Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS the Simply Automated UMC UPB USB PIM supported with this plugin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS the Simply Automated UMC UPB USB PIM supported with this plugin?

Is the Simply Automated UMC UPB USB PIM supported with this plugin?
    http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/...terface-Module

Also is there any plans on supporting the UPB USB Computer interface HAL-RCIUSB01 by Home Automated Living?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

It depends. If they used the reference USB controller supplied by the creators of UPB then yes. If they rolled their own then no. The problem with USB is that each manufacturer can choose a different USB interface chip and all then special code has to be written for each.

Jon

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Is the Simply Automated UMC UPB USB PIM supported with this plugin?
    http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/...terface-Module

Also is there any plans on supporting the UPB USB Computer interface HAL-RCIUSB01 by Home Automated Living?
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I've used one for over a year and it seems to work fine. I do have the occasional problem where my UPB just stops for no reason after weeks or months, but I'm not convinced that is a PIM problem.

Rupp, are you finally dumping that Z-Wave stuff and going toward a real HA technology?

Comment

I just bought the above mentioned SA USB UPB PIM.
        Homeseer just doesn't see it when USB is selected as the interface port option and I get errors.
        The PIM does however work just fine with Upstart.
        So for now I'm back to com 7 with a usb2com converter.
        Paul

Comment

I believe that SA went with their own USB controller for their PIM rather than using the reference interface. I would have to check to make sure of this, but if that is the case then the plug-in will not work with it.

Jon

Originally posted by Pnord View Post
          I just bought the above mentioned SA USB UPB PIM.
          Homeseer just doesn't see it when USB is selected as the interface port option and I get errors.
          The PIM does however work just fine with Upstart.
          So for now I'm back to com 7 with a usb2com converter.
          Paul
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

I just got off the phone with SA tech support. They do not recommend the USB PIM be used with a central controller. There is no custom driver built for it. A power dip or other change in the USB signal can cause loss of communication with the PIM. HAL has added an occasional hand shake to keep the USB connection. If the HS plug-in could add an ocassional handshake it would be more reliable.

Comment

The USB support built-in to the plug-in has USB drop/reconnect support. It is always an issue when USB self-powered endpoints are used.

Jon

Originally posted by Event5 View Post
              I just got off the phone with SA tech support. They do not recommend the USB PIM be used with a central controller. There is no custom driver built for it. A power dip or other change in the USB signal can cause loss of communication with the PIM. HAL has added an occasional hand shake to keep the USB connection. If the HS plug-in could add an ocassional handshake it would be more reliable.
              Jon Ort
              JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Thank you Jon, for the quick reply. I shouldn't have worded that last sentence that way

Thanks
                Dave

Comment

Mine might be the serial one.

Nevermind.

Comment

I recommend that you use the PCS PIM. New ones that you would buy now are Gen II which provides a lot of new benefits over Gen I. (Of course, they'll work with Gen I devices also). Simply Automated has decided they are not going to support Gen II which, in my opinion, means they won't be around much longer. Also, I've got a mixture of SA and PCS devices and the PCS devices are much better built and higher quality (especially the wall switches). I'm going 100% PCS from now one. I wish I had done that from the beginning.

BTW, PCS will upgrade Gen I devices to Gen II if you call them. It's just a firmware flash.

Comment

Working...
                    X