Issue with UPB Plug-In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with UPB Plug-In?

I came across some interesting issues that may have to do with the UPB plug-in. I deployed a plug-in I developed at my dad's house the other day and while testing my plug-in we found out that pressing #7 or #8 on a 8-button keypad the led comes on however homeseer doesn't show its current state (on) - it is always left at off. I disabled my plug-in just to rule it out. It works okay with #1 through #6 at least with all 8-button keypads we tested; I didn't test 6-button keypad. Today, I decided to investigate further at my home and to my surprise homeseer does not report any of the keypad indicator's state. I'm fairly confident at one point it did. I did a couple things including rebooting the machine and none of them worked. Homeseer is able to turn indicator on/off but just doesn't know whether indicator is on/off when pressed at keypad. Homeseer does recognize the links that are being transmitted from keypads.

I didn't add UPB devices all at once - they were added few devices at a time. I changed the logging level to detailed debugging and from what I can gather when UPB plug-in is restarted it polls all devices and it appears all indicators' status are being updated twice.

I can provide the .upe file and work with developer if necessary to get to the root cause.

Ethan

For some reason, homeseer is now reporting the state of the indicators for each keypad except for #7 and #8 on 8-button keypads so we are having the exact same issue we discovered at my dad's house last week. I believe this is a bug with the UPB plug-in - do I need to open a ticket?

Comment

I don't know if it's a bug or not however, I'm using HAI 8 button keypads here and I can't say I notice the issuer you're bringing up, if I understand it correctly. I assume you have something assigned to buttons 7 and 8 for it to report on?
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

We are using PCS 8-button keypads. Yes, we have unique link assigned to each button and when I press one of the first 6 buttons on 8-button keypad the button led comes on and the homeseer would show that the indicator is on which is correct however when I press one of the last 2 buttons the button led comes on homeseer would never report the indicator is on. This issue is happening here at my house as well as at my dad's house.

Do you see that happening with your homeseer?

Comment

I wish I could tell you I did but I don't see what you're talking about. It seems to be working fine here. I use button 8 as a voice mail waiting indicator and they all come on as they should and hitting any one of the keypad 8 buttons turns them off and HS sees it just fine.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Interesting. Homeseer does see links that are being transmitted from keypads but for some reason it does not update #7 and #8 indicators in homeseer. Keypads work fine the led comes on and off when pressed and the links are activated/deactivated. Homeseer sees the links being activated/deactivated -- just not updating the #7 and #8 indicators in homeseer. I can turn the indicators on/off through the homeseer user interface and the keypad indicators are updated accordingly. I'm supposed to set up two houses with UPB and homeseer this month and next month but if we continue to have this issue then we'll have to look at another solution.

I'm curious how many keypads do you have? How many UPB devices? I have 7 keypads and about 40 devices, I think.

Comment

For UPB I have 9 keypads and 81 devices, not including a few I/O units. Hopefully the UPB plug-in author will pop in and maybe he'll be able to shed some light on you're issue. I can't say I've ever used the PCS keypads, makes me wonder if they're just a bit different?
              Marty
              ------

Comment

Indeed. You have far more devices and it is apparent you don't have any issues. Granted, UPB has been rock solid. I developed a plug in that will keep keypad indicators in sync with devices (or links if there's more than one device associated with link). That is how we found out the issue. I don't know if Gen2 is any different than Gen1 - all of my devices are Gen2. One interesting thing I noticed in homeseer 6 button keypads actually have 8 indicators. I think the bright/dim buttons on 6 button keypads shouldn't be counted.

Comment

It sounds like you might have some of the keypads misconfigured in UPStart. UPStart tells the plug-in how many channels there are on each device and what the channels are configured to do. If they build a 100 button device and UPStart supports it - so will the plug-in.

HomeSeer will always see the transmissions no matter what they are from. The question is to what HomeSeer device they should be mapped to.

There is a built-in diagnostic function in the plug-in. Just start HomeSeer, operate the problem function (press the buttons that don't seem to work) and then go to the configuration page and select the generate error report file option.

That file, plus the UPStart export file will have everything needed to see what is going on with the system.

I would first double-check your UPStart settings though, is is very easy to misconfigure the devices and installed face plates.

Jon

Originally posted by els74 View Post
                  Indeed. You have far more devices and it is apparent you don't have any issues. Granted, UPB has been rock solid. I developed a plug in that will keep keypad indicators in sync with devices (or links if there's more than one device associated with link). That is how we found out the issue. I don't know if Gen2 is any different than Gen1 - all of my devices are Gen2. One interesting thing I noticed in homeseer 6 button keypads actually have 8 indicators. I think the bright/dim buttons on 6 button keypads shouldn't be counted.
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                  (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Possibly but I am not entirely convinced that the keypads are misconfigured. I didn't see the "generate error report file" option on the UPB configuration page. Where do I find it?

One thing I'd like to mention I have two keypads set up like a 3-way. When I press a button on one keypad the button led comes on and the other keypad button led comes on as well so I think the keypads are configured correctly. Homeseer just doesn't show the indicator being on.

Lastly, you mentioned faceplates I believe you are referring to SAI modules? We are using PCS keypads.

Comment

After some further testing, I found out the button indicators in homeseer do not get updated consistently (in addition to the issue I mentioned earlier in the thread). The links and devices are updated correctly and consistently though. In upstart, I checked for noise and signal strength - there's no noise in the powerline and the lowest signal strength is 21 (average signal strength is 30-50 for most devices) so I don't think there are any issues with the powerline. I'm not sure if Oman is investigating since I have not heard from him. I could have my plug-in rely on links and devices in homeseer instead of button indicators and sync the state of button indicators with links/devices. I already have the plug-in read UPE file to do the mapping, etc. Ideally, I think UPB plug-in should be updating the button indicators in homeseer.

By the way, I've just read the UPB plug-in doc again and one thing that I'm not certain about is the "LED Tracking" option should be set to on in upstart. I don't see such option and maybe it is referring to the "Receive Components" tab for keypads in upstart?

Comment

I have tested the 8 button PCS keypads that I have here. They work properly. It is possible PCS has a newer version or some type of firmware update, but I can't tell without your diagnostics file. As I said in the previous post, you need to operate the problem buttons on the keypad, then use the "Generate Problem Report" button on the UPB plug-in configuration page. Without the generated file I can't tell anything for sure.

On my UPStart configuration page for the PCS keypad there is an option called "Led Tracking" that can be enabled or disabled. This has to match the option setting in the plug-in or the buttons won't be tracked properly (UPStart does not export the configuration data for the devices so there is no way to determine this automatically)

Jon

Originally posted by els74 View Post
                        After some further testing, I found out the button indicators in homeseer do not get updated consistently (in addition to the issue I mentioned earlier in the thread). The links and devices are updated correctly and consistently though. In upstart, I checked for noise and signal strength - there's no noise in the powerline and the lowest signal strength is 21 (average signal strength is 30-50 for most devices) so I don't think there are any issues with the powerline. I'm not sure if Oman is investigating since I have not heard from him. I could have my plug-in rely on links and devices in homeseer instead of button indicators and sync the state of button indicators with links/devices. I already have the plug-in read UPE file to do the mapping, etc. Ideally, I think UPB plug-in should be updating the button indicators in homeseer.

By the way, I've just read the UPB plug-in doc again and one thing that I'm not certain about is the "LED Tracking" option should be set to on in upstart. I don't see such option and maybe it is referring to the "Receive Components" tab for keypads in upstart?
                        Jon Ort
                        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

As far as your other issue goes, there is a beta version of the UPB plug-in which includes the option to fail (set to unknown) all associated devices when a command fails to transmit. If you would like to test it just PM me a message with an email address that can accept attachments.

Jon

Originally posted by Oman View Post
                          I have tested the 8 button PCS keypads that I have here. They work properly. It is possible PCS has a newer version or some type of firmware update, but I can't tell without your diagnostics file. As I said in the previous post, you need to operate the problem buttons on the keypad, then use the "Generate Problem Report" button on the UPB plug-in configuration page. Without the generated file I can't tell anything for sure.

On my UPStart configuration page for the PCS keypad there is an option called "Led Tracking" that can be enabled or disabled. This has to match the option setting in the plug-in or the buttons won't be tracked properly (UPStart does not export the configuration data for the devices so there is no way to determine this automatically)

Jon
                          Jon Ort
                          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Jon,

What's the version of upstart are you using? The latest version that I know of is 5.1 build 19. I looked at the configuration for keypad in upstart again and there is options tab but it has the option to set brightness level for button LED and enable/disable backlighting. No option for LED tracking.

I went to UPB plug-in configuration page again and I don't see "Generate Problem Report" button. The plug-in version I have is 1.0.2.7, I believe. Probably you mean change the logging level then press the problem button; then send you the log?

Originally posted by Oman View Post

Jon

Comment

Working...
                            X