Help Needed - Compatibility Recommendations: HS Zee S2 (pi) <-> X10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed - Compatibility Recommendations: HS Zee S2 (pi) <-> X10

I currently use an X10 controller (it is a HomeVision, which is actually off-line at the moment) and would like to move all of my X10 switches and outlets (many of these are 2-way comms) onto my HS Zee S2 (raspberry pi). I am looking for the most effective way of doing that.

My HomeSeer is "HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.548 (Linux)"

While not entirely necessary, I'd prefer a solution that is future-proof in that it will/is supported under HS4; I am currently running HS3. The "good news/bad news" thread here https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/lighting-primary-technology-plug-ins/lighting-primary-technology-discussion/x10-homeseer/1359804-x10-cm15a-plugins-under-hs4" discusses the current inability to add new devices under HS4, which is acceptable; I can add new devices under HS3, and I do not plan to purchase more X10's in the future. Again, this is a nice to have feature.

It appears that the HomeSeer "X10 plugin" is for RS-232 serial devices which work with hardware such as the CM11A & TI103, and I am not even sure if they are able to connect to the pi's serial port.

Other hardware like the CM15A, requires a plugin for that device's USB connection, and I am not sure if it can work under the Zee S2 pi, and am not sure if the CM15A plugin is or will be supported under HS4.

I've seen mention of another device called 1132CU, not sure what that is, but recall reading that it is not supported under Linux.

There are lots of threads here, for which I am grateful, but I am looking for a solution that is rock solid and that works. Any how-to pointers would be also appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance,

-mike

nychawk

Personal opinion here is the use of the CM11A serial device which works with any USB to serial device cable. The RPi / Zee does not have a serial port rather just USB ports.

The CM11A has been around now for quit a few years and I would write here that it is future proof. It works fine with the the Windows / Linux (Zee-RPi) Homeseer 3 / 4 plugin.

Been doing X10 here since 1978 and Homeseer X10 since the late 1990's using the CM11A.

Currently testing HS4 beta running in Ubuntu Linux with the CM11A X10 plugin and it works fine.

The X10 Homeseer 3 plugin always worked fine for me.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, thank you so much for your insight!

I believe the pi does have a serial port, its on the GPIO header contained inside of the case; the Zee S2 uses that header to connect its z-wave interface onto.
      Unless you have serial port support added into the OS, then connecting to that makes no sense.

I will try the CM11A with USB <> serial cable, I have a few lying around the house.

Thank you so much!

Comment

Well, I have plenty of serial port to USB adapters laying around, but no CM11A; my HomeVision uses a TW523 (2-way) interface.

Any suggestions for where to find a good CM11A, are they all the same?

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer forum!!

Yes the the first USB to serial device will come up as /dev/ttyUSB0. It is common practice to use the USB to serial cables on many legacy serial automation controllers.

The TW-523 and the CM11A are different types of X10 devices. Here utilize a dual phased TW-523 like Volp interface for my OmniPro 2 panel.

The TW523 protocol is a digitized version of the signal bursts sent over the powerline. Devices like the discontinued Stargate, HomeVision, Ocelot, Elk M1, OmniPro and the WGL transceivers use that protocol. It was developed by X10 back before computers became a household item, and is not at all compatible with the serial or USB port on a computer.
          The CM11A uses RS232 while the TW523 is TTL.

You can also purchase a similiar CM11A emulator from Volp which would work as a CM11A on steroids.

That said check out ebay for CM11A's. I see a few there for $20.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've purchased one, hard to find them listed as new without high price tags for shipping.
            I am looking forward into integrating X10 switches into HS!

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Good news. Let us know how it goes.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just got my CM11A over the weekend, and I followed the instructions on this page https://forums.homeseer.com/filedata/fetch?id=1208993 to add my X10 dimmable switches.

I began by testing a lamp module, they are easily configured thru manual dials versus my SmartHome ones which require me to transmit a house/unit code within 30 seconds of resetting. I was able to add one, and even able to see it as a dimmable switch! Unfortunately, my luck ended omethere as none of my other switches were able to be added.

One odd thing worth mentioning is that any attempts to add a new device after the first, even though it has not been successfully added, does not show it as dimmable, only an on and off button.

I haven't given up, and was wondering if there is any way to easily transmit a house and unit code?

Also, has anyone else experienced issues adding SmartHome dimmers?

Thank you,

-mike

Comment

Hello Mike, welcome to using HomeSeer and the X10 plugin!

I use SmartHome X10 devices almost exclusively so am familiar with using them. Two things to note: 1) when adding a new X10 device you must select a 'Device Type' of either "Appliance" (for On/Off modules), "Standard" (for regular X10 modules that do not support Preset Dim) or "Preset" (for SmartHome dimmers that support the Preset Dim protocol, many do). When in doubt just use Appliance or Standard.

Once you've created your devices in HS you can program the SmartHome devices by placing them in programming model and commanding the device on or off from HS and it will send the required X10 [Address][ON] (for local control) or [Address][OFF] (for no local control of device).

Let us know how you fare and if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                  X