Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new upb setup ... its really works great !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new upb setup ... its really works great !!

Finally set up UPB SA switched with HS, YES. Getting used to interface and the enhanced HS web page, really uses up device page space, with all those choices.

My question or issue (I do not which)
    * the device names changes when I start or end Upstart so if I change the device name to

location - Study
    device type - Lamp

It becomes the Upstart defined name. Is this correct?
    * Do I have to reset the each time ? Another became "Light Appliance" referring to appliance module.

from HS page
    Off Study Lamp \3 Today 8:58:07 AM

Also, from more of a how to design; the HS web page x10 groups I used was a grouping such as indoor and all the devices that were indoor to be user controlled. Now with upb a different flexibility is here.

* What would be a good way to HS display upb along with x10 so that a home user could go to web page and control devices "so is it really- control links" ..different way it views controls?

and if anyone can suggest, in the SA upstart software what is the best way to create links to control LED on keypad. I am not getting the beginning steps in the 149 page doc.

Thanks in advance.... upb is real nice.
    HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Richard,

I, too, am a big fan of UPB. One minor complaint (which I have learned to live with and don't even notice anymore) is the first item you noticed. Each time you start HS, the UPB configuration is reloaded, so you basically need to expect your device names and locations to be the UPB device and room names. Once I understood that, I haven't found it to be a problem (just go into UPstart and name the devices the way you want them named in HS).

I don't quite understand your question about have UPB and X10 devices on the same page. The UPB plug-in accepts the same commands as X10 (pretty much). So as long as you are talking about UPB devices (not links) they can be treated pretty much the same as X10 (including, for example, the ability to use the execX10 command within scripts). If you are talking about UPB links, they do, in fact, behave a little different from both UPB and X10 devices.

Finally, regarding the lights on keypads you have a couple of options. The first option is that they are devices in Homeseer---they have a device type of "UPB Button Indicator" and you can command them to be on or off just like any other device. So one option is to detect the event that should change the state of the LED and set the device status to turn it on or off. If you want the LED's to be controlled directly from a UPB device without interaction from HS, then you need to program the keypad in the 'receive actions' tab to recieve a particular link. And then on the transmitting device you go to the "transmitted commands" tab and tell it to use the same link you set the LED to receive (for example) to send activate on top rocker and deactivate on bottom rocker (or whatever combination you want).
    Pete

Comment

UPB world

Thanks for the complete explanation.

I see, on the name comes from Upstart to HS. It is a funny how that was designed.

The link view of control is very different way to control.

I meant to describe the HS web page with the link area; with on, off , dim, rlol, blink, all on the page in the control area. Takes up a lot of web space.
      ...when I select the enhanced view in the configuration.

Is there any area of the plugin that does not work as the X10 world did?

I have events trigger from CIM activity and so far "just starting ... it is real stable"

Now we all need outdoor motion, and "high current for pool motors" that is UPB controlled.

Thanks all.

Comment

One thing I did when setting up UPB keypads is that I did NOT use the option to automatically set the LED to correspond with the link. (I don't remember exactly what the option is called but it's obvious when you are configuring the keypad). Instead, I let HS turn the LED on or off in response to a button push. This way when I push a button I KNOW HS received the command because HS acknowledged it by turning the LED on or off. I just have two events for every button that uses the link activate or deactivate as a trigger and turns the LED on or off as the device action. It takes a second or two for the LED to go on or off but I like it because it confirms that HS "heard me".

Comment

upb and beyond

Great idea, it confirms and set the L|ED status.

I am liking the "super toggle" type button. I am looking at so many choices and trying to begin with basics of building a rock solid link setup.

Then and grow from there with HS , events controlled by upb buttons and Elk controls.

Has someone used the ELK M! upb interface ?

HS to CIM or ELK -> CIM and or ELK -> HS -> CIM I want HS to know status of doors and activity in house and react accordingly.

i.e.

door in study opens, light go to 60% in evening only.

Thanks all.

Comment

The ELK connection is a basic lighting interface. You have MUCH more power making the Elk one component and UPB another conneced through HomeSeer. You can do much more this way.

Jon

Originally posted by Richard
            Great idea, it confirms and set the L|ED status.

I am liking the "super toggle" type button. I am looking at so many choices and trying to begin with basics of building a rock solid link setup.

Then and grow from there with HS , events controlled by upb buttons and Elk controls.

Has someone used the ELK M! upb interface ?

HS to CIM or ELK -> CIM and or ELK -> HS -> CIM I want HS to know status of doors and activity in house and react accordingly.

i.e.

door in study opens, light go to 60% in evening only.

Thanks all.
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Just to make certain I'm not crazy...

To get local control on my 2-40 switches, I need to setup a link? Actually 2, one for EACH switch (one up one down), otherwise I can't have local control?

it seems to be the only way I can get the local control to work.

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

No, I don't think your crazy. I'm new at this as well, but as you have noticed, the US2-40 switches are pretty different from the others. I do beleive you need a link, but you can turn on or off if that link is actually transmitted outside the switch, and I think Link241 is the default. You can use the same link on all switches, but if you set them to transmit, I think they will all go on and off together.

The question I have, is how do you set a single click and a double click to go to different dim levels? Since a switch can have only 1 transmit link (I think) how do you set multiple dim levels?

Comment

The link is there for you when you add the device to UPStart. So yes, you need A link (not two) - but you don't have to do anything to get it.

Remember that a link command has a link number and a command. The command can be just about anything. That's why you don't need two of them. Paddle tap up can be Link241 on and paddle tap down can be 241 off. Just look at the options you get in the transmit link section. I think the 40 supports 6 commands per paddle but without looking I'm not sure that you can set more than 2 dim levels for those 6 commands.

Jon

Originally posted by drozwood90
                  Just to make certain I'm not crazy...

To get local control on my 2-40 switches, I need to setup a link? Actually 2, one for EACH switch (one up one down), otherwise I can't have local control?

it seems to be the only way I can get the local control to work.

--Dan
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

O.K. I understand that the link is required, but I still don't see how to make a single click say 50% and a double click say 90%? Under the transmit links, I can select "custom" so I have control of single click and double click, but since they both operate on the same link, I don't see how you can set two different dim levels, one for single click and one for double? In the receive link setup, there is only one dim level per link.

Comment

Look under the options tab for custom local control

Comment

You can do 100% and then any % you want, but I don't think you can do 50% and 90%.

What you do is have the default receive link for 241 set to 50%.

Then set the transmit link single tap to ON and the double-tap to ACTIVATE.

A single tap will go to 100% and the double-tap will go to the rate on the receive link.

Jon

Originally posted by anogee
                        O.K. I understand that the link is required, but I still don't see how to make a single click say 50% and a double click say 90%? Under the transmit links, I can select "custom" so I have control of single click and double click, but since they both operate on the same link, I don't see how you can set two different dim levels, one for single click and one for double? In the receive link setup, there is only one dim level per link.
                        Jon Ort
                        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Thanks Oman, that makes sense.

Event5 I think that is true for most switches, but the US2-40 is a bit different. Like you say, most switches let you select two dim levels there, but with this switch you just have a few options about transmitting links.

Overall, I can't say I'm a fan of the US2-40 switches, and I only use them if I need the extra buttons. I'm using one with a remote USR switch and both have the dual switch ZS12 faceplates, but it turns out to use both switches on the remote, you need two remote wires between switches, in addition to hot and neutral, so because I don't have two extra wires between switches (only one) I'll need to switch to a ZS11 on the remote.

I do like the blue/green color though.

Update: It works. You have to use "custom." Single tap, quick on, double tap, activate link.
                          Last edited by ; September 13, 2006, 07:21 PM.

Comment

You are right, I didn't realize that the us240 doesn't have the same options page as the other switches. I never used that part of the 240s. I called tech support at Simply Automated and they discribed a way to get 1 dim level and full on out of the custom programming. But with out a switch to play with right now I can't tell you how they said to do it. They said it was a tradeoff for the multi faceplate feature.

Comment

Actually the trade-off was being able to transmit link commands from the same rocker that controls the load. The first option: is complete custom control of the rocker one commands but no link transmit, or option two: link compliant commands with transmit to other switches.

I have been very happy with the us2-40s. They are extremely flexible, and since 99% of the time you want at least one of the paddle commands to be on 100% there was no loss of functionality for me.

Jon

Originally posted by Event5
                              You are right, I didn't realize that the us240 doesn't have the same options page as the other switches. I never used that part of the 240s. I called tech support at Simply Automated and they discribed a way to get 1 dim level and full on out of the custom programming. But with out a switch to play with right now I can't tell you how they said to do it. They said it was a tradeoff for the multi faceplate feature.
                              Jon Ort
                              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X