X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem installing/starting X10 plugin with CM11A interface [Open issue]

I can't get the interface started. Here's my system info:

Date/time=4/16/2022 3:59:22 PM CDT
    Version=HS4 Standard Edition 4.1.10.0 (Linux)
    MONO Version=Mono JIT compiler version 5.0.1.1 (2017-02/5077205 Thu May 25 09:18:45 UTC 2017)

License=Registered
    MyHS Subscription=Basic
    MyHS Subscription Backup Interval=No Backup
    MyHS Subscription Max Cameras=1
    Confguration File=/usr/local/HomeSeer/Data/HomeSeerData.json
    Uptime=0 Days 0 Hours 47 Minutes 5 Seconds
    User/Access=brad@joyfulhome.org (Admin)
    Lan IP=192.168.1.42 (hometrollerSEL)
    Client IP=192.168.1.52 (192.168.1.52)
    Device Count=202
    Event Count=32
    Last Event Ran=Floor Lighting : P2 Hall Floor Off, Ran at 4/16/2022 3:53:48 PM
    # of unique event scripts=0
    Plugins Enabled=MeiHarmonyHub:,OMNI:,Z-Wave:,X10:
    Modules/Threads=69 Modules, 49 Threads
    Available Threads=199
    HomeSeer Memory Used=97 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=MeiHarmonyHub 3.1.0.16,OMNI 3.0.2.23,X10 3.0.0.60,Z-Wave 3.0.4.0

If I select the Plugins - Installed menu, I can see a card for the X10 plugin. It says version 3.0.0.60, with this message:
    "WARNING: Failed getting InterfaceStatus from X10 - the interface was not found in the list of active interfaces, the list may need to be refreshed."

Under the Plugins menu, X10 is not show as a menu item.

When I restart HomeSeer, this is the log:

4/16/2022 3:12:36 PM HomeSeer Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in X10
    4/16/2022 3:12:36 PM HomeSeer Starting Plug-In X10 loaded in 2409 milliseconds
    4/16/2022 3:12:36 PM HomeSeer Info Plugin X10 with ID: and Instance: has disconnected
    4/16/2022 3:12:36 PM HomeSeer Error Initializing plug-in(2): X10 Instance::Object reference not set to an instance of an objectSTACK: at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object:__icall_wrapper_mono_remoting_wrapper (intptr,intptr)
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke) HomeSeerAPI.IPlugInAPI:InitIO (string)
    at Scheduler.PluginHolder.InitIO (System.String PortNumber) [0x0000b] in :0
    at Scheduler.clsHSPI.CheckInterfaces () [0x000bf] in :0
    4/16/2022 3:12:36 PM Legacy-Plugin X10 INFO Initializing CM11A/12U on COM port /dev/ttyS1
    4/16/2022 3:12:35 PM Legacy-Plugin X10 INFO The X10 plugin is attempting to connect to the CM11A interface...
    4/16/2022 3:12:34 PM Legacy-Plugin X10 INFO X10 plugin version 3.0.0.60 is starting...
    4/16/2022 3:12:34 PM HomeSeer Starting Plug-In Initializing plugin X10 ...
    4/16/2022 3:12:34 PM HomeSeer Info Plugin X10 has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:57028

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

I have seen that error before when my settings lost the Comport of the CM11A. I use a virtual serial port with my Homeseer and it somehow got changed.

Comment

@bvspearing

Best to edit your post and remove your license ID.

What hardware are you using for Homeseer? RPi? Intel computer? Does it have a 9 pin serial port or just USB ports

How are you connecting the CM11A cable to your Homeseer computer?

1 - are you using a serial 9 pin port on your computer?
      2 - are you using a USB port on your computer?

/dev/ttyS1 is typically utilized for a 9 pin comm port connection.

For a USB to serial cable typically first one connected is /dev/ttyUSB0...or second one is /dev/ttyUSB1...

- Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete

Many thanks for your reply! Please see below:

Best to edit your post and remove your license ID.

-- Done. Thanks!

What hardware are you using for Homeseer? RPi? Intel computer? Does it have a 9 pin serial port or just USB ports

-- From my post: "Lan IP=192.168.1.42 (hometrollerSEL)" They don't sell the "hometrollerSEL" any longer. A current device that is similar to the hometrollerSEL is the "HomeTroller Plus" (https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...smart-home-hub).

How are you connecting the CM11A cable to your Homeseer computer?

1 - are you using a serial 9 pin port on your computer?

-- No. The hometrollerSEL has no 9 pin ports

2 - are you using a USB port on your computer?

-- Yes. The hometrollerSEL has 3 USB ports. I am using a "9-pin to USB" adapter cable to connect the 9-pin cable form the CM11A to one of the USB ports on the hometrollerSEL.

/dev/ttyS1 is typically utilized for a 9 pin comm port connection.

For a USB to serial cable typically first one connected is /dev/ttyUSB0...or second one is /dev/ttyUSB1...

-- Makes sense. Is there any way to tell the X10 plugin to use /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1?

Thanks again!

Comment

-- Makes sense. Is there any way to tell the X10 plugin to use /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1?

Note that the X10 plugin does not automagically find the port to use.

More than likely if it is the only device plugged in to a serial to USB cable then the drop down for the configuration for the X10 plugin will show ttyUSB0. Choose this one and watch the logs and you will see it connect to your CM11A.

Go to the X10 configuration (I have mine currently unplugged). For you the ttyUSB0 will be on the bottom of the list. Scroll down to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	X10-1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1537337

Two ways to find out the port in Linux

1 - ssh to your hometrollerSEL

If running Windows to access your HS device you can utilize Putty or if you have a monitor and keyboard connected to your Linux computer then you can type the following in a terminal window.

type:

sudo ls /dev/ttyUSB*

You will see the comm port listed like this:

ttyUSB0, 1, 2, 3.

If it is only one USB to serial cable then it will be ttyUSB0

or

2 - on the HS drop down go to;

Tools / Linux / Linux tools /

login

and type ls /dev/ttyUSB*

Name:	X10-2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1537338

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

All makes sense. However, I can't get to the X10 Settings page. The X10 plugin is not listed in the menu:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-17 141729.png
Views:	214
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1537368
            The Plugins / Installed page shows this:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-17 141904.png
Views:	210
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1537369
            What am I missing?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Comment

bvspearing Sorry you're having issues getting this running. First, I'm really curious why the plugin is trying to use /dev/ttyS1 for the ComPort as it does not select a port when initially run after installation. Did you set it to /dev/ttyS1 initially?

1) What happens when you click the MORE button on the plugins page?

Click image for larger version  Name:	HS3HS4 X10PluginStatus.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	1537430
              You should be able to access the plugin Config from here and select the proper COM port from the dropdown. When this page is opened, the Plugin asks the system for the currently available COM ports and provides them in a dropdown for you to select from. When you select a port it is immediately saved (in plain text) in the ini file. You then click the Update button and the plugin attempts to reload the CM11a object and connect to the device on the new ComPort. It will show you the connection status on the Config page.

2) If you cannot access the Config page then you'll have to disable the plugin and edit the plugin ini file, which is located in the HomeSeer/Config directory and is named X10.ini. Here's an example ini, yours will likely not have all this info:
              Code:
              [Default]
              PluginDebug=False
              Protocol=1
              ComPort=COM8
              baudrate=9600
              PollInterval=300
              ignorehcstring=0000000000000000
              rawlog=False
              inlog=False
              outlog=False
              execlog=True
              callbacklog=False
              Edit the ComPort= line and delete whatever is after =. In your case this will be ComPort=/dev/ttyS1 so make it ComPort= then save the file. Make sure your USB-RS232 adapter is plugged in, enable the plugin in HS and access the Config page from the MORE button. Select the proper ComPort from the dropdown (it should be something like /dev/ttyUSB0 as Pete mentioned above) and click Update.

Please let us know what happens!
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Do the drop down for MORE which shows:

1 - config plugin
                2 - add a new X10 device
                3 - X10 device list
                4 - help

Pick config plugin and you will see the above screen.

Thinking once configured to the correct serial port you and enabled you will see it in the drop down box.

I disabled 4 plugins just now and do not see them in the plugins drop down. When I enabled X10 (with errors cuz it is disconnected) I saw the X10 plugin.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, the More dropdown shows nothing - only a single blank box.

I'm headed to bed now, but I'll try editing the Config file tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry to bother people with this question, but I'll probably get an answer more quickly here than through support.

I used PuTTY to connect to my hometrollerSEL. I logged in using the default "homeseer" account. That account does not have permission to modify the X10.ini file. I don't recall ever setting a password for the "system" account, so I don't know that.

Any suggestions?

Comment

On the Homeseer 4 GUI change the Homeseer admin password. You can then utilize this password.

Personally here create system homeseer and "pete" users and sync the passwords with the same names in the gui.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Looking at your screen dump, the X10 plugin is not even listed in the dropdown list which means it's disabled.

Go into the Add or Installed portion and enable the plugin so that it starts and then shows up.

Comment

On the HS4 GUI change the Homeseer admin password. You can then utilize this password.

Personally here create system homeseer and "pete" users and sync the passwords with the same names in the gui.

--------------------------

I'm sorry, Pete, but I can't figure out how to do this. I tried selecting Tools - Linux - Change System Password, but the new pw I entered did not work. Again, I'm sorry. This is uncharted territory for me.

Comment

Try using hsthsths4 as an admin password.

It is mentioned here:

https://homeseer.com/guides/HomeSeer-HS4Pi-Guide.pdf

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks Pete. That did not work. I've opened a support ticket with support@homeseer.com to find out how to login. I'll be back when I get that figured out.

Comment

Working...
                              X