Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still using X10 and what are your plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post

Until the internet goes down!
    These do no require the internet to be up to work within your LAN. In addition my internet hasn't gone down in years. This is a good side affect of living in a technical town with 4 internet providers
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      These do no require the internet to be up to work within your LAN. In addition my internet hasn't gone down in years. This is a good side affect of living in a technical town with 4 internet providers
      lucky.. ive got the monopolized xfinity here but house im looking at saturday has xfinity and verizon fios !!!!
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

lucky.. ive got the monopolized xfinity here but house im looking at saturday has xfinity and verizon fios !!!!
        We are so lucky, we have WOW/Knology, Mediacom, AT&T Fiber, and just got Google Fiber. I'm with WOW but considering the switch to Google Fiber.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          So is there a cloud component then with these? What's it's purpose?
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes here have two ISP connections only used for fail-over. I can add or switch ISPs whenever as long as I own my equipment.

In Fl used Verizon Fiber when first introduced and left Comcast. I was fine with it until Verizon sold all of the accounts to Frontier. All that Frontier did was try to sell me on newer services and replace my working equipment. I filed a complaint with the FL State Attorney's office (slamming). Frontier after my internet went down for 2 days. After 4 days the internet was back up and I cancelled all relating to Frontier and went back to Comcast. This put a sour taste having never to want to deal with Frontier wherever and whenever.

Personally if the device has a cloud component for whatever reason then you are using the cloud. There are devices that you can configure in the cloud then talk to them directly via the LAN.

All of the new WiFi devices with whatever vendor's firmware depends on their said iOT cloud. The only way to get around this is to rewrite the firmware so that the transport never leaves the home.

Way long time ago with the introduction of the Almond Plus (Securifi) it was requested that the devices all work without the cloud. They did fulfull that promise.

This is the reason why I got rid of my Ring Doorbell and switches over to the OEM HikVision doorbell.

So I am always connected; BUT that said I do not want to depend on the cloud for any of my automation. So I take and never give back; that is me.

- Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
            HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
            HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

This is the reason why I got rid of my Ring Doorbell and switches over to the OEM HikVision doorbell.

I too choose to not be engulfed in the "Cloud" pieces...
              I wont go nest cctv, or any of them and run my own.

what model doorbell cam did you go with? im thinkin of one...
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

Not to get into a political discussion here (and taking this thread further away from its original intent :-D ), but didn't the US Government not recently add Hikvision to a black list primarily over using political prisoners to build their cameras?
                HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

what model doorbell cam did you go with? im thinkin of one...

Hikvision unlabeled OEM from a security company. (Nelly's security)

It is also sold by RCA and other companies here in the US.

Check out ipcamtalk dot com

- Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                  HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                  HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Not to get into a political discussion here (and taking this thread further away from its original intent :-D ), but didn't the US Government not recently add Hikvision to a black list primarily over using political prisoners to build their cameras?

The ban directly impacts federal government agencies plus those organizations using federal money (grants or loans).

There is a second element of the ban (technically NDAA 889) that would effectively blacklist any company who sold or used Dahua, Hikvision or Huawei from selling to the federal government at all. This is scheduled to take effect August 2020 but the White House just asked Congress to delay this to August 2022 (see White House Letter)

For US people buying Dahua and Hikvision, they can still buy Dahua and Hikvision. The transactions carry a 'red flag' but are not banned. There will be indirect impacts as various partnerships will be reevaluated.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

Back to the original topic question...

I had a very extensive X10 installation that worked quite well. But now I have switched completely to Insteon - 139 insteon devices and adding more all the time. The reliability and features of Insteon leave X10 in the dust. They use the same basic PLC technology as X10, but MUCH faster. Many of the devices are "Dual-Band" which means they talk both PLC and RF. Each device acts as a message repeater, so a remote PLC device's message can be picked up by a nearby Dual-band device and it will be re-transmitted on PLC and RF into the network, thereby upping the chance of it getting to destination. All messages are two-way so if it doesn't get through, the device knows to send it again. Messages are also error-checked, so the old X10 issue of the wrong device responding to a weak transmission is eliminated. With X10, the more devices you added, the more problems you got with line loading, messages crashes, etc. With Insteon, the more devices you add, the more message repeaters there are to make sure every message gets through. Every dual-band device acts as a phase coupler so that old X10 issue is a thing of the past.

Dual-band lets you get away with an imperfect network since it can get around PLC noise or signal loads via the RF path. Likewise, if there is a location with noisy RF, the message can travel via PLC. But for those of us who like things to WORK perfectly every time (I think that covers all of us X10 fans), Insteon works really well. Insteon really conglomerates the best of X10 (simplicity), UPB (PLC path with 2-way and error checking) and Z-wave (RF path) into one product with all three advantages.

Insteon is nice for X10 users because we already know how to make a strong PLC network and you can convert to Insteon in a modular way as time and funds permit. They co-habitate reasonably well because Insteon devices recognize and do not step on X10 messages. However, X10 devices can step on Insteon messages, but Insteon will retransmit if it happens. X10 filters work just fine for Insteon, so you don't need to replace those. Insteon FilterLincs work just fine for X10, so one device solves noise/load problems for both protocols. Any PLC noise/loading issues you fixed in your X10 installation are already fixed for Insteon.

Mark Sandler is the developer of the Insteon Plug-In for HS. It works with both X10 and Insteon. It is FULL-featured with lots of features and built-in tools so you don't have to do all the button pushing laid out in the device Insteon instruction booklets. He is super responsive to questions, bugs or new feature requests. The software world should take a lesson from him on how to look after users.

In my opinion, if you like X10, but want a much faster, more reliable, feature-rich system, Insteon is the proper answer.

PS. I have nothing to do with Insteon or Smarthome. I'm just a satisfied user of their products...
                      Last edited by Burrington; December 5, 2019, 07:43 PM. Reason: Clarified a some things and fixed a couple typos...

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post
                        Great post!

Comment

In December of 2019, I bought HS3 with an upgrade to HS4. I bought HS3 because the pushed messages used in my current software, "Active Home Vista", no longer work properly with the new Android phone software. The guy who wrote AHV software no longer supports it so this forced the change to HS3. I have an X10 application that requires up to 16 contact closure inputs on one module. So far I have not been able to find anything, reasonably priced, that does that with a Z-Wave or Insteon module. My current X10 contact closure input device is a modified, "Pro Powerflash Interface". Surprise, after buying HS3 with an HS4 upgrade, apparently HS4 will not support X10 either!! Why would HS choose to deliberately abandon so many users who still use X10 devices especially when some devices have no good alternative? Is there a reasonably priced Insteon or Z-Wave device that will accept at least 4 contact closure inputs?

Comment

Originally posted by FlymIfYouGotm View Post
                            In December of 2019, I bought HS3 with an upgrade to HS4. I bought HS3 because the pushed messages used in my current software, "Active Home Vista", no longer work properly with the new Android phone software. The guy who wrote AHV software no longer supports it so this forced the change to HS3. I have an X10 application that requires up to 16 contact closure inputs on one module. So far I have not been able to find anything, reasonably priced, that does that with a Z-Wave or Insteon module. My current X10 contact closure input device is a modified, "Pro Powerflash Interface". Surprise, after buying HS3 with an HS4 upgrade, apparently HS4 will not support X10 either!! Why would HS choose to deliberately abandon so many users who still use X10 devices especially when some devices have no good alternative? Is there a reasonably priced Insteon or Z-Wave device that will accept at least 4 contact closure inputs?
                            Not correct, the developer that supports the X10 plugin is actively supporting it and he's working with HST to make sure it works under HS4... There are other options besides zwave or insteon for multiple contact closures. What are you switching with it, and what voltage/current draw does it need to be able to switch.
                            HS 3.0.0.548: 1990 Devices 1172 Events
                            Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 126 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

sparkman Thanks for fielding this!

Yes, the X10 plugins are being actively supported by mfisher - not by HST!

Please see these 2 threads:
                              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...gins-under-hs4
                              https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...eases?t=185551
                              Best regards,
                              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

[QUOTE=sparkman;n1371984]

"Not correct, the developer that supports the X10 plugin is actively supporting it and he's working with HST to make sure it works under HS4".

I hope you are correct on that one because the last thing I saw online was that the X10 Plugins will no longer work with HS4. I have also seen info on HS sites that the X10 HS Plugin developer support into the future was limited and seemed to be fading fast. The application I have uses 5V logic level control. Currently I feed 4 opto isolators mounted inside of the "PowerFlash Interface" box with a 5 logic level signal. Basically, I set a fixed "House Code" on the "PowerFlash Interface" and the isolators switch the 4 logic lines on the unit selector switch to select 1 of 16 unit codes. The unit code, through HS software, latches "On" one of up to 16 dummy appliance modules to indicate reception of an alarm. The user manually resets the alarm after it is attended to by turning off the dummy appliance module. I use this to remotely monitor my mailbox, 3 doorbells and a remote shed door using a wireless Honeywell Doorbell System. https://www.honeywellhome.com/en/pro...nes-led-strobe I have written an entire, "How To" article if there is any interest. What are some of the possible alternative input modules you mentioned that would be useful for this application?

Comment

Working...
                                X