Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still using X10 and what are your plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have ditched the X10 RF controllers and receivers and have probably 50:50 X10 and Z Wave. At the moment there are certain situations where I would like to continue with some X10. devices

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
      There are 3 different "X10" plugins that were provided by HST for HS3: "X10" for the CM11a and Act Ti103 (and compatible devices), CM15A for Windows and CM15A for Linux. While I did not write these I have been supporting them for several years, and as of Feb2020 HST has officially transferred them to me. The code for all 3 of these plugins is quite different and each plugin stores device and event info differently in HS, which means that it is not currently possible to switch between the plugins without recreating each device and event.

Let me give this some thought, perhaps there's some way to make this possible...

Mark, I don't know about the internals of HomeSeer X10 but I do know that with ActiveHome Vista the only thing that is required to switch from a CM11A to a CM15A controller is to download and install the ahsdk_install.exe package. All of your existing programs, interlocks and device definitions remain intact. Once you have downloaded the sdk package you can routinely switch back and forth to any controller with just a couple of mouse clicks. Pretty painless. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by FlymIfYouGotm View Post

Mark, I don't know about the internals of HomeSeer X10 but I do know that with ActiveHome Vista the only thing that is required to switch from a CM11A to a CM15A controller is to download and install the ahsdk_install.exe package. All of your existing programs, interlocks and device definitions remain intact. Once you have downloaded the sdk package you can routinely switch back and forth to any controller with just a couple of mouse clicks. Pretty painless. Thanks for the info.
        Yes, I am quite familiar with ActiveHome and understand how to simple it is to switch between interfaces. As I mentioned previously the issue at hand is that each of the X10 plugins is based on completely different code by different authors and they each decided to store the device and event data very differently. This means that I'll have to craft special code to translate between the different ways of storing the data, and this will be no small undertaking.

I will give this some attention when I'm able to see if there's a shortcut I can take to make something quick-n-dirty for you. But if I have to write a translator I'm sorry to say that it will be a while before I'll have any bandwidth for the effort.
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I moved 100% of my switching to UPB years ago (maybe 10+) but still have Palm Pads in each room for those times when Google and HST refuse to talk to each other. I use BLRF to get the W800 signals into Homeseer.

Comment

Interesting thread.
            about the same scenario as Rupp; had been using X10 for quite a while and had figured out how to compensate it's weaknesses:
            lots of filters, phase 1-2 link, etc. Hours of troubleshooting with M Fischer. etc. (Thanks Mark ) But got tired of not getting status feedback from the devices + issue where plugging in one new device (tv, laptop, Dc power supplies, etc.)
            Would suck up signal and half the devices quit working (and there goes another filter).

Therefore I have recently switched to wifi / Esp8266 devices + Tasmota ( about 60 switches and dimmers, rgb controllers, modules, bulbs, etc.) + 433Mhz for all sensors (motion, doors, temperature, etc. Linked via Tasmota and OpenMQTTgateway). Everything perfect so far.

Only remaining X10 devices in my setup are my 240v receptacles as I couldnt find any (North American 2phase ) 240v wifi alternative. If anyone has found something of that nature please let me know as I'm still looking.

​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

I have ditched the X10 RF controllers and receivers and have probably 50:50 X10 and Z Wave. At the moment there are certain situations where I would like to continue with some X10. devices

Here went from in wall X10 switches to Insteon to UPB many many years ago.

My current OmniPro 2 panel talks X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee. Homeseer talks X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee and now MQTT to modded WiFi switches.

Landscaping lighting here used to have 4 large toroidal landscaping transformers that were switched by X10 (nothing else worked). Switched over to using multiple dual DC transformers for LED lighting and switched to one UPB switch for some 5-6 dual 12VDC transformers.

I have kept the Christmas lighting at X10 and last year purchased a few extra Black and Decker Free wire outdoor switches. I like all of the lighting remaining at one house code.

I use an old palm pad / W800 outside and turn all of the lights on at once to check lighting. Will be staying here with X10 for this purpose.

So relating to lighting automation here:

1 - use UPB multiple toggle / dual load switches these days reducing footprints of the light switches
              2 - use X10 for Christmas Lighting with Black and Decker Free wire outdoor switches and Wireless W800 to check (also used wireless X10 to test irrigation system outdoors).
              3 - still in test modes for ZWave and Zigbee only
              4 - new testing of modded with firmware WiFi devices that can work independant or dependant on MQTT.

All environmental sensors are wired or hybrid wireless today.

IE: all alarm sensors are wired. Temperature / Humidity sensors are wired to the OmniPro panel and used to be 1-Wire in a star configuration. Switched these over to a hub and spoke hybrid MQTT setup.

- Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have not found a better solution for motion sensors (at a reasonable price).
                Currently about 30% of all my devices are X10 motion sensors. I find them very reliable and the batteries last well over 12 months.

All my lights switches insteon.

I am investigating replacing some of the insteon light switches with Tuya wifi ones as they are so cheap.

Comment

Tinkering here with Gosund dimmer switches ==> hxxps://forums.homeseer.com/forum/lighting-primary-technology-plug-ins/lighting-primary-technology-discussion/mcsmqtt-michael-mcsharry/1396711-gosund-wifi-dimmer-switches-on-sale-on-amazon

This is my first attempt at upgrading an in wall WiFi switch. Works nicely with Tasmota and a Gosund dimmer template / script.

- Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Aussie Mate : check these out:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6caMUE
                    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
                      Aussie Mate : check these out:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6caMUE
                      ​​​​​​​
                      thanks for this - it's not clear how they would interface into HS..
                      what plugin can they be used with ?

this may be an option if the x10 MS stop working.. but as they say - "if it's working well - dont touch it..."

Comment

You just need the Receiver :

https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf8tvSYj
                        ​​​​​(Tasmota or OMG flashed)

+MCSMQTT plugin

​​​​Works perfectly.

I use the same receiver for my other sensors:
                        door/windows, water leak , temperature, humidity, etc.

I can assist if needed.
                        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Well, I may have figured out a good replacement for my modified X-10 PSC01 Powerflash Burglar Alarm Interface. My modified PSC01 allows up to 16 inputs v/s just one that the off the shelf model allows. It turns out I don't need an additional alarm panel or anything like that. Thanks to HS4 plugins for Raspberry Pi and Arduino SBC's, you can get lots of IO's for a low cost. If you are running HS4 on a Raspberry Pi you already have lots of IO's available with the addition of the "Spud RaspberryIO" plugin! All I need to do is to use a hand full of, "ILD74 Opto-isolators" between the box I designed and my HomeTroller Z2 Raspberry Pi, add the Spud plugin and it's off to the races. The only additional hardware I will need will be a few current limiting resistors and opto-isolators. If you have a need for lots of very inexpensive IO's, it looks like the Raspberry Pi and/or an Arduino with Greg Dempster's, "Arduino Software Plugin for HS3" could be a low cost solution.

Comment

I am cleaning out my storage room and decided to have a second look at the X10 stuff. I have a couple Eagle Eye sensors but my WS800 receiver stopped working a while ago, so I had put them away. Was considering the RFXCOM unit originally but unless I can pick up an inexpensive one, I do not currently see the need. That said, perhaps I can build my own with an Arduino? Anyway I installed the X10 plugin, put the CM11A on the HomeSeer computer, plugged a TM751 Transceiver in, and the Eagle Eyes are reporting motion. I forgot I could use the TM751, or that I even HAD it. I believe there may have been range issues with the TM751, but I could easily work within that. The one Eagle Eye I have is on house code A3 for motion and not reporting lighting level changes on A4 but I have motion. So I am investigating the light level bit and may put these to use. I also have some door sensors, a few lamp modules and a tester, but may get rid of those. I am not too interested in revisiting the X10 Fun they introduce.
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events
                            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

im still using x10 and wont be getting rid of it anytime soon. it just works for me...
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

PLEASE......NEVER get rid of x10 support.....the installed base is too large....the components dont all have equivalent products in the other formats....and they are cheap and effective....it seems you are leaning on one guy to support this HUGE segment of users of x10 which i think is stupid on hs end....the support is excellent but if it stops, i for one will ditch HS in a heatbeat....

Comment

Working...
                                X