No announcement yet.

UPB & Lightolier Compose Firewalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Gen II devices, you will probably have better luck with a split-phase repeater than with a passive phase coupler.

http://www.pulseworx.com/tools_.htm

I have a mixture of Gen I and Gen II. With the SPR, the signal strength is nearly always pegged for my Gen II devices.

Comment

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
      Hi Mike,

Did you manage to resolve the UPB signal strength issue you were seeing on one leg of your panel(s)?

Thanks,
      Don
      Don,
      Sorry, I missed this. I spoke with SA, and they agree the signal from the inverting coupler is probably being canceled by the firewall and believe a non-inverting coupler will solve the problem. I'm expecting to receive a non-inverting coupler any day now, and will report results after it is installed.

BTW, even if I turn off power to the firewall boxes (trip the breaker to the first circuit in the box), there is still no UPB signal on the leg without the PIM. I can also 'move' the PIM from one leg to another using an extension cord, and the signal moves with it. Both legs appear to be equivalent in that regard.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

What kind of non-inverting coupler are you getting? Hopefully the PCS on. I think it's the best non-inverting coupler.
        Martin Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          Don,
          Sorry, I missed this. I spoke with SA, and they agree the signal from the inverting coupler is probably being canceled by the firewall and believe a non-inverting coupler will solve the problem. I'm expecting to receive a non-inverting coupler any day now, and will report results after it is installed.
          No problem, Michael. Thanks for the update. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the coupler solves the signal problem and that you don't experience any interference with Compose.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet View Post
            What kind of non-inverting coupler are you getting? Hopefully the PCS on. I think it's the best non-inverting coupler.
            SA is sending me one of their older models. The price is right, but if it doesn't do the job I'll consider the PCS coupler. Maybe Worthington will let me exchange.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

New coupler

Sorry for the delay. SA sent a non-inverting coupler, but it is designed to replace two breakers in my panel. Since I have the wired-in version of the inverting coupler, I could not make an easy substitution. I don't know what led to the misunderstanding.

Anyway, I ordered a PCS PPC-1 passive coupler from Worthington. It arrived yesterday. Aside from being a very strange configuration that doesn't seem to have any relationship to any known junction box design, I was able to substitute it for the SA inverting coupler.

Now I can see devices on both legs of my split phase system. The signal strength is only "good" on the leg that does not include the PIM, but the devices appear to be operating reliably (after a few hours of testing). I'm also paying attention to Compose performance to see if the added coupler creates any problems for the X10 signals. I am particularly concerned that there may be subtle issues that take some time to make their presence known.

It does appear that the Compose firewall interferes with UPB phase coupling. It may be that an active repeater would be more effective, as DC suggested, but I do not intend to test it. I am getting acceptable performance from my system with the passive coupler. If I encounter further problems or learn more I'll post them here.

Comment

Thanks again for the update Michael. Please do share any future problems (or not, hopefully!) that you may find.

Don

Comment

Michael,

Great to hear the new coupler is working for you. Just curious, you say your signal strength is only "good". UPB is very relyable down to 9 on the scale. What strength numbers are you getting in UPStart?

Thanks
                  Dave
                  Last edited by ; May 3, 2008, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I'm seeing signal strength in the range of 8-10, and performance seems very reliable as far as I have been able to determine after just a couple of days.

Comment

BTW, I should also add that I'm seeing essentially no noise. The SA folks thought that might be the result of the interaction between the PIM and the Compose firewall. In any case, it is normally undetectable, which has to be beneficial to reliable performance.

So, if the firewall reduces signal strength on one power leg, but essentially eliminates noise, the potential for peaceful coexistence between UPB and Compse seems quite good. One data point does not make for a very powerful comparison, though, so it will be interesting to see what others find.

Comment

Working...
                      X