need more buttons!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need more buttons!

I have an 8 button face plate in every room. They buttons are set as follows:

light on/off toggle
    room specific
    music play/pause toggle
    room volume up
    room volume down
    next track
    global volume up
    global volume down

the room specific volume interfaces with the ESS I have, using the JvESS script. My wife has requested a speaker off/speaker on toggle. I don't have any buttons to spare, though, so I was thinking of using conditional events and a 2 button combination. something like:

press volume down button actions:
    volume down incrimentally (like it does now)
    enables another event that is triggered by one of the other buttons
    5 second wait disable other button event again.

Then i just need to build an event that is triggered by the other button, with an action of turning the speaker off. The inverse could be done to turn the speaker on.

Thoughts?
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I've done this with X10, and it works reasonably well. Now that the PowerTrigger plug-in has it built in I use that instead. Unfortunately, it only acts on received X10, I think.

The primary shortcomings I ran into were two:
    1. I either had to remove the first function of the key that activates the second function set, or live with the execution of the first function every time I wanted to access the second function set. (I chose to use all 2-key combinations or none for any given key pad. In practice, I use a 4-key fob that gives me 16 2-key combinations.) [Another strategy, that doesn't appear to be appropriate for your application, is to initiate the second function with a key that has a one-shot action, such as on or off. That way, if the unit is on, use the on key to initiate the second function set. If it's off, use the off key.]
    2. Coming up with a way to label/remember the functions of the key combinations. (I have yet to solve this problem to my satisfaction.)

As an aside, I also found that a 3 second window is about right.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I'll try to impliment some concepts and post some screenshots later today or tomorrow.
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Working...
      X