UPB Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB Experience

Just purchased 5 SAUS240s and 2 HAI 6-button room controllers, along with SAs CIM and phase coupler. Some of my experience so far:

Installed HAI 6-button controller and UPstart found it and configured it, no problem -- signal and noise looked great.

Installed US240 IN SAME BOX as HAI 6-button, physically wired to same power. UPstart could not find it. Tried another US240, no go. Tried a second HAI 6-button controller, no go. Of multiple devices, 1 was discovered and all comm data looked great. No other device could even be found.

Started moving switches around house (plugged them into receptacles) and found they worked some places, and not others.

Installed phase coupler. No appreciable change in performance.

Moved CIM (via long extension cord) to another room, away from computer. All started working well. Great signal and noise from all devices.

Then, noticed some X10 devices no longer responded to X10 transmissions. Removed UPB phase coupler, and X10 again working.

Questions:

1) I was surprised that at the same location, one device was discovered and comm test should great results, while other devices could not even be discovered.

2) What are people doing about the coupler eating X10 signals

I'll report back more results as I install the remaining switches.

Ed
    tenholde

I have the coupler installed and I'm getting X10 bridged as well. Maybe you have both an X10 coupler and a UPB coupler?

I have never seen one device work and another not work when hooked up to the same box. So you had 2 6-button controllers and one worked and one would not in the same box? That just sounds fishy.

Jon

Originally posted by tenholde
    Just purchased 5 SAUS240s and 2 HAI 6-button room controllers, along with SAs CIM and phase coupler. Some of my experience so far:

Installed HAI 6-button controller and UPstart found it and configured it, no problem -- signal and noise looked great.

Installed US240 IN SAME BOX as HAI 6-button, physically wired to same power. UPstart could not find it. Tried another US240, no go. Tried a second HAI 6-button controller, no go. Of multiple devices, 1 was discovered and all comm data looked great. No other device could even be found.

Started moving switches around house (plugged them into receptacles) and found they worked some places, and not others.

Installed phase coupler. No appreciable change in performance.

Moved CIM (via long extension cord) to another room, away from computer. All started working well. Great signal and noise from all devices.

Then, noticed some X10 devices no longer responded to X10 transmissions. Removed UPB phase coupler, and X10 again working.

Questions:

1) I was surprised that at the same location, one device was discovered and comm test should great results, while other devices could not even be discovered.

2) What are people doing about the coupler eating X10 signals

I'll report back more results as I install the remaining switches.

Ed
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Both X10 and UPB Coupler

I have both a Leviton X10 repeater and amplifier and the SA UPB coupler, both attached to same set of breakers.

Any recommendations?

Ed
      tenholde

Comment

I ripped out my X10 repeater when I put in the UPB bridge. I wasn't expecting X10 to work but the UPB bridge seemed to work for the little X10 I was still doing. If anything I would try to put the devices on different breakers so they had just a little separation, or just see what happens if you remove the X10 repeater.

Jon

Originally posted by tenholde
        I have both a Leviton X10 repeater and amplifier and the SA UPB coupler, both attached to same set of breakers.

Any recommendations?

Ed
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com
        (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I had one SAUS240 fail..

I had at one SAUS240 that would control the load just fine but it could not be seen by UPBStart. I tried a different switch and it worked fine. I called SA (very helpfuly company) and they deemed it faulty and I returned it ti Automated Outlet for an exchange.

Not likely that yours are faulty since they seem to work in other areas. I know I have at least one circuit that is noisy and I can't get any UPB devices to work on it. I haven't yet figured out what is causing the noise.
          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Also, keep in mind the UPB bridge may be bad. I got a SA UPB bridge and it "looked" OK (the little light was on), but it didn't seem to do anything (well, a little but neglible). I contacted my distributor and they sent me a PCS bridge to replace it. Putting that in fixed everything (UPB started working very well).

Not that PCS is any better than SA, but you may want to consider the bridge being sub-optimal and try another one.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
            X