Simple X10 switch that communicates its status to HS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple X10 switch that communicates its status to HS3

Does anyone have a simple X10 switch, communicating to HS3 and providing its status back to HS3. I have several switchs from X10, but none seem to provide status to HS3 ..

Is this a switch, plugin or other issue

I don't think there are any 'simple' X10 switches that report their status. There are a few high end X10 switches that do, but I'm not sure any of them are still in production, and they were expensive. One way I cheat that issue is to use a keypad or other transmitter to send the X10 signal to the switch instead of using the switch itself, but that isn't convenient in many situations.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

To build on what Uncle Michael said, most X10 brand switches are "one-way" and only receive commands; they cannot transmit their status. Some X10 switches from SmartHome (and others) are 'two-way" and will both receive commands and transmit their status. Almost all of the X10 devices in my system are two-way and work great. HS3 and the X10 plugin can receive these status updates from two-way devices only. What device manufacturer and part number are you referring to when you say 'simple switch'?
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

First thanks to Michael and to msfisher for their responses ..

To msfisher, so there are X10 switches that do relay their status .. so could you tell me what switches do this (if you have the mfg and model that would be appreciated).

Thanks again ..

Don

Comment

May I ask why the interest in using X10 considering it's age and that is has basically been "upgraded" by SmartHome with Insteon? X10 is still in use by lots of people but the protocol itself and control systems are becoming harder and harder to find. If this is an existing installation then I understand, but if this is a "new" install/setup I question going with X10.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
            If this is an existing installation then I understand, but if this is a "new" install/setup I question going with X10.
            I agree. Even if it's an existing installation, I'd consider adding the two-way feature an excellent excuse to begin migrating to a more capable protocol.

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

jeubanks/Michael .. I have an Insteon network as well . .and had replaced the org X10 switch with an Insteon one .. It was highly unreliable .. so I replaced it with another Insteon switch .. and the same thing. The one thing with the X10 was that it worked .. although the Insteon provided 2 way . .they were highly unreliable .. so in my books, in any control network .... reliability is paramount .. thus the question re 2-way X10.

If you have another suggestion (as I do understand your thoughts) .. they are more than well come.

Don

Comment

There was an X10 switch built many years ago that actually transmitted an X10 code with each command. An "on" or "off" transmit different X-10 commands. I use this trigger to instigate a macro in my homrunner system (JDS Technologies product from 8 years ago). This switch still works (for me), but has long been discontinued. Naturally, this switch does require a neutral wire to operate (just like all insteon and zwave switches).

Comment

Here a long time X10 user (from 1978).

On the network and still using are X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee.

Here every year still utilize X-10 for my Christmas stuff. One house code. Test it using an old X10 Palm pad inside and outside of the home.
                  Inside using X10 lamp modules and outdoors using old Black and Decker Freewire modules.

Transition of wall switches was X10 to Insteon to UPB. Converted to Insteon wall switches when first available. Removed all Insteon switches over time converting to UPB.

UPB is powerline on steroids with two way communications plus links. Today it is not as popular as ZWave or Zigbee.

You configure once and never have to touch it and personally here works 100% of the time.

PCS UPB Lighting
                  Simply Automated UPB Lighting
                  Leviton UPB lighting

Currently tinkering these days with WiFi switches upgrading firmware to talk Mosquitto. Works great and is fast.

Looking at new switches with crystal glass touch covers (on and off and dim). They are popular in the EU and now coming to the US. Some now are UL approved.

Here is one for $16 USD. A bit more than the old X10 switches and much less than UPB, ZWave and Zigbee switches.

Click image for larger version  Name:	glass.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	1250167

I have not had any issues with UPB switches in over 10 years of use. (have used PCS, HAI and SA UPB switches).

You can purchase multiple toggle face plates that fit over UPB trancievers for small footprint 1-2-3-4-5-6 decora style toggles.
                  Last edited by Pete; September 28, 2018, 01:58 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by djbeam View Post
                    Does anyone have a simple X10 switch, communicating to HS3 and providing its status back to HS3. I have several switchs from X10, but none seem to provide status to HS3 ..

Is this a switch, plugin or other issue
                    I don't think there are any switches from X10 (the company) that are 2'way. I use SmartHome 2-way devices (in wall and modules) that have worked great for many years. Unfortunately SmartHome no longer manufactures these X10 devices and instead moved to the Insteon protocol. You might be able to find used 2-way SmartHome devices on ebay or Craig's List.

Otherwise you should really be looking at a newer protocol as others have suggested.
                    Best regards,
                    -Mark-

Comment

Hey Pete, which WiFi wall switch is pictured in your post above?
                      Best regards,
                      -Mark-

Comment

mfisher

Just whatever I searched on Ebay. Thinking they are all the same and most likely utilize an ESPXXXX now. Leviton sells their own WiFi switch now and many of the major players. The cheapo ones are coming from China. They all are preconfigured to talk to the cloud and a cloud service. IE: Leviton switch talks to the Leviton cloud and you configure it with your smart phone.

The UL approved WiFi switches being sold here by Leviton are more expensive that the non UL approved stuff from China.

The ESPXXXX part and typical JTAG ports or traces let you hardware modify the ESPXXXX with firmware for anything you want not related to the cloud. Mosquitto is just one option. There is a web gui for the updated firmware and you can control the switch via HTML commands.

Playing with one swith now wifi firmware upgrades that allow switching at 120VAC or 12VDC, has a static IP configuration, secure access to web interface. Only thing is that it doesn't do dimming. I have read of newer WiFi switches that allow dimming via the decora toggle or glass touch.

Somebody is already working on an Arduino IDE which talks X10 2 way which would be an optimal upgrade to a legacy X10 switch.

Imagine a modular espXXXX switch with X10, Insteon, ZWave, Zigbee or UPB modules, static IP, telnet capability et al.

Unrelated .....Googling yesterday found a combo X10, Insteon and Zigbee stick controller which uses that USB to 3 serial ports much like a few new products that I have seen. Looks a lot like the serial Insteon PLM except that it has separate serial controllers for X10, Insteon and Zigbee. Amazing product except that it goes for $90.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                        X