PIM Stops responding in HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIM Stops responding in HS

Twice now, after about a week of running HS 2 with UPB 1.0.0.6, the PIM stops communicating with HS or is it the other way around?

If I close HS, verify communications with UPStart, all is okay.

Then, when I re-start HS, devices respond, again.

Any ideas?

Michael

I would need to see a log when it happens to know what the issue is. Right now my longest uptime with HS2 and UPB (and everything else) is 22 days. That seems to be how long I can go before HST updates HS with a bugfix I need :>

I use UPB pretty heavily as all my lighting is UPB based and I haven't had the PIM go out yet. It is a SimplyAutomated serial PIM.

Is this a USB or serial PIM, which Mfgr, and are you using a USB to serial adapter?

Jon

Originally posted by MRTaylor
    Twice now, after about a week of running HS 2 with UPB 1.0.0.6, the PIM stops communicating with HS or is it the other way around?

If I close HS, verify communications with UPStart, all is okay.

Then, when I re-start HS, devices respond, again.

Any ideas?

Michael
    Last edited by Oman; January 18, 2006, 10:31 PM.
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Oman,

Using a SA PIM, serial, connected to motherboard com port.

When I look at detailed logging, I see try #1, #2, #3, #4. When I stop HS and use UPStart, PIM is fine. When I re-start HS, PIM is fine.

Next time it happens, I will turn on logging and send you a snippet.

Michael

Comment

The baud rate on the serial PIM is set and the needed settings are set by the plug-in into NVRAM. This means that the power can go out and when the PIM comes back online the plug-in will still work properly.

The fact that the plug-in it retrying means that the serial port appears to still be open and functioning but the PIM is not responding. It would be interesting to see if there is a specific message after each retry as to if the PIM is saying no devices can be reached or if the PIM is just not doing anything at all.

Jon

Oman,

Using a SA PIM, serial, connected to motherboard com port.

When I look at detailed logging, I see try #1, #2, #3, #4. When I stop HS and use UPStart, PIM is fine. When I re-start HS, PIM is fine.

Next time it happens, I will turn on logging and send you a snippet.

Michael
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Jon,

Please see the attached doc file. Message too long for board.

Thanks,

Michael
          Attached Files

Comment

There are two threads that the plug-in launches to handle reading from the PIM and writing to it. I was able to simulate what you are seeing by using a tool to kill the threads while the plug-in was running.

If you have detailed logging on, you should see "In ReadSerialThread" and "In WriteSerialThread" when the plug-in starts. As well you will see the same "Exit" messages when the threads shut down properly.

The question is, when you shut down the plug-in *after* you lose communication with the PIM, do you still get the "exit" messages in your log. If you don't then for some reason the threads were killed.

I can add some diagnostics to the plug-in to detect this condition, but it just should not happen in the first place.

Do you see anything in the log in the hours before you noticed the UPB communication stopping? I just checked my own HA machine and I've got 12 days running. I have motion controlled UPB lights so they are running continuously. I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Jon

Jon,

Please see the attached doc file. Message too long for board.

Thanks,

Michael
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I haven't looked for these, but will.

I'll see if HS logs directory has something in it that will help and will let you know, Jon.

Thanks,

Michael

Nope, turned logging back to normal before I shut down HS. I will wait for the problem again (using your Beta, when you deliver it) and then turn on detailed logging for you.

Thanks,

Michael
              Last edited by MRTaylor; February 5, 2006, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X