UPB device state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB device state

Whenever a UPB switch is turned on or off, HS correctly reflects the device state. However, when a switch is turned on or off by a link activation or deactivation, HS does not show the state change. This is apparently because switches are programmed to "listen" for the link command but HS has no way of knowing which switches respond to which links. HS sees the link activate or deactivate but it doesn't update the state of the individual devices that were affected.

Also, when a switch turns off because of the built-in timer, HS has no way of knowing that.

I can click the "Poll Devices" and HS correctly updates the state of all UPB devices. Is there a way to tell HS to automatically poll all UPB devices every X minutes?

If I'm remembering right in upstart for each device you have to check a setting to tell the switch to report it's current status.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

If I'm remembering right in upstart for each device you have to check a setting to tell the switch to report it's current status.
      If a switch is turned on or off manually, HS knows about it. But it doesn't know which switches were turned on by a link activate.

Comment

I can't say I've seen what you describe, however I'm not sure I have any links that are not managed by HS itself. I use all kinds of links but none strictly switch to switch. All of my links trigger something on the HS machine that in turn triggers the device or event I'm turning on/off.

I suppose it's possible for what you describe to happen if you have a link that simply triggers another UPB device directly without HS intervention. Even so I swear there is a way to have UPB switches report their status no matter how they got turned on. I'm away now so I can't check on my exact setup but I will when i get back, you have my curiosity aroused.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I use links from one device to another a lot, and I am sure that the UPB plugin keeps track of what links affect which devices, and your device status should properly relfect changes made by links within HS.

Where I have a problem, is that I use buttons on HAI keypads to send links, and I'd like to have the button LED indicate the status of the targeted light. Works fine, until something else changes the status of the targeted light (ie, HS or another link), and then the button LEDs get out of sync.

tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

You have to make sure that you always export your configuration from UpStart when finished, and put it on HomeSeer. HomeSeer uses this configuration to convert links to devices. When you generate a link in HomeSeer, it correctly changes the device status. Otherwise, HomeSeer has no idea which switches and devices are contained in which links.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure what is going on. I tested activating a link to turn a bunch of lights on and HS does show them on. HS also shows them off when I deactivate the link. I had not specifically tested this but I know there are times when HS shows a light is on when it's not, and vice versa. I just assumed it was because the light was turned on or off with a link. I'll have to do some more digging to figure out what causes HS to show the incorrect status sometimes.

Thanks.

Comment

Is HS updating the UPB device status when you change it locally by pressing switch?

tenholde
                tenholde

Comment

Yes, that has always worked fine. I'm not sure what causes it but I know for a fact that it happens because I have seen HS show a light on and I thought it should be off so I checked it and sure enough, it was off.

Comment

My problem appears to be that the "Poll UPB devices at startup" option doesn't seem to be working. When I start HS, it appears that my UPB devices show the last state they were in when HS was shut down. If I click "Poll devices" from the devices screen, the status is updated correctly.

Comment

I use that option in my system, and except for the modules that I may have unplugged at the time it seems to be working fine. Are there specific modules that are not updating or all all the modules wrong?

Jon

Originally posted by DC View Post
                      My problem appears to be that the "Poll UPB devices at startup" option doesn't seem to be working. When I start HS, it appears that my UPB devices show the last state they were in when HS was shut down. If I click "Poll devices" from the devices screen, the status is updated correctly.
                      Jon Ort
                      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

I can't say for sure that it's "all" of them but it is several. The last time I restarted HS, I checked all the UPB modules to see if the status was correct. There were some modules that I knew were off when I shut HS down but I had turned on manually while HS was down. Those did not show on after HS came back up. The ones that were on when I shut HS down did still show on. I clicked "Poll devices" and all of the modules updated correctly.

Comment

Working...
                        X