X 10 virtual device setup // specific codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X 10 virtual device setup // specific codes

I'm new to HS3, and am transferring an entire event schedule containing many X-10 devices. The old system is a "JDS Homerunner," and has been operational for many years. I need to update to HS3 to gain access to all of its capabilities.
    My question is in creating virtual devices representing specific X-10 sequences, especially coming from a "Universal Module." That device transmits X-10 codes in response to a relay closing (in my case it's from a light level change from a photocell module sensing outside light (near sunset)). How do I create a virtual device that recognizes: E All Lights On This is the only code string from the universal module when the relay is closed. Other transmitters transmit sequences such as A10 ON with a single button push. IR to X-10 modules are also utilized in my home as home control event triggers from IR remote controls.
    Thanks in advance for your input. My Homeseer is an S6 Pro and my home system is an Area 51 Dell / Windows 10pro. The X-10 / Insteon hardware interface is a 2413U USB Modem.

Not sure exactly what you want to do but just create your virtual device then create an event based on the status of your Device. Say your Virtual device was called Nightime. Now create an event that will turn on light A1 if Nightime status changes to On

You can see the relaTionships between Events and Virtual devices.

Comment

Originally posted by P Dawson View Post
      How do I create a virtual device that recognizes: E All Lights On This is the only code string from the universal module when the relay is closed.
      I think you will need to create an event with the 'Received X10' trigger and use that to turn on the virtual device. I do not think there is a way to have a device respond directly to that sequence. (Be sure to install the latest Beta version of the X10 plug-in.) Click image for larger version

Name:	RecX10.PNG
Views:	202
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	1248436

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

In X10 parlance, the "All Units Off", "All Lights On" or "All Lights Off" commands control all of the devices on a particular housecode. So if you have physical devices E1, E3, E14 and E16 plugged in to your power line and your Universal module is triggered, then these 4 devices on housecode E will be turned on or off.

The same is true in HS3. In your instance, just create an HS3 X10 device using a housecode of E and when the plugin receives an "All..." command it will change the status of all of HS3 X10 devices on housecode E accordingly.

Please note that you must create new X10 devices as shown in the post linked below, otherwise your HS3 X10 devices will not work. And be sure to install the latest beta as Uncle Michael stated.
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Thanks very much Mark for this advice / instruction. Unfortunately, I've had a complete failure connecting my PC to the S6 hometroller and neither I nor the HS tech support team can figure out what's wrong. My PC (Dell Area 51) can "see" the hometroller, but will not connect to it. We tried using different ports (from within the win7 software internal to the S6) and all firewall / antivirus software was turned off in the Dell. HS tech folks could connect with my S6 with no problems. Any ideas?? I'd like to start over, but have sent the hardware back until I get some ideas.
          Peter

Comment

I really don't understand what you mean by My PC (Dell Area 51) can "see" the hometroller, but will not connect to it. Are you saying you can ping the S6 from your Dell over your network but cannot get the S6 to serve up a web page? HS Support is in a much better position to assist you with this issue, especially since I don't have an S6.

I just noticed in your first post that you are using a SmartHome 2413U USB Insteon/X10 interface, and I am assuming you were connecting it to your S6. Please note that the HomeSeer X10 plugin does not support the 2413U interface, and you will need to use a plugin that supports this interface. While I see there are 3 Insteon plugins available for HS3, I am not familiar with any of them and cannot provide any guidance. You should probably check out the two supported Insteon plugins and verify whether they support that interface.

Sorry for missing this important item earlier.
            Best regards,
            -Mark-

Comment

Mark,
              Thanks very much for the help on X-10 issues. I understand from HS tech support that the HS plug-in will not support X10 through the 2413U. Instead, the insteon (pay for) plug in will however. The network issue is a problem for general discussion, and I'll need to get some network folks involved as the HS technical support staff are not communications experts.
              Thanks again Mark,
              Peter

Comment

Mark,
                As stated earlier, I have been doing the complete migration to HS from an older hub, and using your plug-in for about 2 months. I've found it extremely capable and stable during all facets of controlling both insteon and X-10 devices. Like most of us that have tinkered in home control for many years, I still have an entire crop of X-10 "stuff" kicking around the house.
                I was using an old JDS Homerunner (follow-on to Stargate) hub, and that had extensive X-10 capabilities. Since most of my house is without neutral wires, I'm really tied to 2-wire switches and modules which is a significant problem as you know. Almost all of my wall switches with only a few exceptions are 2-wire leviton X-10 dimmers and I count on the dimming function to work properly. Most of these switches are not pre-set dim capable. I've had to use all kinds of bridges and extension cords to attain a decent communication PLC network around my house which almost burned my house down years ago.
                Several of my modules simply will not tolerate a "set dim level" to XX%, but instead go off or do not react at all. The JDS hub had an option to send singular "bright" or "dim" commands which could be strung together to attain an exact level of brightness. By simply turning on the lamp 100%, delaying a second, then sending several singular commands, the desired result was achieved.
                Can your plug-in perform this action even with some type of work-around? Also, I have yet to find a method of controlling Homeseer via your plugin by using an X-10 transmitter (16 button box with simple command buttons). Is there something I'm missing here?
                Thanks for your help,
                Peter Dawson

Comment

Yikes, almost burning down the house to get a good X10 signal is a bit extreme!

When dimming standard X10 devices the X10 plugin does what you state depending on the current HS3 state of the device. If the device is already on then it will send BRT commands to bring the device to full ON, then send DIM commands to set the proper level. If the device is OFF in HS3 then the plugin sends an ON to the device followed by a string of DIM commands.

It sounds to me like you have a challenging X10 environment with a lot of noise, which has required the use of the JDS workaround. Have you ever used an X10 powerline analyzer to determine the noise levels around your home and then install X10 noise filters on the all of the offending devices that are plugged in? I used to struggle with X10 reliability until I installed noise filters for every electronic device (TVs, computers, UPSs, cellphone/tablet chargers, microwave, refrigerator, fluorescent lights, garage door opener, etc.). Rule of thumb: if it isn't an incandescent light bulb it goes behind a filter. Once I did this my noise levels dropped to 6mV on average and my reliability has been pretty much rock-solid.

If you've done this and still need to slow down the transmissions to these dimmers, you can accomplish this by writing a script to "drip" the commands to the device. The X10 plugin still supports the ExecX10() function although calling it in HS3 is a little different than in HS2. See this post for details on calling ExecX10(): https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...-from-a-script

Regarding how to have HS3 react to received X10 data, this is done in an HS3 event by selecting IF "X10: Receive X10 Command" as a trigger then selecting the X10 trigger and other specifics.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

Comment

Thanks very much Mark. As you did, I truly struggled with PLC protocol "in the old days" when X10 first hit the streets. Noise was unknown back then to the average user, and simply returning the system to Radio Shack was the fix. As the problems migrated toward DIY users like me, I began troubleshooting using an O-scope to actually view all the noise blanketing 120V household wiring. Also, like you, all noise-infecting devices (anything but incandescent light bulbs) were tested for destructive noise.
                    Filters and 120V phase bridges/couplers were used to increase S/N ratio in the X10 bands (thus some scary arcing and serious sparks in the basement when not paying enough attention).
                    Getting to desired dim levels in a couple of wall switches seems to affect my older (non pre-set dim-level capable) devices. Some of the modules work, but others don't. I have now installed some 2-wire insteon switches, but these are expensive and don't offer any 3-way capability.
                    I'll look at writing scripts (which I've never done thus a good challenge). Are there any decent documents outlining programming (script) for HS3? Also will some tinkering with old X-10 control boxes but these too are antiques.
                    Again, Thanks as always,
                    --Peter--

Comment

Mark,
                      Follow-on. I did some tinkering using your description of actual X-10 sequences being sent from HS3. The key (as I learned from you) is that HS3 absolutely needs to know the status of the specific X10 device before any desired end-results will occur. Using some tests on a module, I found that first sending an "Off" command, then an "On" command, waiting for 2 seconds, then sending a "dim" command to any level will work. I'd still like to learn some scripting procedures using any available documentation.
                      Happy holidays,
                      --Peter--

Comment

HS3 help includes documentation on the scripting functions and while it is not a "how-to" guide it does provide examples for many of the calls. VB.net and C# are the two most popular programming languages supported by HS, and you can write simple scripts using the HS event editor. There are many free programming-centric text editors available on the 'net and in the end you're just creating a text file for HS not compiling code. I use a programming text editor called ConText for scripts and VisualStudio for plugins. There is a forum on the board for scripts and plugins that will be very helpful: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...in-development

Happy Holidays!
                        Best regards,
                        -Mark-

Comment

Thanks very much Mark. I'll do some digging and studying, as this is the type of challenge that leads to helpful results (typically well worth the effort).
                          Merry Christmas,
                          --Peter--

Comment

Working...
                          X