Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still using X10 and what are your plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is still using X10 and what are your plans?

Just curious what the HS community's status is on X10. Please vote if so inclined and feel free to discuss below. Thanks!

PS. This includes X10 security devices like the DS10A and others.
    I am 100% X10 hardware with no plans to change, EVER!
    7.79%
    I am 100% X10 and am planing on converting
    2.60%
    I still have X10 but in the process of converting
    11.69%
    Got a couple of X10 devices left
    36.36%
    Have converted 100%.
    14.29%
    What is X10???
    1.30%
    Have 0% X10 but planning on adding it.
    1.30%
    Lots of X10 devices (not 100% of devices) and NO plans to change.
    24.68%

Add another choice: Lots of X10 devices (not 100% of devices) and NO plans to change.
    "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

The poll options don’t quite fit my scenario. I have a few powerline x10 devices left and plan to get rid of those over the next few months. On the x10 RF side, I mainly have motion sensors, a few ds10a’s and remotes left. No immediate plans to convert those, but may do so over the next few years or as they fail (although I have a number of spares). The main advantage of them is the incredible battery life, but other than that, I prefer the zwave and zigbee options that now exist.
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I've replaced all of my X10 lamp/appliance modules with the new affordable Wifi modules and I really like these and they are inexpensive.
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Here continue to utilize X10 for my Christmas decorations after testing UPB, ZWave and Zigbee.

I also utilize wireless X10 to test with wireless PIRs and other wireless X10 devices. Mostly because it is cheap and easy to test.

UPB and X10 have worked fine at 100%. I have test ZWave / Zigbee AC modules working at 100%. Wireless Zigbee is 100% today.

New here is firmware updated (Tasmota / Espurna) WiFi MQTT devices.

These are configured to be cloudless and each run a tiny OS with a web browser.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Why are you asking this? Curious why you are seeking this information? Are you asking for yourself, or HomeSeer Technologies?
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
              Why are you asking this? Curious why you are seeking this information? Are you asking for yourself, or HomeSeer Technologies?
              As far as HSTech is concerned, X10 is a legacy technology and shifted the X10 plugin to a 3rd party a few years back. That still doesn't change the fact that anyone can develop their own plugin if they want/need this ability just like any other technology if the existing plugin support is dropped.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If my rf unit didn't stop working I would still be using x10 motion sensors. The eagle eye units, I think they were. I have a cm11a and a couple plugin modules but they are all disconnected. Although maybe I should use them for holiday items. Hmm... 🤔
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Globally there are still millions of X10 users / devices out there in internetlandia. That said HS4 should support X10 by default.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Here I still use DS10's which never seem to die, a couple of motion detectors and a handful of X-10 appliance/lamp modules with TI103. For their specific application - where speed doesn't matter, they continue to work fine. I mainly have Z-wave for most other things while less than 10 ZigBee devices. I hope HS4 continues with X-10 as well.
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I'm with Pete. Z-wave and WiFi for important stuff, X10 for the holiday decorations. Thirty-one modules controlling sixty-seven candles in the windows. Another +/- twenty-five modules for miscellaneous outside/inside decorations. When I'm all done, unplug them and throw them in a box until next time. Easy-peasy to setup.

If I was starting from scratch I wouldn't touch X10 with remote control drone. As I've been running X10 since the 80's and have 60+ modules, there's no reason to change.
                      My system is described in my profile.

Comment

I've been slowing replacing X-10 for lighting as the switches die, but I've not found anything better or easier for appliance modules in my outbuildings (barn and pump house). I've added Ethernet via radio (Ubiquiti) technology to those buildings and may go to WiFi or ZWave technology at some point. However the X-10 technology has been working for 30 years without issues. I have not had luck with ZWave over any distance and have to run multiple Z-Nets I tried for years to run ZNet in a garage 100' from the house and it never worked.

I know I have been lucky with X-10 because I've had very few issues. I did have all the equipment in the old days to trace noise problems, but perhaps because I live in a remote area, I just didn't have a lot of issues. I agree with Pete that X-10 should have remained as part of HS3. I also have not had any issue with the PI, but did worried when X-10 didn't show up under any of the technologies to be supported under HS4.

Barry

Comment

im slowly replacing my x10 23890w togglelinc switches as they die.. but ive still got 4 that look like they will work forever...

I am still using, and expect to keep using, ds10a as they just work. same as ms13a.

ive got ds10a to floats in my sump pump... on my garage doors to a merc switch.... do just doors...
                          19 ms13a around....

lamp/appliance im switching to outlets.

im looking at moving. I want a new house and will have some of this working on paper for people looking at the house. give them commands to have google do stuff... if house sells..ill leave the switches but ďs10a and ms13a come with me...

bit of x10 for life here
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

They’re not cool, they’re not funky but like an old pair of slippers they do the job and never go out of fashion.

We are entering the seventh decade of X10 and it’s still alive and kicking and doing a great job for me.

It’s seen off many other technologies on its long and steady journey. It will possibly see off many of today’s competitors so unless they find an alternative way to deliver electricity it could well see me off too 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              I've replaced all of my X10 lamp/appliance modules with the new affordable Wifi modules and I really like these and they are inexpensive.
                              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              Rupp, how are you controlling these devices?

I have been thinking about getting WiFi controlled devices. It seems there are several plugins from third party devs that claim to control WiFi devices. How does one know which plugin supports which device?

Comment

Working...
                              X