Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper way to save after configuration change

Greetings,
    In a X10 Homeseer system, device creation takes place under the Configuration Tab, but must be "saved" (click Done) under the X10 tab for plug-in ownership. So after device creation, if I want to change something in configuration do I click "Done" on the Configuration tab or on the X10 tab? Or does it matter.

Hi Dave,

If you change any X10 setting then you click 'done' on that tab (X10 or CM15a). If you are changing a HS setting like room, floor, etc. Then you click 'done' on that config tab.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

OK. If I change location and use the X10 Tab "Done" it still gets saved doesn't it?

The reason I ask, I am trying to fix an Alexa problem. When I first integrated Alexa, she only identified a device by the "Name" on the Device Management page. At some point things changed and now Alexa includes both Location 1 and Location 2 in the device description. e.g. the device name is "master bed room TV lamp". Location 1 is "master bed room" and location 2 (a left over from HS2) is "master bed room". So, if Alexa wants to say the lamp isn't responding, it becomes: "master bed room, master bed room, master bed room, TV lamp is not responding".

My fix right now is, under the configuration tab, I am deleting all entries under "Location 2" to at least reduce one part of the response, but I am also unclicking "dimmable" on some devices which I presume to be an X10 field. I have been saving under the X10 tab. It appears clicking "Done" on the X10 tab is also saving the new Location 2. Is this OK or are all the locations going to re-appear after a restart or something?

Also do you know what caused the change ( Dave W end, HST end, or Amazon end) ?

Thanks for your inputs!

Comment

Clicking 'Done' on the 'X10' tab will save any changes to the X10 config (HouseCode, UnitCode, Device Type) and any changes made on the 'Config' tab.

Clicking 'Done' on the 'Config' tab will only save changes made on the 'Config' tab and WILL NOT save changes made on the X10 tab.

In general, the plugin does not use, change or manage the items on the 'Config' tab; these are used & managed by HS.

Clicking 'Done' on either tab causes HS to save the device settings to the database (as listed above), so things will not magically revert back after a restart.

Also do you know what caused the change ( Dave W end, HST end, or Amazon end) ?
        As I've mentioned in other posts, the X10 plugin simply does 3 things:
        1) sends X10 data on the power line when HS tells it that a device was changed (by the user or an event)
        2) updates the value of a device when X10 data is received on the power line
        3) lets HS know that a plugin event trigger has occurred based on X10 data received on the power line

The plugin does not interact with other plugins or change any settings on it's own. Given your description of the issue I would suspect something may have changed with the Alexa plugin, or perhaps something in HS has become corrupted. Does this issue persist after you restart HS?
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
          Given your description of the issue I would suspect something may have changed with the Alexa plugin, or perhaps something in HS has become corrupted.
          Does this issue persist after you restart HS?[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
          Yes it did.
          But fixed now by using the Device Name in the "Voice Command" field on configuration page. Previously I had left "Voice Command" field blank. I started with HS2 and did not want to use the Homeseer voice control, so never populated the Voice Command field in HS2 or HS3. Then Alexa began using the Location 1 and Location 2 fields in responses late last year I believe.

I see a few mentions of similar experiences in the HS Alexa forums so it happened at either the Amazon end or HST end.

Comment

Working...
          X