Strange Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Error

Around two weeks ago I got back from a vacation and noticed that some of the inside decorations weren't coming on. They were all in/near the Great Room, so I figured me or a roommate had introduced some type of signal sucker into the circuit. I played around for several days putting noise filters on various items, without success. I eventually figured out that all the decorations that weren't working were on appliance modules. They had been working fine, so it wasn't a problem with device creation or the events. I finally got serious about fixing the problem and pulled out the trusty Elk ESM1 signal meter. It showed a great signal when I did an "All On" or "All Off", but when I addressed individual modules, nada. After racking my brain for a while, I went for the standard MicroSoft solution, namely rebooting the X10 plug-in. And presto, everything is working again. Nice strong signals across the board.

This was first time I've ever had issues with the PI.
    My system is described in my profile.

When you say X10 plug-in are you referring to your X10 interface? These types of issues is what finally drove me away from X10. My last signal sucker was an Alexa dot so I decided I was done and removed it all. The newer WIFI plugin modules are a great replacement and are actually cheaper than X10 modules.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No, the actual HS X10 plugin, now supported by MFisher. The modules that stopped working were all along one wall, so I made the incorrect assumption that they were all on the same circuit (they're not) and it was a signal problem (it wasn't). It was 100% a software issue.

BTW, I have decorations at the street, 500+ ft away from the house. The driveway slopes down sharply at the end, so the decorations are not within line-of-sight of the house. WiFi? Not going to happen. Z-Wave? Maybe if I slapped a plug-in module/repeater at every receptacle between the house and the street. X10 works like a champ. Sometime old and clunky fits the bill.

Comment

Are they all on the same House Code or something else in common other than being physically close together? Could it be the PIM?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I can't imagine that a software plugin would cause the X10 interface to send a weak signal. I'd guess the X10 interface was in a bad state and restarting the plugin may have reset it. Either way it's working. For the WIFI modules you can put them on the lead end of the extension cord close to the house
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Guys, it was NOT a signal attenuation problem. Don't fall down that rabbit hole like I did.

The CM11A wasn't transmitting when the command was for a specific module. "J" is all the outside decorations, "K" is the inside decorations, and "L" is the window candles. Thirty minutes prior to sunset, the inside decorations are turned on. The event transmits an "All Lights On" for housecode K, then a "K2 On" to turn on the appliance modules in the kitchen, followed by a "K4 On" for the appliance modules in the dining room, and so on until all the appliance modules are on. I plugged the meter in right next to the CM11A, broke the event into individual piece, and started kicking each part off manually. Transmit an "All Lights On", and the meter showed a nice 3+ volts. Transmit a "K2 On", and the meter didn't even flicker. Ditto for any of the other commands to a specific HC/UC. Once I restarted the PI, I was seeing signals when I was supposed to, and everything started working again.

At this point, I'm going to go with the thought that it was some type of weird random error. Maybe the power glitched and the PI code in memory got corrupted before the UPS kicked in. If it happens again, I'll have to turn on debugging so Mark can try to figure out what happened. Until then I'm not going to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              For the WIFI modules you can put them on the lead end of the extension cord close to the house
              Ah, but then I can't have the two deer hiding in the trees "randomly" appear.

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
                The CM11A wasn't transmitting when the command was for a specific module. "J" is all the outside decorations, "K" is the inside decorations, and "L" is the window candles. Thirty minutes prior to sunset, the inside decorations are turned on. The event transmits an "All Lights On" for housecode K, then a "K2 On" to turn on the appliance modules in the kitchen, followed by a "K4 On" for the appliance modules in the dining room, and so on until all the appliance modules are on. . . .started kicking each part off manually. Transmit an "All Lights On", and the meter showed a nice 3+ volts. Transmit a "K2 On", and the meter didn't even flicker. Ditto for any of the other commands to a specific HC/UC. Once I restarted the PI, I was seeing signals when I was supposed to, and everything started working again.
                So it didn't matter which house code? Any specific HC/UC address didn't transmit? But HC - All Lights On did work for all house codes?

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Exactly.

I tested with J6, K2, K6, K12, K14, and L2. Nada for all. But "All Lights On" and "All Units Off" worked fine for K and L.

Edit: Thinking back, one thing I didn't try was individually addressing a Light Module. All the HC/UC I tested above are for Appliance modules.

Comment

Originally posted by JLehnert View Post
                    ... Maybe the power glitched and the PI code in memory got corrupted before the UPS kicked in. If it happens again, I'll have to turn on debugging so Mark can try to figure out what happened. Until then I'm not going to worry about it.
                    When this happened was the X10 plugin receiving any X10 data, all X10 data or only the 'All' commands?

If the power glitched I would tend to suspect the CM11a before the plugin. In the X10 plugin, all X10 commands to be transmitted go through the same code path and I don't see a way that the PI could only send 'All Lights On' and 'All Units Off' and not send
                    commands to individually addressed units. I can imagine the CM11a getting into an odd state where it would be properly receiving commands from the PI but not transmit to individual devices, then when the plugin is 'rebooted' it re-initializes the CM11a.

If it happens again please turn debug mode on and upload/post your logs so we can see what is going on.
                    Best regards,
                    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Based on your comments, I can see where it might have been the CM11A, and not the PI.

I couldn't tell you what the PI was receiving, just what I could observe coming over the powerline. If it happens again I can save the log and capture some debug information, but I'm thinking it was just a fluke. This was just so bizarre.

Comment

Working...
                      X