Flashing LED suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing LED suggestion

I have HAI switches and keypads. I need a keypad where I can give a UPB command that tells the device to blink its LED quickly. The idea is to indicate via a flashing LED some event in HS, like having new phone messages.

I looked at options in UPStart but did not find anything. I also found the PCS WS1E-5-X switch that says it has a "Security Flashing Mode", but I think that means it is flashing the "load" on/off via a single UPB command.

I know I could change the LED color by repeatedly giving a UPB ON/OFF command, but that is not what I am looking to do. That would cause too much UPB traffic and would be slower than I intend.

If anyone has another approach, I just need a way to indicate the phone message status using some sort of flashing led. It could be UPB, Insteon, or direct connect to a computer.

I also use the HAI keypads, i designate one button on each keypad to show we have voice mail. I don't know how to do what you want but I'll sure be following this thread. It's something I've often wondered how to do.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Possible solution

I have searched around the web and I can't find a product (or switch) that currently exists to do this. I am considering creating my own solution. I wonder if others would be interested in a product around this, or I could just share my plans once I have a solution (but it is not trivial).

I found a part that is a 7 segment LED module that connects to a serial port. I would like to create a flashing display of the number of new messages and old messages available. I have a wall mounted LCD display currently and plan on getting HSTouch, but the problem is a display does not catch the eye the way our older answering machine does and it can be turned off.

I also have a UPB pushbutton switch dedicated to control of voicemail, but without a display for new messages. So what I did so far in HS was to announce over the kitchen speakers when we had new messages. This happened when there was motion activity in the kitchen and only every few hours. However, that was not popular as it was "startling". What I have realized is that the user interface to devices is critical to acceptance by the family.

So, I am considering mounting the LED segment in a box that sits on the counter like an answering machine. There will be a new message counter and an old message counter. The whole display will flash when there are new messages and be steady when there are old ones. This will require a serial port, but there are also devices that change USB to serial.

I'd appreciate any input on this idea.

Comment

You can always make it wireless!

Throw a PIC uController in there and then it'll rock and roll.

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Why not simply put a lamp module and a small candle stick lamp on the counter? We have 2 stick lights in the kitchen and one is for waiting email and the other for waiting voice mails. In addition, my whole house audio speaks this info as well.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

running a 7 segment led or even several of them from an arduino board isn't too hard, but it requires a little c programming and a little bit of learning. I'm working on a project almost exactly what you are describing, only it's going to use a servo to raise a flag on a small mailbox, and show the number of messages on a couple of 7 segment led's. You can get arduino boards for under $20 if your a DIYer

http://www.arduino.cc/
            http://www.moderndevice.com/

I've built a few of these, and I really like the flexibility of being able to do whatever you want with them.
            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Rupp,
              Not a bad idea with the lamps, but I really want something to flash, and having the message count is a plus.

Joe,
              Thanks for the Arduino links. I will investigate further. The board I found was:
              http://www.siliconcraft.net/
              The SC4D looks quite complete for what I need and is $40. The arduino may be a help for other projects too.
              This site:
              http://homeauto.usandthem.com/ has an interesting garage door closer project that has flashing LEDs and uses a PIC micro-controller.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                You can always make it wireless!

Throw a PIC uController in there and then it'll rock and roll.

--Dan
                How do you make it wireless using a PIC?

Comment

A few years ago before i was using HS i had a small panel on the wall that for one thing had a led installed on it. When it had it's proper voltage it came on and blinked untill i cut power. At the time i was using a relay but no reason the same thing can't be done. I believe you can still buy flashing LED's.
                  Marty
                  ------
                  XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                  Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by danielperez View Post
                    I got some small wireless transmitters and receiver pairs that basically do serial at 2400 - 4800bps over wireless. They were really cheap from sparkfun.com

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=7813 they have these modules in a few different frequencies. I've seen a few examples of people using these with the arduino microcontrollers. Another solution could be to use the Xbee or bluetooth modules also available from sparkfun.
                    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by danielperez View Post
                      http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...cName=en010385

You need only add an antenna. I'm considering using this to replace the circuit I was using to transfer serial commands from server to pics scattered about the house. The scattered pics were to control my blinds and such. Due to unforseen forces, I was not able to spend enough time to complete the project.

So, while I had time, I was looking around and since then the rfPIC apparently came out.

Then just put one pic on a serial port (serial to RF), and the other on the receiving device. That, or buy the serial to rf devices from...I think the place I got them from was BlueOrbit or something like that.

--Dan
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Not a bad idea with the lamps, but I really want something to flash, and having the message count is a plus.
                        UPB modules do have a "blink" function which is activated via a link. It flashes the load about once a second. To clear it, HS would just "deactivate" the link (or activate it to turn the light on steady).

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm reading up on these micro-controllers. Regarding the point about "flashing the load" the idea is to flash the "LED" and not the load. I believe you can now do that (flash just the LED) with Gen II switches, but you could not with Gen I.... but now that I've learned about micro-controllers I might just go that route.

By the way, Gen II appears to also include auto-off timers.

Comment

Working...
                          X