Question for UPBSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for UPBSeer

I am slowly replacing all my X10 with UPB. I'm very happy with UPB so far (and most of what I have is Simply Automated).

I have two X10 8 button KeypadLincs that are critical for me. They are basically my only interaction with Homeseer. We use them to set "modes" like home/away, awake/asleep, holiday, vacation, mute, dogs inside, etc. I know you have 8 button UPB controllers but they won't work well for this because the buttons don't toggle on and off. What I need is for a button, when pushed, to turn ON if it's off and OFF if it's on. I also need it to be illuminated so we can tell whether it's on or off (or so we can tell whether HS is in awake or asleep mode, for example). I also need it to reflect changes initiated by HS. In other words, if a button is OFF, HS can turn it ON in some situations.

I think this could be done very elegently with UPB by simply programming each button to a scene number. That way the button could toggle the scene between "ativate" and "deactivate".

Can you tell me if you are working on anything like this and, if so, when it might be available?

Thanks.

It is possible to do this now. HomeSeer can control the LED state of the button, and the button press can toggle the LED state as well as send a command to HomeSeer. Therefore you get state indication through the LED and also the ability to set/reset the state.

Jon

Originally posted by DC
    I am slowly replacing all my X10 with UPB. I'm very happy with UPB so far (and most of what I have is Simply Automated).

I have two X10 8 button KeypadLincs that are critical for me. They are basically my only interaction with Homeseer. We use them to set "modes" like home/away, awake/asleep, holiday, vacation, mute, dogs inside, etc. I know you have 8 button UPB controllers but they won't work well for this because the buttons don't toggle on and off. What I need is for a button, when pushed, to turn ON if it's off and OFF if it's on. I also need it to be illuminated so we can tell whether it's on or off (or so we can tell whether HS is in awake or asleep mode, for example). I also need it to reflect changes initiated by HS. In other words, if a button is OFF, HS can turn it ON in some situations.

I think this could be done very elegently with UPB by simply programming each button to a scene number. That way the button could toggle the scene between "ativate" and "deactivate".

Can you tell me if you are working on anything like this and, if so, when it might be available?

Thanks.
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

So, pressing a button once sends "activate" and turns the LED on and pressing it again sends "deactivate" and turns the LED off? That's exactly what I need but I didn't think they worked that way.

Can you tell me which manufacturer/device works this way? Thanks.

Comment

The switches can be programmed to do several different things, but this the default action when you set it to link toggle. All of the keypads support this.

Jon

Originally posted by DC
        So, pressing a button once sends "activate" and turns the LED on and pressing it again sends "deactivate" and turns the LED off? That's exactly what I need but I didn't think they worked that way.

Can you tell me which manufacturer/device works this way? Thanks.
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm not finding anything on Smarthome or Automated Outlet that looks like it does this. Specifically, I don't find any that have illuminated buttons. Simply Automated has interchangeable faceplates for their controllers but I don't think the buttons are illuminated.

Comment

It sounds like you are talking about switches not keypads. The switches don't have indicators for anything other than the load. The UPB keypads have illuminated buttons but don't have load control. Right now there is no UPB device that has illuminated buttons AND load control.

Jon

Originally posted by DC
            I'm sorry but I'm not finding anything on Smarthome or Automated Outlet that looks like it does this. Specifically, I don't find any that have illuminated buttons. Simply Automated has interchangeable faceplates for their controllers but I don't think the buttons are illuminated.
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=147&page=1

They call it a controller. This is just a faceplate that goes on a Universal Tranceiver Base:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=142&page=1

I can't find anything similar from PCS. Under PCS Wall Mount Controllers, it says "There are no available products under this manufacturer".

HAI has something they also call a controller that looks like it would work but they haven't been shipping products since the hurricane last fall. I've had an order in for some HAI switches since October and it's still back ordered.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=170&page=1

Are there other options I'm missing?

Comment

Originally posted by DC
                This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=147&page=1

They call it a controller. This is just a faceplate that goes on a Universal Tranceiver Base:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=142&page=1

I can't find anything similar from PCS. Under PCS Wall Mount Controllers, it says "There are no available products under this manufacturer".

HAI has something they also call a controller that looks like it would work but they haven't been shipping products since the hurricane last fall. I've had an order in for some HAI switches since October and it's still back ordered.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=170&page=1

Are there other options I'm missing?
                I'm using the HAI and they do what you want. I ordered them last month and received them in 3 days. Here is link:

http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=849

Ed
                tenholde

Comment

More specifically:

http://www.smarthome.com/110528.html

Ed
                  tenholde

Comment

As you have noted, the Simply Automated buttons do NOT do what you want. But the HAI 6 and 8 button keypads are illuminated and also can be programmed so that each of the eight buttons is like an on/off switch, with settings for single and double tap when off and more settings for single and double tap when on. Take a look at this: http://www.homeauto.com/Downloads/Products/HLC/Model38I00-2UPB8-ButtonController.pdf My whole house is full of 50 or 60 Simply Automated switches, but I have taken out the US2-40's with their 8-button switches and replaced them with the much more versatile HAI keypads--got a couple at a good price on eBay and havve bought most of them (as well as the other switches) from Worthington which seems to have the best prices.

Pete

Comment

PCS: http://www.pulseworx.com/products/keypads.html

You have the links to HAI, but if they are not shipping then you would have to find them in stock at a supplier.

There is also another mfgr that I have not tested... Colorado Mountain Systems or something like that. I don't have a link handy.

Jon

Originally posted by pete@malibubeach.com
                      As you have noted, the Simply Automated buttons do NOT do what you want. But the HAI 6 and 8 button keypads are illuminated and also can be programmed so that each of the eight buttons is like an on/off switch, with settings for single and double tap when off and more settings for single and double tap when on. Take a look at this: http://www.homeauto.com/Downloads/Products/HLC/Model38I00-2UPB8-ButtonController.pdf My whole house is full of 50 or 60 Simply Automated switches, but I have taken out the US2-40's with their 8-button switches and replaced them with the much more versatile HAI keypads--got a couple at a good price on eBay and havve bought most of them (as well as the other switches) from Worthington which seems to have the best prices.

Pete
                      Jon Ort
                      JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Looks like the PCS 8-button controller is exactly what I need. They aren't listed on Automated Outlet's web site though. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can special order them.

Last question, it says the buttons can be custom engraved. How does that work? Do you have to order the switch that way or do they send you replacement buttons? I hope the buttons are replaceable so I can change the function in the future if I need to. Do you know how many characters are available?

Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

I know they pop off and are planning on allowing custom printing on replacement buttons. Last I had heard the custom buttons were not quite available yet. Give them a call to see if they have them available.

Jon

Originally posted by DC
                          Looks like the PCS 8-button controller is exactly what I need. They aren't listed on Automated Outlet's web site though. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can special order them.

Last question, it says the buttons can be custom engraved. How does that work? Do you have to order the switch that way or do they send you replacement buttons? I hope the buttons are replaceable so I can change the function in the future if I need to. Do you know how many characters are available?

Thanks very much for your help.
                          Jon Ort
                          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

This is right off the PCS web site. I wouldn't think they could advertise it that way if it wasn't true. I'm just not sure if you have to order it with the custom buttons or if you can order replacement customized buttons after the fact. I will call them tomorrow.

Comment

Here is what I found out from PCS. Custom engraving of the keypad buttons is available now. The cost is $35 per keypad. All buttons have to be done at one time because there is a removeable rubber membrane that is replaced. The membrane is one piece, each button is not separate. They have a form that you fill out with the lettering information and send back to them with $35 payment. It takes approximately two weeks to get the customized membrane back. Unless you want to change the labels frequently, this sounds like a great option and should look very professional.

Comment

Working...
                              X