Rain 8UPB Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain 8UPB Problem

I am installing the Rain 8UPB modules. You have to configure the modules using a configuration program and then set up placemarker appliance modules in UpStart for each zone because the Rain8 is not recognizable to UpStart. The only way I could determine to set up "placemarkers" with in offline mode. I then uploaded my new UpStart file into Homeseer and the Rain 8 recognizes the commands from Homeseer, but the irrigation doesn't come on. Using a voltage meter, I've determined that there is no power out from the Rain 8 when I send the "on" command in Homeseer. I believe my problem might be the way I've set up the appliance modules in Homeseer, but can't prove it. Any ideas?

Hi CWB...

I'm seeing the same thing with my system. Did you ever get this resolved?

Here's what I have done so far: I programmed the DID's in the Rain8UPB module and confirmed they were readable. Then, with a helpful hint from Event5, set up dummy devices in UPStart while in the offline mode. Then I tried controlling the Rain8UPB with HS. Even though there is power to the Rain8UPB, I'm not able to turn any of the zones on or off. (Have the RainUPB in a bench set up with a V.O.M., not able to get the 24VAC through any of the zones. i.e., no volts between common and set screw #1 etc.)
    Last edited by cjrs27; October 5, 2007, 03:08 PM.

Comment

mcsSprinklers is able to control the Rain8UPB without the need to fake it with appliance modules and there is an effort underway with Jon to integrate control of a single UPB PIM with both mcsSprinklers and the UPB Plugin. At this time two PIMs are needed to control both lighting and irrigation when using the UPB plugin and mcsSprinklers. There have been several people who have tried to do what you are doing with making a Rain8UPB look like a set of appliance modules and I am not aware of anyone who has had success.

Comment

Hi Michael...

Bummer. The Rain8UPB came with instructions stating these were the steps to take.

I have the two PIMs so that isn't an issue, but it does bring up a rookie question. If all things UPB require UPStart, how do I add the Rain8UPB zones to UPStart if not by using dummy devices?

Comment

The approach to use use appliance modules as aliases for the rain8upb was an idea that was initiated by someone on this board and I relayed this information to WGL. Conceptually it will work, but since it appears that nobody has had success there is some integration problem. If I had to guess I would say it was due to the lack of ack from the Rain8UPB and the HS UPB Plugin is probably looking for it. The solution procedure that Jon proposed to me was to put hooks in both plugins so they could share the same PIM so that is the only avenue I'm pursuing.

Upstart is a tool to organize the UPB network, but it not a required element for devices to be compliant with the UPB specification. The HS Plugin depends upon it. xapmcsUPB also uses it, but allows extensions so devices that Upstart cannot see can still be configured.

Comment

For maybe some additional info (hoping for an epiphany in the process) please look at the pdf found in the posting at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=103311

Starting on page 134 of the pdf, if I am reading it correctly, I am to set up dummy devices in UPStart (section 11.5.4). Are the instructions regarding UPStart from mcsSprinklers and Rain8 incorrect or am I just missing something? When I follow these steps, UPStart certainly does not appear to control the Rain8 unit, and HS does not appear to control the Rain8 dummy devices in UPStart. Is mscSprinklers the missing magic bullet?
            Last edited by cjrs27; December 19, 2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmm...very interesting indeed.

So, essentially, right now my Rain8UPB is a handsome boat anchor?

Comment

I try to collect pertitent documentation for future reference and that is why it is showing in the mcsSprinklers document. Finding things scatter about the message board is often difficult. At the time I included it I was not aware that nobody had actually done it. mcsSprinklers was used with a breadboard Rain8UPB to work out firmware design bugs as well as provide an end-user solution for its control. I was just trying to be helpful to give HS users other options. I was not trying to publish known erroneous information.

mcsSprinklers does have the intelligence to manage a Rain8UPB and this will be the normal approach that most have used at this time. I also tested it with xapmcsUPB so that is another approach that can be used with either a single PIM or dual PIM depending upon the ones desire to control lighting with HS UPB plugin vs. xapmcsUPB.

You can use mcsSprinklers as a typical dump interface that is typical of HS plugins and control the timing based upon HS events or whatever scenario you were planning with the HS UPB Plugin. You can also take advantage of the control logic available with mcsSprinklers.

If you play with boats in the bathtub then you can use the Rain8UPB as an anchor if that is your inclination. I do not think it would do much in the ocean, however.

Comment

Just trying to get my arms around the best going-forward approach here, so thank you for your continued patience.

If I get the mcsSprinklers plugin, I won't have to add dummy UPStart devices and will be able to use HS to control the Rain8UPB unit?

If that is the best way to go at this point, do you have any recommendations on how to configure the Rain8UPB hardware and firmware, as well as the mscSprinkler and HS software?

Not sure how the single PIM solution might be helpful to me...my HS PIM is in my office and I was going to put the Rain8UPB unit in my garage. With my very limited experience, I would think I would still require the additional PIM in my garage for the Rain8UPB unit to receive instructions. Conceptually, how would the single PIM work while still taking advantage of the UPB communication (as in not having to string cable from my HS computer to my garage)?

Comment

mcsSprinklers will want a COM or IP interface to one PIM. Homeseer UPB Plugin will want a COM interface to one PIM. Rain8UPB will want a wired connection to one PIM. You can plug each of these PIM into your house wiring at any convenient location.

You use you pre-Rain8UPB Upstart export for the Homeseer UPB plugin.

You will program the Rain8UPB EPROM to select an address range and a DID for the input counter/switch. While you are there you can also program the timeout timers to some value a little longer than the longest you expect to control via Homeseer.

You will use the interview process at the startup of mcsSprinklers to configure your devices. If all you want is connectivity for HS control then you do not need to proceed beyond the assignment of wires to valves. This is the point where HS devices are created to correspond to valves. You can turn the valves on and off by controlling these devices.

If you want the irrigation schedule to be managed by mcsSprinklers then continue with the interview. You will still have the abilty to control the valves from HS devices if you wish, but the automatic control will likely be by the schedule you define for mcsSprinklers. If you want time-based control by mcsSprinklers then you will want the Basic version. If you want Weather-based control then you will want the Standard version. If you want lots of options then you will want the Professional version. The trial allows you to assess each level. If you do try various levels then I would suggest that before changing the level (from the Other Setup Page) that you save your configuration on the same Other Page. You can bring it back from the same setup location. This will assure that settings available on the higher versions are not lost when you go back to the lower version.

As a minimum you need two PIMs to run Homeseer and Rain8UPB. If you use xapmcsUPB to manage the Homeseer PIM then it is able to accept commands from the HS GUI and scripts as well as accept them from mcsSprinklers. While both xapmcsUPB and HS UPB plugin start with the UPStart export, they are different pieces of software so will present the user a different setup and modes of operation. If you are already setup with the HS UPB plugin then you will likely want to continue so you do not need to redo things. As you already know the HS UPB plugin will not have visibilty of the Rain8UPB so if you use it today then you cannot also use Rain8UPB with only two PIMs.

Comment

Hi Micheal...

You wrote mcsSprinklers? How cool is that! (OK, except for when there is some pesky rookie trying to figure out the details. )

LOL!!! OK, short of using it as an anchor for my bathtub fleet, it may just work out.

Comment

Single PIM workable?

"...The solution procedure that Jon proposed to me was to put hooks in both plugins so they could share the same PIM so that is the only avenue I'm pursuing. ..."

Hello Michael...

Any progress on doing this with one PIM?

Comment

Working...
                        X