X10 RF transceiver question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 RF transceiver question

I know little about X10 as my only experience was several EagleEye MS14A motions used in conjunction with a few Bayweb HVAC controllers years ago. The Baywebs are long gone but still have the motion sensors and will make use of them if it can be done inexpensively. They always seemed responsive and reliable.

Based on reading through a number of threads, it appears the RFXCOM and W800 series transceivers are my options, and each starts in the $80-$100 range new. Are there any lower-cost options I'm missing? Checking the For Sale subforum from time to time for a used unit.

Appreciate any advice.
    -Wade

Both are well worth it if you already have the MS14/16 motion sensors (DS10's and/or Palmpad remotes) on hand. Conversely, a single Z-Wave motion sensor runs in the $40+ range.
    I still use all three of the above and am very happy with their performance with either the RFXCOM or W800 receivers using the RFXCOM plugin which simultaneously supports multiple receivers and a range of other RF devices.

Edit: If you have a CM15A X10 transceiver I believe you could use that as well to handle the MS14s, although from experience it won't be quite so reliable.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

im using the w800 here with BLRF and works great. IF you have those X10 receivers.. you could put them in near the motion sensors and wouldn't need any additional devices.
      maybe someone will have one they will get rid of and post in here...
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have 6 MS14 motion sensors. I'll keep watching for a transceiver to hit the for sale forum.

Related question. Is it reasonable to assume I'll be able to attach the transceiver to an rpi and remotely connect to HS via ser2net? I have a Smartstick connected that way now and would add RF there.
        -Wade

Comment

You could also try looking for a CM19a or CM26a, but you'll want to modify these to add an external antenna. I modded and used a CM26a for many years but finally switched to a W800 and have never looked back. I understand the RFXCOM works great as well.
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
          Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
            You could also try looking for a CM19a or CM26a, but you'll want to modify these to add an external antenna. I modded and used a CM26a for many years but finally switched to a W800 and have never looked back. I understand the RFXCOM works great as well.
            Thanks for the reply. The CM19A was my initial plan given it's $18 from Amazon, but searching turned up only very old threads--mostly about issues with it--and I had the impression it wasn't supported. Which plugin would I need? I'm seeing the CM15A PI but not CM19A.

Thanks.
            -Wade

Comment

Actually now that you mention this I don't know of any RF plugins that support these. On HS2 I used the ACRF plugin for my CM26a but this is not available for HS3. BLRF only supports the RFXCOM and W800 interfaces.
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
                Thanks for the feedback. I have 6 MS14 motion sensors. I'll keep watching for a transceiver to hit the for sale forum.

Related question. Is it reasonable to assume I'll be able to attach the transceiver to an rpi and remotely connect to HS via ser2net? I have a Smartstick connected that way now and would add RF there.
                I've got a new CM15 currently listed on eBay, PM me and I'll cut you a better price that what I've got it listed for.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMcM1956 View Post

I've got a new CM15 currently listed on eBay, PM me and I'll cut you a better price that what I've got it listed for.
                  Message sent. Thanks.
                  -Wade

Comment

Working...
                  X