
                          Jon Ort
                          JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                          (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Motors burn easily on dimmers

                            Originally posted by Oman
                            Generally motors work very badly on dimmers. You can burn them out pretty easily.


                            Jon
                            I had read about that but had decided to try anyway. So far it has been over 6 months on a heavily used bathroom (other is being remodeled) for a family of 5 and it has been working fine. But I am taking a chance that should be noted to anyone wanting to do the same thing.
                            James

                            Running HS 3 on Win10 .

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Four years later - is there yet a UPB fan control?

                              Originally posted by UPBseer View Post
                              Richard,

                              At this point we can only turn the fan on and off. If you tried to "dim" the fan it is likely you would hear an obnoxious hum. We do have a fan control switch on the dream list. I cannot say when it will become a product.
                              Does fan control exisist yet? I have three large tropical fans under covered porch.

                              Pete

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X