UPB Plugin doesn't recognize upe file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB Plugin doesn't recognize upe file

I'm using the SA USB UPB interface and I can get everything to work fine with Upstart but the UPB error log in Homeseer tells me something about not finding the file.

I downloaded the UPB Homeseer plugin a couple of months ago but just a couple of days ago enabled it. Could the error have something to do with the trial period? Or could there be something else I need to do. Seems to me from reading threads in this forum that I should be able to make Homeseer work with the USB interface, right?

Check your log for errors during start up. If the trial has expired put in a help desk ticket and we'll get you a new 30 day trial.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Doesn't look like it's a trial period issue

5/27/2009 3:42:31 PM Info Finished initializing plug-in UPB
      5/27/2009 3:42:31 PM Error Initializing interface: UPB->Invalid or non-existant UPStart export file encountered, : System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\HomeSeer' is denied. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileOpen(Int32 FileNumber, String FileName, OpenMode Mode, OpenAccess Access, OpenShare Share, Int32 RecordLength) at HSPI_UPB.HSPI.ReadAndParseUPBExportFile(String& FileName)
      5/27/2009 3:42:31 PM UPB Writing to error log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\Config\UPB Error Report.Log
      5/27/2009 3:42:31 PM UPB ***:Invalid or non-existant UPStart export file encountered, : System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\HomeSeer' is denied. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileOpen(Int32 FileNumber, String FileName, OpenMode Mode, OpenAccess Access, OpenShare Share, Int32 RecordLength) at HSPI_UPB.HSPI.ReadAndParseUPBExportFile(String& FileName)
      5/27/2009 3:42:31 PM UPB Problem with UPB export file record:
      5/27/2009 3:42:29 PM Info Initializing Plug-in: UPB
      5/27/2009 3:42:29 PM UPB RegisterCallback Completed
      5/27/2009 3:42:29 PM Info Interface UPB is running as a trial, 17 days remaining.

Comment

You have exported the upe file from upstart and then told the UBP plug-in where to find it, right?
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I think I'm doing everything right.

The error log:

5/28/2009 7:12:27 AM Error Initializing interface: UPB->Invalid or non-existant UPStart export file encountered, : System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\config' is denied. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileOpen(Int32 FileNumber, String FileName, OpenMode Mode, OpenAccess Access, OpenShare Share, Int32 RecordLength) at HSPI_UPB.HSPI.ReadAndParseUPBExportFile(String& FileName)
          5/28/2009 7:12:27 AM UPB Writing to error log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\Config\UPB Error Report.Log
          5/28/2009 7:12:27 AM UPB ***:Invalid or non-existant UPStart export file encountered, : System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\HomeSeer\config' is denied. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileOpen(Int32 FileNumber, String FileName, OpenMode Mode, OpenAccess Access, OpenShare Share, Int32 RecordLength) at HSPI_UPB.HSPI.ReadAndParseUPBExportFile(String& FileName)

I really don't think this is a Homeseer issue. I did a google search on System.UnauthorizedAccessException and got a bunch of hits but they were all beyond my level of expertise. I installed all of the Windows updates (I'm using XP) and all of the .net fixes but that didn't solve my problem.

Comment

Are you running as an admin when you login to your system?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There errors look to me like they all start with the plug-in not being able to find the exported upe file. Double check your paths and what you've named the file in both upstart and in the UPB plug-in. They would need to match of course.

I've also made the assumption that upstart and HomeSeer are on the same system, perhaps that was incorrect?

I know there were some initial troubles that some had with using the USB CIM but your error isn't about it being unable to find the interface it's about it not finding the upe export file.

and what Rupp said too, I didn't think of that.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

yes

Signed in as admin.

Upstart and Homeseer on the same computer.

Paths are correct...even tried moving the upe download and did cut/paste.

Comment

Does the UPB Error Report.Log give any usefull information?
                  Marty
                  ------

Comment

what version of upstart was your upe file made with?
                    Plugins:
                    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

part of the problem is solved

I guess this should have been obvious but it wasn't to me. I actually put in the name of the file. Homeseer asks for the name of the directory but I added "Homeseer.upe" and problem solved.

Now I'm getting a message "Can not find the UPB PIM. Please check your UPB configuration settings". In the UPB configuration I selected USB.

Comment

Yep, it needs the full path to the file or it finds nothing.

I know some have had troubles with the USB model, especially the initial models. I don't know if it's ever been solved or not. Hopefully another UPB'er will jump in to answer that question. I know that the plug-in specifically gives the USB-PCS choice. I can't say how much, if any, difference there is with the SA branded model.

After choosing the interface and saving the change, I'd be willing to bet it would need a reboot to find it, if you didn't try that already.
                        Marty
                        ------

Comment

It just so happened that I was talking to SA for another matter and they recommend that USB not be used for control from automation controllers and software, more for configuration if it's going to be a stand alone system using timers and schedulers.

Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure but, it's something. Maybe they'll swap it out for you for the serial model.
                          Marty
                          ------

Comment

Thanks for the update. I bought it locally some time ago and just now thought I'd play around with it to make it work. I'll check with them but am not very optimistic. I really appreciate all of the feedback, though.

Comment

SA did not use the same USB controller as the PCS did with their reference design. The SA USB PIM is not compatible with the plug-in at this time.

Jon

Originally posted by joewilly1 View Post
                              Thanks for the update. I bought it locally some time ago and just now thought I'd play around with it to make it work. I'll check with them but am not very optimistic. I really appreciate all of the feedback, though.
                              Jon Ort
                              JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                              (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Working...
                              X