X10 Security Sensor ownership [clarification]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 Security Sensor ownership [clarification]

Have a problem and don't know if a SimpleRF or X10 plug-in solution. I posted on the SimpleRF forum but now believe my solution is more X10 plug-in related.
    I bought a couple of the X10 Security Motion Sensors which do not use standard X10 addresses. SimpleRF picks up the MS18 signal and ID code and creates a "SimpleRF Motion Sensor" on the Homeseer Device Management page. When motion is detected the new device turns ON, then OFF in a few seconds. However when I create an Event using the SimpleRF Motion Sensor device as a trigger, the Event does not run.
    Checking the Device Configuration page, the X10 tab does not show, so the X10 plug-in does not know the X10 Security Sensor device exits. I am guessing that could be why the event does not run, but I don't know how to fix. The X10 Plug-in does not allow me to create a MS18 Security device, only devices that use the standard X10 address code. Unkle Michael suggested I screen shot the event, so will post here also. Any insight appreciated.

Never mind I found my mistake. Old geezer thinking....sigh.

Comment

Hi Dave, I know that you asked to have this thread deleted but I think it's valuable to keep in case others find themselves asking a similar question.

Yes, this is a confusing situation! These RF security devices are "X10 devices" and the plugin is named "X10" so one might naturally conclude that the plugin must be able to manage them.

Note that any HS device created by a plugin is owned by that plugin and a separate plugin cannot process events, etc. for it - only the owning plugin can do that. So in this case the SimpleRF plugin 'owns' the MS18 device and must manage and process events for it.

Also note that the X10 plugins (X10, CM15a-Win, CM15a-Linux) do not support any RF X10 devices and why you cannot add a security device in these plugins.
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post

Also note that the X10 plugins (X10, CM15a-Win, CM15a-Linux) do not support any RF X10 devices and why you cannot add a security device in these plugins.
        Just clarify this statement - are you saying that the X10 plugin doesnt support x10 RF devices ie motion sensors ??
        I have used the X10 plugin to create new Devices in HS - and these devices can be used by or responded to by other plugins - ie Simple RF.

my understanding was that the X10 security modules signals configuration are different from the so called "standard x10" modules.
        this is why security modules can only be control by software that supports them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
          Never mind I found my mistake. Old geezer thinking....sigh.
          Dave - did you try in the Event - to use the status of the device - ie when the "Porch Motion" changes to "ON" as the trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Mate View Post
            Just clarify this statement - are you saying that the X10 plugin doesnt support x10 RF devices ie motion sensors ??
            I have used the X10 plugin to create new Devices in HS - and these devices can be used by or responded to by other plugins - ie Simple RF.

my understanding was that the X10 security modules signals configuration are different from the so called "standard x10" modules.
            this is why security modules can only be control by software that supports them.
            Your understanding is correct concerning the RF signal, but the HS X10 plug-in is neither necessary nor sufficient. A plug-in that communicates to X10 RF security devices is all that is required. (It is interesting that you can use a HS device "owned" by the X10 plug-in, but that is probably because the X10 plug-in does not restrict other plug-ins from controlling its devices.)

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
            X